Which foods MUST I avoid at all costs

bluehorse

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been reading about avoiding foods that are high in sugar and high in carbs and I am slightly confused; some websites says swap white bread for brown bread but some websites say don't eat any bread because it all increases blood sugar levels.

I was wondering what foods should I avoid at all costs and which ones I should cut down on to bring my blood sugar levels under control; I want to be very strict about this and totally overall my lifestyle and diet.

Thank you for any help.

I should

Reactions: 5 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi :) im afraid it depends which route you have decided to take regarding diet, if its a very low carb diet then cutting bread altogether is best, personally i dont eat any bread rice pasta or potatoes, if i eat fruit its only berries, you have to become a weirdo in shops, it takes forever to fill a basket because you have to obsessively read labels which are teeny weeny lol, i also eat lots of fat so i avoid anything low fat, but as i say its all about how you choose to be strict :) plus you have to test test test some foods makes peoples bg go up higher than someone else, its very personal, which i found unhelpful in the beginning , i just wanted to be told what to eat, but its not that simple :(

Reactions: 7 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You'll get as many different answers as posters.

Low carb, low GI, Mediterranean.....

Avoid classic bad foods first.
Sugar, biscuits, cakes, potatoes, white rice, white pasta, white bread, anything like that.

Personally, I avoid all root veg, most rice apart from a bit of basmati occasionally, all pasta, as I test myself and know they spike me.
I eat a bit of Livlife bread, or Burgen soya and linseed.

You should really try to get hold of a meter so you can find which foods you react badly to, and ones you don't react to to replace them.

Reactions: 6 people

bluehorse

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Andy, I saw your BMI and HAB1C levels, how did you manage to loose so much weight so quickly??

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
low carb high fat, i also started exercising, i basically lost a stone a month without trying, all i was trying to do was reduce blood glucose

also by accident my bp went from 250/150 to 106/65 and cholesterol went from 6 something to 2.8

Reactions: 6 people

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
wow id love vur diet sheets x

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. This is a list of foods (carbs) which do contribute to an increase in blood glucose. Sugar, bread, potatoes, pasta and rice; there are others. You don't need to stop these just reduce portion sizes and go for low-GI versions to smooth & reduce absorption. Yes, wholegrain lightly processed flour is the best basis rather than highly refined white flour. Sugar is the biggest offender so avoid products with added sugar. The amount you need to reduce carbs will depend on what a glucose meter tells you. People have different degrees/stages of diabetes hence the different guidance you will see in the posts. With regard to fat, it doesn't increase blood sugar by much and can help slow down carb absorption. You don't need to have high fat as such but enough to give you the calories you need with reduced carbs. Bear in mind that the (in)famous 'Eat Well Plate' suggests too much calorie intake.

Reactions: 3 people

jopar

There is no foods that you must avoid at all costs...

There are plenty of foods that you should consider very carefully the impact it makes either in type or portion size it has on your blood glucose levels, and the only way you will find this information out, is by testing your blood glucose levels after you've eaten them.

Then working out, which ones you are able to eat as long as you keep to a reasonable or small portion, or it's wise to keep these to times when you know you are going to be exercising so can limit the impact.

And those that what ever you do just hits the blood glucose like no tomorrow.

Reactions: 5 people

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Watch out for sugar loaded drinks like Lemonade and Cola. Get the Diet versions. Ordinary ones will send your blood sugar up very quickly,

Cara

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
wow id love vur diet sheets x

umm i never saw a diet sheet in my life but id be happy to tell you what i eat?

if you would like me to say, ill be back after the chelsea liverpool game hehe

shcolton85

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Insulin
Watch out for sugar loaded drinks like Lemonade and Cola. Get the Diet versions. Ordinary ones will send your blood sugar up very quickly,

Cara

I'm no expert, but even the Diet versions messes up the metabolism. I'd stick to drinking water. ;-)

Reactions: 2 people

collectingrocks

Yes Andy I too would be very interested to know what you ate/avoided to lose so much weight. I low carb but can't seem to lose any more weight

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
umm i never saw a diet sheet in my life but id be happy to tell you what i eat?

if you would like me to say, ill be back after the chelsea liverpool game hehe
i would love that and thankuou for the time you inncur .. im low carb high fat but not losing so much in fact 7 ibs in month :( xx

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
i would love that and thankuou for the time you inncur .. im low carb high fat but not losing so much in fact 7 ibs in month :( xx

7 lbs a month is an impressive 84 lbs over a 12 month period which is awesome!:)

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
never thought of it that way ... im only diagnosed a month to !! so thanku cheered me up that has lol x

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

you are doing better than me - I have lost 7lb since the beginning of November :)

Andy I too would be interested in what you eat as I seem to be drifting along at the moment not really knowing what I am doing 100%

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
ok......

i started off eating the same things everyday whilst i learned what i could eat, so i basically found 3 meals and ate them, and you have to remember i came from a terrible diet so im sure that helped me alot as i has soooo much room for improvement...

breakfast
i ate 100-150 g of fage natural full fat greek yogurt with some strawberries (about 3 - 5 sliced depending on size) and or 10 blueberries and or 6 ish blackberries and or 8 - 10 raspberries not all together but a combination normally whatever we had, on top i would sprinkle linwoods milled flax and when i ran out of that i would add either some chopped almond (less than a handful) or walnuts a broken up in my hand (less than a handful)

i still eat this each and every day, i love it! the thought of it gets me out of bed.

workdays

10am
i leave for work at 6am so at our 10am teabreak i need food
i would have a handful of nuts or an atkins chocolate decadence bar (contravercial)
sometimes if i had time id go into the cafe and have a fry up

lunchtime
salad, either home made
or from asda ready made
or subway salad
i always have either cold meat ie. ham or pre cooked sliced chicken in a packet or cheese chunks

or i would pop into supermarket to their hot meat counter and buy some cooked chicken (various flavoured and eat the skin)

dinner
meat and veg (any meat, and lots of it), (veg cabbage, cauliflower, brocolli)
i started experimenting with recipes and also had cauliflower pizza base pizzas
home made burgers in lettuce leaves
spaghetti bolognaise without the pasta and always with homemade sauce
i made or make butternut squash chips
i have cheesy cauliflower mash with most everything i love it!
omelettes galore (favourite is green pepper and onions and bacon i chopped up really small and sauted it all together in a seperate saucepan then tip in onto the X3 cooked eggs with lots of grated cheddar) but any combination is good
at least one fry up a week (sausages (black farmers daughter) eggs, bacon and mushrooms)
curry no rice (always and only homemade sauces) on lettuce (i tried cauliflower rice but dont like it)
steak (huge) with asparagus and mushrooms

afters
every day and i do mean every day, i have jelly and double cream, i used to have 2 little pots but now the wife makes me a measuring jug full each day out of the sachets and i have 3 quarters of it i think its hartleys, its the single best thing i have all day, its awesome and i cant live without it!

i have taught myself to cook, i try to make any sauces myself otherwise i just dont have sauce, i have a good friend on here that gives me great cooking advice (fantastic and invalauable )and i follow ewelinas blog (awesome) without making the low carb cakes at weekends i could well have faultered, these things are too good to be true and elieviate the feelings of deprivation i did feel but dont anymore, although i still make the cakes lol

i never eat bread or potatoes or rice or pasta (the usual culprits) i did try to eat bread but with dire consequences bg wise

i fry things without a second thought, i ignore calories completely, i used myfitness pal at first and for the whole weight loss period i think its been invaluable, i recorded everything i ate and treated low carbing as a game or challenge, trying to lower it each day, i dont use it anymore as i know what im eating, theres no need, i never carb count either again no need

i rarely cheat, a cheat for me is a second handful of nuts or another bowl of yogurt in the evening if im starving or some 85 or 90% chocolate, in other words my cheats are low carb cheats.

i thought of food as fuel, not something that needed to be enjoyed, if i enjoyed it, it was a bonus, (i was a salad hater and a veg hater in the beginning, i never ate either) not to say that everything here isnt enjoyable, it sure is, but it takes alot of willpower for someone like me who loved everything that was bad, but no one ever said it was going to be easy, now on the other hand it is easy, im so used to eating like, i dont miss things really anymore, bread maybe hehe, id love bread or toast with the fry ups, when i can get there i buy livlife bread but not very often its too much agro getting to waitrose or morrisons especially as they often are out of stock. when i cook something i look up on google the best way to cook it, i found it makes such a difference to the food when its cooked nicely, theres so much info on cooking it would be a shame not to use it and when a salad tastes amazing rather than plain old lettuce and tomato it makes it so much easy to eat regular, asparagus is a good example of this, my wife used to boil it to deaf and i hated it, i researched it and now fry it in ghee on a skillet until its a little burnt, then drizzle lemon juice over it, i love it and cant get enough of it

as i said i did start going to the gym but found i hated it so i run now or jog or crawl for exercise, i figure as long as its very hard, its good enough, i signed up for the london marathon because i exceeded all my goals health wise (sounds mental but once you get what you want it kind of deflates you) so figured it would be good to have a goal to work to

i may be lucky, i enjoy the low carb foods, or genetically find it easy to lose weight i dont know, but i come from a fat family and since in my early twenties ive been 19 stone, im 13 (6 ft 2 built like a shed....or maybe a wendy house now lol) now and have maintained that, i havent lost a lb in months but then i havent tried, i wasnt really trying to lose weight, i knew i had to but the diet was all about getting my bloods out of the twenties and surviving, the weight loss was my next challenge i was going to face but found the weight was falling off along with the blood numbers

sorry if this is too long, worse thing is ill probly think of loads more stuff i should have mentioned later hehe

i believe ill eat this way forever, why wouldnt i?

Reactions: 23 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
We may not agree on the type of diet, but reading that, you sound the same as me, it's not a huge amount of food, so I would guess not eating to excess is the first rule, no matter what diet it is. Cutting down the amount is how I lost 4 stone this year as well.

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks Andy. I do eat similar things and although I like salad I couldn't be bothered with it before - that has changed. My problem is thinking what to cook and eat when the others are eating carbs, I need to be more organised and plan ahead. I have found that not eating sugar and less carbs I am less hungry, eating less at meal times and less between meals. Last night after I had eaten potatoes not only did I feel yuk but I was hungry all evening, I am going to book my hb1ac for the end of January and will see what the results show. Hopefully the change in diet will have worked if not back to the drawing board.