Which Infusion set for Accu-Chek Combo??

pinksunshine

Hi

I was wondering if anybody could give me their experiences with either the Rapid-D or TenderLink infusion sets?

My six year old daughter was using the FlexLink plus and prior to that the original FlexLink, which we had lots of problems with and now I am not sure which infusion set to use. I understand we are all different, but I would really appreciate your opinions and experiences of these infusion sets. I have have to take into consideration she is a small girl and is quite sensitive to cannula changes, but at the same time I would like a reliable cannula.

Many Thanks

Jo

iHs

Hi Jo

Infusion sets can be a problem in getting the right one lol

The Tenderlink set is fairly good but does need the skin to be numbed off with numbing gel or spray for a few mins before inserting the introducer. The Tenderlink can also mark a bit if used on the tummy when taking the old set out. I'v got some small hole mark scars :(

If your daughter cant get on with the original Flexlink then try the Rapid D, if that's no good, then try to push for an Inset II infusion set from Animas as that is a luer connecting and has a self contained introducer spring so no need for a seperate device.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My daughter doesn't use an Accu-chek pump (she has Animas) but she uses the Animas equivalent to the Rapid-D infusion set. She is very comfortable wearing it and says it doesn't hurt when inserted, it's very easy to insert too. I was concerned that having a steel cannula in there would cause discomfort when she presses agains it but she says she can't feel a thing, doesn't know it's in. The disadvantage is that it must be changed every 2 days rather than every 3 days. But the advantage is that it is very reliable as the cannula being steel won't kink.

pinksunshine

Thank you both so much, you are right it is so important to get the right cannula and it's even harder trying to make the decision with a child.

I was also worried about a steel cannula, so I am pleased you said your daughter doesn't feel any discomfort.

Thanks

Jo

sugar2

Jo, the general advice I got was...start withteh rapid D link...and if it works, then use it, as it is the most reliable etc.

I would see ifthey will send you a few, to try, and see how she gets on? I didn't get n withthem sadly, as they made me itch..so moved to flexilink...horses for courses.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
I use the rapid-D with the acc-chek combo. Its very reliable as you can't kink a steel cannula. I also can't say i can feel it at all. it's also more comfortable to insert too.

The only issue i have is i find its very sticky! but you can get foam and wipes to help get the residue off.:)

iHs

The adhesive for the Rapid D is fairly circular and large but can be cut into a more retangle shape if need be. It is very flat so really wont show under tight fitting jeans, t shirts etc but the tube part on the set can sometimes catch so I just put on a small strip of Transpore tape over the top which is waterproof and transparent.

Hazza

My 8 year old daughter was on flexlink plus but we had problems with them so we moved to the rapid d link and have had no problems since. We were worried about the steel needles at first but they have not proved to be any bother and you can get them in 6mm lengths. We use the shorter length tubing (40cm I think) which works well for us.

Harry

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
There is a diffferent routine to priming with rapid d.......you do not have to do a quirt after you have put in the set.

Have you ordered tubing as well? As the connectors are different. All you have to do with the rapid d is attach the connectors together and prime about 4 units through for the set changes and then insert in to body, and all done.

Rapid s' I have foubd are so comfy and nice, I much prefer them to any other...

pinksunshine

Thanks for the tips donnellysdogs. I have ordered the tubing but did not know about the priming routine and more importantly, that you do not need to give extra insulin to fill the reservoir!

Great tips, thanks again.

Jo