Which pump do I choose?

SaraC

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
My 12 year old son is due to get a new pump this April and we have been told that we can choose his next one. He is currently using the Roche Accu Chek Combo and really likes it, particularly the Bluetooth handset. He is keen to stick with what he knows, especially as we were told the new handset will be touch screen (although it's not out yet)! We have been told the other choices are the Omnipod, Animas and Medtronic. Does anybody have any helpful views on the pumps that are currently available in the UK? Thanks.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Unless your son's pump is missing something in particular then it's probably best that at his age he sticks with something he likes probably. I have a Medtronic pump which I love - it's small, easy to use and I found mine to be very reliable. It's not waterproof nor does it have a touchscreen. It's also not tubeless like the Omnipod is - I know some others on this pump who really like this feature above all else. I wasn't given a choice of pump and it maybe the case that that whichever one I'd been given from the outset I would prefer? Maybe others will come along and offer further advice. Good luck with it,

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have same choice to make in September.

You need to find out from your dsn what happens if your son (like me) wants the new touch screen accuchek pump. I will mot ne fobbed out and be given another combo for 4 years when their new one is due out. I too love the remote, because i wear my pump on my arm under my clothes. No other pump allows me to do this and have a fully funcional remote control. My dsn is now talking to our accuchek rep to find out whether I can keep using this old one past the 4 year mark, as the production manager in uk has emailed me saying that the new pump will not be ready for patients in September... So if your son is wanting the new accuchek pump you need to find out what is going to happen in the interim period.

For me, no pump compares to accuchek andletting me feel like a normal person just with a remote control...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I can't offer any other pump experience as I'm on the same pump but my biggest concern would be learning to use the new handsets if you changed pumps, I think if it was me and I'd been ok on the pump I'd originally had if stick to the same so your not having to relearn how to work all the features. Hope someone can help you further in regards to the other pumps available

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
No other pump has the same fantastic fully functioning handset.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
I've got the animas vibe, which I like, the screen is nice and clear, and you can also use the Dexcom cgm with this pump as they both link to each other(if you want that, I asked animas if they bring out a meter/stroke remote, to use with the vibe, like they have in the states and got the reply that they won't be due to something about interference). I did get a choice of pumps, but the thing for me was how easy was it to insert the sets. And that alone brought my choice down to 2 pumps.