1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Which Are The Best Blood Glucose Monitors In Uk?

Discussion in 'Prediabetes' started by redrickshaw, Jun 6, 2018.

1. redrickshaw

redrickshaw Prediabetes · Active Member

Ive got the Codefree test monitor but want another machine just to make bs test is correct. I want to buy a monitor off the high street so can easily get testing strips. Thank you

2. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

I have a Codefree and also the free TEE2+ meter, which has test strips that are probably the next cheapest to the Codefree ones. You can buy eg an Accuchek on the high street, but the strips will cost you a lot more. In favour of the TEE2+, their customer service is brilliant and everything arrives very fast, much faster than with the Codefree. Their helpline is open 24/7 and you get to speak to a nice human being instantly. They also give free replacement batteries and testing fluid. The TEE2+ supposedly can be linked to an app on your phone, but the procedure seemed complicated and defeated me. However, I am easily defeated by digital technology.

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/

• Like Like x 2
  3. redrickshaw

Thanks for info. Is the TEE2 meter only free to diabetics?

4. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

No, to anyone.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jayney27

jayney27 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

The Tee2 is definitely free to all, I use this one as my main monitor, as @Alexandra100 mentioned the delivery is quick and the test strips are cheaper than most other meters, especially high street ones.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Alison Campbell

Alison Campbell Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Hi @redrickshaw

Why do you think your meter might not be accurate?

The codefree comes out quite well in this research paper for accuracy
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5588599/

If you are concerned about the accuracy of your meter then consider purchasing some control solution
    https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-control-solution-low-and-high-parameters/

No matter how good a meter is they are less accurate at higher levels
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/blood-glucose-meter-accuracy.html

• Like Like x 2
  7. archersuz

archersuz Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm sure when I looked into it, it was only free to T1

8. Dexterdobe

Dexterdobe Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Even an accurate meter is subject to inaccuracies of up to + or - 20%, which means a reading of 6 could be as high as 7.2 or as low as 4.8. Buying an additional monitor may not help as you won't know which is right or wrong if the readings differ. I use a Codefree and find that strips can vary by up to 20% from batch to batch. The test fluid gives a pretty good indication of accuracy. I check mine at my GP surgery when I see my nurse and compare their reading against my Codefree.

• Like Like x 1
  9. redrickshaw

Because a few times it has given me results which were higher than usual and when I’ve retested to check -results have been lower. I’ve just ordered some control solution. Thanks for info :)

10. redrickshaw

Oh goodness out by that much! Yes that’s true I haven’t noticed any real differences in different batch results. I’ve just ordered some test fluid. Thanks for info

• Like Like x 1
  11. Madmaureen

Madmaureen Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have the accu chek mobile as my 2nd meter as I have the libre which is the.best thing since sliced bread excuse the pun!!
    The accu chek has no strips and.it is so easy to use

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook