where do i belong?

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.
I am type 3c but thats not properly recognised by our GP's so they said they'll keep me down as type 2 but to explain to any health care that I'm not strictly type 2 ??????

According to what i have read i am closer to type 1 than 2.

I want to join in with certain topics on here but not sure where i belong :cry: . Eg. The fasting blood results do i go with 1 or 2?

shop

Hi Mistee,

It must be so frustrating. The only thing I would say is with wanting to see where you fit, I would look at where the treatment similarities lie, as the majority of topics and suggestions seem to be about treatment and BG control. I dont know if this helps or not.

Lucy.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Mistee
I would suggest you set your own targets and take control of your condition. It may be a bit of a fight, but ultimately it will be best. Reading Bernstein could be helpful
Hana

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.
I was happy when i was classed type 2, I fitted in, i belonged. Now i dont. I feel alone again and want to belong. :cry:

I'm on the outside looking in on two groups.

Is there anyone in this forum the same as me?

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
I am a bit-Type 1.5 but not on Insulin as yet so I feel a bit in a 'Grey area' when it comes to posting but I'm trying to fit in wherever I can but it's not always easy especially as I'm not great at typing out how I feel.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
mistee71 said:
I am type 3c but thats not properly recognised by our GP's so they said they'll keep me down as type 2 but to explain to any health care that I'm not strictly type 2 ??????

According to what i have read i am closer to type 1 than 2.

I want to join in with certain topics on here but not sure where i belong :cry: . Eg. The fasting blood results do i go with 1 or 2?

What is type 3c? I've never heard of that so am interested to know more :)

mistee71

Dislikes
Type 3c is diabetes caused by chronic pancreatitis instead of the " usual " ways of getting diabetes.

Paul1976, yes i suppose you are in a simular posistion but at least with type 1.5 you no it's late on set of type one :)

desidiabulum

'Diabetes is not a single disease but a syndrome with at least fifty possible causes' (R. Tattersall, Diabetes. The biography).

Mistee I really sympathize, but at least there are a growing number of people who don't quite fit the categories.
I went to a Diabetes Awareness Day where we all heard a big diabetes professor say that in the future we will be seen as having lived in a very primitive age when people assumed you were either T1 or T2 -- he forecast we will soon be talking about HUNDREDS of types of diabetes. Immediately afterwards, of course, we were then told to divide up into separate groups, either T1 or T2. There were a gratifying number of us who didn't fit -- not just LADA, 1.5 etc. I think I'm officially 'God knows'. It's two years after initial diagnosis and the clinic still can't make up its mind. I have to put 'MODY?' on forms, but I want to put another ten ???s after it because the tests are still inconclusive
Lucy is right to say that the key thing is to follow the nearest treatment threads that work. Insulin or not insulin is the main distinction, I suppose.
In a limited way, I suppose everyone on this forum finds that they don't fit in quite 100% -- that our bodies respond in different ways to different types of treatment/diet etc. We only suffer from a common syndrome -- and ultimately it's quite nice that we find enough common ground in treatment strategies to be able to talk to each other.

Reactions: 2 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
desidiabulum
Good post, thoroughly agree. We don't all fit neatly into little boxes.
Even T3c varies including both those who have a damaged pancreas to those who have had their pancreas removed.
MODY has 12 different variations (so far found) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maturity_o ... _the_young
I know of a woman on another forum who calls herself Type Weird; probably applies to many of us :lol:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
mistee71 said:
I was happy when i was classed type 2, I fitted in, i belonged. Now i dont. I feel alone again and want to belong. :cry:

I'm on the outside looking in on two groups.

Is there anyone in this forum the same as me?
This has got my attention ... :)
mistee71 please DO stay with us and KEEP posting where you need to.
There IS usually ALWAYS someone who will come along and offer you some help and support.
You must not feel alone , we're here to listen, support and help the best that we can.
You are still "ONE OF US" regardless of TYPE !!! :thumbup:
Much love and thoughts.
Anna.x

shop

Mistee,

I totaly agree with what Anna has said we are all after the same thing here, to keep our Bgs under control, and to avoid complications and stay healthy. I dont just read the T1 threads and have been given invaluable advice and support regardless of type. Its the people on this forum that make it not the type!!!

There are other members who have different reasons etc for diabetes and I am sure they can understand more how you feel. However I think I can speak on behalf of the majority of members here when I say we are all here to listen and even if we can't all give practical advice, we can always give emotional and moral support.

Hope you feel better about this soon. Noone likes to think of one of us being miserable.

HUGS.

Lucy. :)

Unbeliever

If you really need a label Mistee , then "diabetes sufferer " is enough.. as the others have said the present arbitrary ! or " distinctions mean very litltle.
I understand that there are large scale studies being done to ifdenify and classify the different yoes and to tailor the reatment more to the indicvidual. All very good but it will take some time.

I would just concentrate on finding out about he best treatnment and the reatment hat works for you.
Most of us complain about the One-size -fis -all attitude of the NHs anyhow. At least you KNOW you are not T"2 and noone should be surprised if standaed reatments saffec you differently.

You could have your own thread for it or maybe to include anyone else who has had a diagnosis other than 1 or 2.

You are special.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
mistee71 said:

Post where ever you like if the thread is relevant to you or you have an opinion on something, this is am open forum, there are no rules as to where you can and cant post as far as I'm aware :D

As for posting bg levels Ive never seen why anyone would want to anyway other than to show off, but if you feel the need to join in but dont feel comfortable posting to the "what was your BG blah blah" or the "what was your blah blah T1" then simply start your own thread and call it "What was you BG blah blah everyone else".

Alternatively you could post to T1 if you start insulin treatment and T2 if you dont, although some T2 do use insulin treatment, of course this is just getting silly now which is another good reason not to post on these threads.

Surely others fasting bg levels have no relevance to anyone else, everybody eats a different diet and has different exercise levels and many other things will come into play, some will be affected by the DP and others wont, those who do will never compete in fasting levels with those who dont. Some are happy to run at a higher level than some others and some strive to get as low as possible at all costs.

We are all different so why try to compare yourself with others, that way lies madness IMO :D

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Hey Mistee you post wherever you like as you're so special to us all :D 3c eh? Sounds like a bad form year at school.

Unbeliever

While I agree wth you in the main about the fasting bgs Sid, I think that there is an element of the "weight watchers" mentality here.

Posting the result every day might help some people to stay on track . As might reading the results others are getting.

It wouldn't particularly work for me and obviousy not for you either but the fact hat the T2 thread has run for so long and that there is now a T1 hread means it must be of some use o someone.

I often wonder if it is for some the online equivalent of the blood testing diary we used to have to show to the nurse in the good old days when srips were available to all, I know several pepople who didnt bother to test and just wrote down what they though were acceptable figures and others who might have tested but didn't record the results and brought the diaries up to date without consulting the meter on the same day as the appoinment.

At least posting fasting levels on line doesn't cost anything and even if it is "vanity publishing " for some it might still help.
I can see it might be depressing reading for some but practically anything can be if you are really depressed.

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
I don't see the fasting threads as vanity posting. I think they provide an keep-on-track purpose for individuals (like me) and also provide encouragement for new members on the board. If you read the Type 2 thread, you'll see that there are very supportive and helpful posts which can't be a bad thing at all. I also think they help evolve the sense of community here.

Highlanders

Dislikes
Those who try to tell me what I should do. Pompous, arrogant people who think they know everything after 5 minutes!
didie said:
I don't see the fasting threads as vanity posting. I think they provide an keep-on-track purpose for individuals (like me) and also provide encouragement for new members on the board. If you read the Type 2 thread, you'll see that there are very supportive and helpful posts which can't be a bad thing at all. I also think they help evolve the sense of community here.

Not so sure I agree, I posted my result on there this morning but then began to wonder if I should have. I.m one of those fortunate people who dont have any other problems, fit and healthy apart from diabetes.

My view is that seeing all those people possibly like myself posting obviously low numbers might just scare people off, make them give up hope and go away. They may be thinking such low levels as I and a few others can achieve are unatainable for them and lose heart. Its one thing showing people what can be done but it can also be a big de-motivator in my experience of getting people to attain a goal.

I think TBH we should keep our everyday numbers to ourselves and just offer advice not shout 'look at me', 'look how well Im doing. It does seem a bit like bragging to me IMHO> Mind you I never thought the fasting bg level was much of an indicator, I prefer the 2 hr after reading myself as a more valid indicator.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
If you don't agree with it don't read the thread or post on it! Pretty obvious really.

Don't see it as vanity its a means of support that I for one find useful and is no different from the "what's your weight loss this week one" which many of us also post in as a similar means of support. If a new member finds encouragement from it like I did don't see the issue.

Reactions: 4 people
A

Anonymous

well I guess I can say I sort of understand you Mistee as I'm technically type 2... although I don't produce enough insulin anymore so I have to stay on insulin. Most type 2's are able to control their condition with diet, exercise, and maybe oral meds. Some get put on insulin short term to help them to get back under control. I don't fit any of that now... so really I'm like a type 1 in how I treat my condition.... although it would be nice to have a gauge to know what I'm actually producing still as I swear it differs. But then again nothing about this condition seems to make a lot of sense... it's abnormal. :lol: