Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Strange really that CVD wasn't top of the list! :?

Nigel

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I would have said CVD or kidney failure, not that I want to suffer any if I can avoid them :?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
My biggest fear is retinopathy and blindness :(

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya, being deaf and wear a hearing aid, I fear retinopathy and blindness the most, as need my eyes to hear for me. [lip read skills ] If you see what I mean! It would limit me more to be able to hear n communicate with others. Anna.x :)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I fear the loss of mobility from neuropathy or worse, or end stage kidney disease. I would far rather have a massive heart attack.
Unfortunately if I have my mothers genes I might end up immobile anyway, she hasn't got diabetes but has still had to have amputations because of arthritic deformities.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
My legs are next to useless so Amputation does not bother me ,, handy for balance in wheelchair

Mobility yes its a bummer But you do adapt with the right Equipment
Already had TIA :?

What i fear the most is Locked-in syndrome :shock:

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
What is locked in syndrome Bowell?

I think blindness would be what i would fear the most..

But i wouldn't like any at all if i'm hoping!!

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people that make me panic. Racism - in fact most 'isms'
All of the frighten me, but the main one would be going blind. If I couldn't see to use the computer, read, drive or whatever I think I'd go crazy.

Ailz

RussG

It's a tough call and I'd rather avoid them all. If pushed, locked in syndrome would be pretty high - is it that common though? I'd rather lose a foot than go blind though, for sure. Although thinking about it I'd rather go blind than die, but I suppose I wouldn't know anyway. Gosh this is a morbid topic!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I agree with you Russ - this is a very depressing topic :( And added to that, we can't choose anyway. Best to keep the best control possible to do something positive to fight against all this as much as we can.

C

catherinecherub

Hi daisy and Russ,,

Sorry to depress you. :(

The article was showing that Type 2's do not seem to take the possibilty of heart problems as seriously as other complications.

Unbeliever

When I told my GP a few years ago , that I wanted to stop taking Rosiglitazone because it was doing nothing for me and I didn't want to risk heart failure , he replied"But most diabetics DO have heart disease!" :!: :?:

ClaireG 06

Unbeliever said:
When I told my GP a few years ago , that I wanted to stop taking Rosiglitazone because it was doing nothing for me and I didn't want to risk heart failure , he replied"But most diabetics DO have heart disease!" :!: :?:

Good grief :shock: :eek:

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
My old doc Said at least you know what you will die from now ? :shock:

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
Mine was kidney failure or anything incurable and low and behold I get both within a year of diagnosis *shakes fist in air in anger :|