Where to carry medication and blood / ketone testing supplies...hand luggage or hold luggage...

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Am going away on holiday next week and just wondering where is best to carry test strips and ketostixs for testing when away....I know that insulin has to be carried in hand luggage because the temperature can be too cold in the hold but just wondered if the same rule applied for test strips etc...could they be affected by extremes of temperature that will either render them useless or inaccurate......does anyone have any advice or experience of this...

Emilyprice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think test strips would be absolutely fine, I didn't know about the insulin temp prob in the storage but I always put some in both Incase I lose one / they lose one!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The strips I use have a temperature range on the box, bit I have no idea if that's the same for the ones your OH uses. But, for safety's sake, bearing in mind the brief duration of your holiday (that meaning they won't result in any great bulk or weight), I'd put them in the same place as his insulin, and do as EmilyPrice suggests and split it between both bags.

(I literally, just happen to be opening a new box of strips prior to testing my post-dinner bloods.)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Keep everything with you just in case your luggage goes astray.

Reactions: 4 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My golden rule for flying has always been never put anything in the hold you don't mind losing.
I carry on everything I need and can't replace easily.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Keep everything with you just in case your luggage goes astray.

Absolutely.
Anything medical, that you need every day, should be in your presence all the time.

Clothes, makeup, footwear and suncream can be easily replaced.
Meds? Not so much.

Have you ordered one of those frio travel cases for transporting insulin in warm climates (assuming you are going somewhere hot)?

Reactions: 2 people

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Have you ordered one of those frio travel cases for transporting insulin in warm climates (assuming you are going somewhere hot)?
@Brunneria ...he has ordered and received two different frio travel cases (1 large / 1 small) to carry insulin pens...am assuming they are easy enough to use as have not actually tried them yet......he has also purchased another bag to carry all his supplies in for blood testing etc and will be carrying this in his hand luggage with letter from GP..
..I normally carry his tablet medication in my hand luggage (carried in daily tablet boxes plus copy of prescription)..

.my plan was to take a spare blood testing monitor and test strips / lancets in my suitcase just in case his Accu chek monitor goes wrong or runs out of cartridge...was thinking of a back up plan just in case but not essential so felt that this would be ok put in hold ....also ketostix not considered an essential item as nurse says he doesn't need to use these unless ill....more of an 'in case of emergency' item...will reconsider where I put them as I do final packing...

...am off to Cape Verde so hope it is going to be hot!.....so hoping no luggage goes astray...perhaps I need to pack an item of swimwear in hand luggage just in case...:)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What happened to stepping back and letting your partner manage his own condition?

Reactions: 5 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
In the words of that great Chicago song, Gone, long gone

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What happened to stepping back and letting your partner manage his own condition?
@Indy51 ....I would argue that I am stepping back but that all I am doing here is making sure that he has everything he needs to manage his condition whilst we are away....we will not be just around the corner to pop back if he has forgotten anything and where we are going does not have a local pharmacist or shop down the road to go and get something he is missing (it is not that sort of place / just hotel complex).....also just to be prepared for a situation where he may become unwell on holiday and having the tools available to deal with it...

...also that I have noticed a very worrying trend with his memory lately...both relating to his diabetes (never remembering what he should do when) and just generally (forgetting what he was about to do or say, amongst other things...is becoming increasingly noticeable / noticed numerous examples just yesterday)....he never remembers what the diabetic nurse or other healthcare professional tells him or at least only remembers some of it.......I fear that there is a very real prospect of having to deal with a diabetic on insulin with dementia some time in the future...:(

So am only doing what I need to do at the moment in order to hopefully have a relaxing and relatively stress free holiday....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Molly56, it's also a good idea to split your husbands diabetes supplies between both your hand luggage, that way if one bag goes missing you have enough to tide you over, also take a copy of his repeat prescription should he need any supplies whilst on holiday, you can then present this at a pharmacy or local gp clinic.

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Indy51
...also that I have noticed a very worrying trend with his memory lately...both relating to his diabetes (never remembering what he should do when) and just generally (forgetting what he was about to do or say, amongst other things...is becoming increasingly noticeable / noticed numerous examples just yesterday)....he never remembers what the diabetic nurse or other healthcare professional tells him or at least only remembers some of it.......I fear that there is a very real prospect of having to deal with a diabetic on insulin with dementia some time in the future...:(

Golden rule. all D supplies & spares in the hand luggage.. Never let it out of your sight. There is a shed load of threads on this subject regarding travelling with diabetes... ;)

More worrying though is reference to what is selected in the quote above.. (It stands out to me due to my past experience with a T2 & dementia.)
Didn't you say your partner fell off a chair & that you couldn't understand what he was actually doing standing on the chair in another thread??

Have a great holiday, both of you!

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
More worrying though is reference to what is selected in the quote above.. (It stands out to me due to my past experience with a T2 & dementia.)
Didn't you say your partner fell off a chair & that you couldn't understand what he was actually doing standing on the chair in another thread??

@Jaylee ...yes I did say that... though the reason I said that I didn't understand it was that he already has a dodgy knee and hip so to contemplate actually climbing up onto a chair of all things was a foolish and daft thing to do ....and was not necessary as I had already climbed up myself to remove the offending lightbulb and leave it on the table with precise instructions as to what size replacement was required...and to clarify he was not trying to put the replacement one in as did not get as far as buying it...it was the fact it was a physical act that he does not normally do rather than indicating it was odd or strange...

Am interested that you say you have past experience with a T2 and dementia...did it involve insulin or was it tablet controlled...am not sure that my partner is heading down that route but does concern me about his memory issues....have definitely noticed a marked decline in mental capacity since I first got to know him six years ago..and perhaps getting worse over the last year / months.....nothing official has been mentioned or diagnosed but i guess it is only by living with someone and noticing the signs that these things get picked up....and then only if mentioned to a GP and acted on...

Am planning to pack all diabetic supplies in hand luggage I think and make sure that I have tabs on it at all times even if I end up looking like a donkey at the airport and carrying all the bags...am not going to leave anything to chance until we arrive at our holiday destination...once we get there I can safely step away and leave him to get on with it...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee ...yes I did say that... though the reason I said that I didn't understand it was that he already has a dodgy knee and hip so to contemplate actually climbing up onto a chair of all things was a foolish and daft thing to do ....and was not necessary as I had already climbed up myself to remove the offending lightbulb and leave it on the table with precise instructions as to what size replacement was required...and to clarify he was not trying to put the replacement one in as did not get as far as buying it...it was the fact it was a physical act that he does not normally do rather than indicating it was odd or strange...

My experience with T2? Pill controlled.. Looking back at certain small incidences.. Then the diagnosis on dementia. The early warnings were there.

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My experience with T2? Pill controlled.. Looking back at certain small incidences.. Then the diagnosis on dementia. The early warnings were there.
@Jaylee ...was thinking perhaps I should ask this in a separate thread but just wanted to follow on from your comments.....am just intrigued as to what the small incidences and early warnings were....am increasingly noticing issues with his memory and behaviour but not sure whether to put this down to his age....his diabetes and high blood sugar levels ...or something else...
...final packing today and travel to airport / checking in cases has highlighted a number of worrying issues....can see the next two weeks are going to be challenging...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee ...was thinking perhaps I should ask this in a separate thread but just wanted to follow on from your comments.....am just intrigued as to what the small incidences and early warnings were....am increasingly noticing issues with his memory and behaviour but not sure whether to put this down to his age....his diabetes and high blood sugar levels ...or something else...
...final packing today and travel to airport / checking in cases has highlighted a number of worrying issues....can see the next two weeks are going to be challenging...

Hi again,

On reflection? There were quite a few small out of character events leading months & possibly even years upto my father's diagnosis of dementia.. We are all different things to different people regarding the dynamics of relashonsips. So I only saw one aspect as the son.. I also had a duty to maintain his dignity during this difficult time of his life..

To be fair to your partner. His character is portrayed by your posts on this site. So unless there is an official diagnosis? I have no wish to persue this subject other than suggest a possible route for you to gain a compassionate understanding.