Which are good fruits and which are bad?

bullseye58

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, rain,
After only being diagnosed a couple of weeks ago I'm still a little confused about what I can eat and not eat! I'm currently eating green seedless grapes and blueberries. I also buy a lot of banana's and sometimes pears.
I'm type 2 and currently taking 500mgs of metformin twice a day.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
All fruit is good for you but some a re higher in sugars (carbohydrates ) than others. Grapes and bananas are amongst the highest and berries the lowest.

The best advice would be to check your blood sugar after eating them and see which raise your blood sugar and avoid them

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i agree with carra, berries are best :) blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries and test test test :)

C

catherinecherub

After only being diagnosed a couple of weeks ago I'm still a little confused about what I can eat and not eat! I'm currently eating green seedless grapes and blueberries. I also buy a lot of banana's and sometimes pears.

Hi,

The only way to find out which fruits are good or bad for you is to test and see. If you have been denied a meter and test strips then it is in the best interests of your health to buy one. The Codefree is a cheap one and many on here use it. You will never know what are the right foods for you if you do not test.
http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm

If you eat fruit as part of a meal it will have less impact on your blood sugars than if you use it as a snack.

Last edited:

bullseye58

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, rain,
All fruit is good for you but some a re higher in sugars (carbohydrates ) than others. Grapes and bananas are amongst the highest and berries the lowest.

The best advice would be to check your blood sugar after eating them and see which raise your blood sugar and avoid them
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I currently don't have anything to check my blood sugar so you could say I'm in the dark about what's good and bad at the moment! I did ask the nurse for one but she told me it wasn't necessary at this stage!

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

The NHS can be a bit mean in that respect but I think if they wont part with one you should buy one. Or argue your case with the nurse/GP

It will be the best way you have of seeing how you are doing regularly, you'll know what to eat and not eat and will know the overall picture and make adjustments accordingly.

Lots of meter companies will give you a meter for free but the test strips can be a bit pricey.

Lots of us in the group have opted for SD Code free (I got mine from Amazon) because the strips are one third the price of others

I wouldn't want to be in the dark! I don't test as much as I did at the beginning because I know my problem foods now.

Good luck

Cara

Reactions: 2 people

bullseye58

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, rain,
Hi

The NHS can be a bit mean in that respect but I think if they wont part with one you should buy one. Or argue your case with the nurse/GP

It will be the best way you have of seeing how you are doing regularly, you'll know what to eat and not eat and will know the overall picture and make adjustments accordingly.

Lots of meter companies will give you a meter for free but the test strips can be a bit pricey.

Lots of us in the group have opted for SD Code free (I got mine from Amazon) because the strips are one third the price of others

I wouldn't want to be in the dark! I don't test as much as I did at the beginning because I know my problem foods now.

Good luck

Cara
Thanks for that Cara.

bullseye58

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, rain,
Hi,

The only way to find out which fruits are good or bad for you is to test and see. If you have been denied a meter and test strips then it is in the best interests of your health to buy one. The Codefree is a cheap one and many on here use it. You will never know what are the right foods for you if you do not test.
http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm

If you eat fruit as part of a meal it will have less impact on your blood sugars than if you use it as a snack.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/promotions/bayer-meters.html?ref=gg&gclid=CJ3n4qLM0LwCFWfLtAodpS0AIQ
Which one of these would you recommend?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

No food is BAD! What you do need to know is how much carb it contains and fit your portions to your needs. Grapes are high in sugars and thus you will put your blood glusose up if you eat a lot.. Blueberries are lower in sugars and you can probably handle a bigger portion.
The data you need is easily available online or in a variey of reference books.
Hana