1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Which diet suits Overweight Type 1 - Low Carb High Fat or Mediterranean

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Glynis1, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Glynis1

Glynis1 Type 1 · Member

Hi

I am type 1 diagnosed over 48 years ago. Have generally been very well controlled - no complications to date BUT I have gained weight over last 10 years despite following low calorie diet (800 cals per day). I have recently started taking the bullet proof coffee and missing out breakfast but find I still need to take some short acting - 4 units as well as my long acting on rising. I eat salad and cheese or eggs for lunch and then a stir fry cooked in coconut oil in the evening. So carb wise I only eating minimal carbs BUT I am not losing weight - had initial loss of 10lbs in first week but then stayed static (2 weeks now). I read that maybe the high fat cheese and butter in the coffee might be the problem so switched to the Mediterranean diet but again no weight loss. I need to lose several stones (4) I am reasonably active (as much as full time employment allows). Any ideas or suggestions please. Sometimes it seems that I have maintained good blood sugars at the expense of my weight.

2. RHNtype1

RHNtype1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello, I hope you get some helpful answers soon. I have been type one for thirty something years (since age 11, now 45 so 34 I suppose) and despite being a very active person(busy working life, two of a family, exercise classes several times a week, usually also at least one run too) have had very few periods in my life where I have not struggled with my weight. I was very interested to read your post as I had been considering trying LCHF. I am about half to one stone heavier than I wish to be but worry that it will increase with age and all those years of insulin. Rx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

3. Emmotha

Emmotha Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello
    I am an overweight type 1. I lost 4kg earlier in the year on a low carb diet (it also needs to be relitively low fat in the weight loss phase so that you are still consuming less calories than you burn).
    I was on 30g carbs a day, typically along the lines of:
    Breakfast - bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes (6g)
    Snack if needed - babybell cheddar
    Lunch - stir fry, chicken and loads of veg. No noodles. Counted veg approx 8g carbs
    Dinner - omlette pizza (ie omlette with ham, veg etc) 9g carbs and then 2 squares of lindt dark 90% 3g carbs

• Like Like x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook