1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Which are good fruits and which are bad?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by bullseye58, Feb 16, 2014.

1. bullseye58

bullseye58 Type 2 · Member

After only being diagnosed a couple of weeks ago I'm still a little confused about what I can eat and not eat! I'm currently eating green seedless grapes and blueberries. I also buy a lot of banana's and sometimes pears.
    I'm type 2 and currently taking 500mgs of metformin twice a day.

2. carraway

carraway Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

All fruit is good for you but some a re higher in sugars (carbohydrates ) than others. Grapes and bananas are amongst the highest and berries the lowest.

The best advice would be to check your blood sugar after eating them and see which raise your blood sugar and avoid them

3. Andy12345

Andy12345 Type 2 · Expert

i agree with carra, berries are best :) blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries and test test test :)

4. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

Hi,

The only way to find out which fruits are good or bad for you is to test and see. If you have been denied a meter and test strips then it is in the best interests of your health to buy one. The Codefree is a cheap one and many on here use it. You will never know what are the right foods for you if you do not test.
    http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm

If you eat fruit as part of a meal it will have less impact on your blood sugars than if you use it as a snack.

#4 catherinecherub, Feb 16, 2014 at 10:30 AM
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  5. andy williams

andy williams Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Green bananas, lemons & limes, yellow/white grapefruit, cherries.

6. Andy12345

Andy12345 Type 2 · Expert

be very careful with grapefruit if you take statins

• Like Like x 2
  7. bullseye58

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. I currently don't have anything to check my blood sugar so you could say I'm in the dark about what's good and bad at the moment! I did ask the nurse for one but she told me it wasn't necessary at this stage!

8. carraway

carraway Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Hi

The NHS can be a bit mean in that respect but I think if they wont part with one you should buy one. Or argue your case with the nurse/GP

It will be the best way you have of seeing how you are doing regularly, you'll know what to eat and not eat and will know the overall picture and make adjustments accordingly.

Lots of meter companies will give you a meter for free but the test strips can be a bit pricey.

Lots of us in the group have opted for SD Code free (I got mine from Amazon) because the strips are one third the price of others

I wouldn't want to be in the dark! I don't test as much as I did at the beginning because I know my problem foods now.

Good luck

Cara

• Like Like x 2
  9. bullseye58

Thanks for that Cara.

10. bullseye58

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/promotions/bayer-meters.html?ref=gg&gclid=CJ3n4qLM0LwCFWfLtAodpS0AIQ
    Which one of these would you recommend?

11. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

No food is BAD! What you do need to know is how much carb it contains and fit your portions to your needs. Grapes are high in sugars and thus you will put your blood glusose up if you eat a lot.. Blueberries are lower in sugars and you can probably handle a bigger portion.
    The data you need is easily available online or in a variey of reference books.
    Hana

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook