1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Which test to confirm Type 2

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by ainz, Mar 17, 2012.

1. ainz

ainz · Member

Hi, i'm new here and hoping someone can help me.
    My story so far:
    4 weeks ago I moved house and registered with a new doctor. Part of the procedure was a full blood test. The results of the fasting blood test were:
    Blood Sugar: 7.0
    Cholesterol: 4.1
    Blood pressure: 150/95

I was given tablets to lower my blood pressure and was told bluntly that I had Type 2 Diabetes. She arranged for me to see a Diabetic nurse for a week later. Obviously I was in a state of shock from this news and had a stressful week waiting for the nurse appointment. When it finally came I was told by the nurse, to my surprise, that i had NOT got Diabetes but there was a good chance i will get it in the future. I was sent on my way with diet, weight-loss and exercise advice and told to come back in 3 months for another blood test.
    At this stage i have no idea if i have Diabetes or not. Nonetheless over the last 3 weeks I have dieted (low carb diet as recommended by members on this forum), lost weight (about 9kg) and increased exercise.

Also I invested in a blood testing kit so i could check BG myself.
    The results are:
    Pre dinner (evening main meal): 5.3 Average, (highest 6.0, lowest 4.8)
    Post dinner 2 hrs: 5.5 Average (highest 6.4, lowest 5.0)

My question is; I'm due back to see the doctor next week because she wants me to start on Statins. What test(s) should i demand she does to confirm if i have or have not got Diabetes.

I accept there's a good chance i have but I need more accurate confirmation rather than just one random fasting blood test.

Any advice would be much appreciated by you kind (and knowledgeable people)

2. Anonymous

Anonymous · Guest

I had a fasting blood test, drank a glucose drink then followed two hours later by another test. That was repeated a few days later to confirm the diagnosis.. Hope that is of some help to you.

3. Grazer

Grazer · Well-Known Member

You usually need 2 fasting tests to confirm diabetes. To be sure, you need either an oral glucose tolerance test or an HbA1c test ( simple blood test that can often be taken at the surgery but normally has to be sent off for results)
    I wouldn't settle for a fasting BG for diagnosis. Now you're on a lower carb diet, you can't settle for a second fasting BG either! Lots of us diabetics get non-diabetic fasting BGs because of our diet.

4. luckygran2

luckygran2 · Newbie

why on earth would she want to start you on statins when your cholesterol levels are only 4

5. ladybird64

ladybird64 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was told exactly the same thing, one of the reasons why I told the doc I didn't want their medications and stormed out of the surgery!

Apparently it is something to do with diabetics having a higher risk of stroke and heart disease, though I can't quite see the connection myself if cholesterol levels are within limits.

6. luckygran2

luckygran2 · Newbie

i was told 6 years ago that i was type 2...the method used to test for diabetes was...i had to have a fasting blood test...go home have my usual breakfast eat a chocolate biscuit and drink a bottle of lucozade...then get another blood test 2 hours later...has anyone else been tested by this method

7. ladybird64

ladybird64 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sounds very familiar, I think it is called a Glucose Tolerance Test? Sure if I'm wrong someone will put me right.

I was diagnosed just on a random blood test and that was it..the test was nothing to do with diabetes!

8. luckygran2

luckygran2 · Newbie

i'm not on medication...just diet and excersize....i never had any symptoms of diabetes...just a random blood test...sugar levels were high. so i had the fasting test...at the time i was on statins ...had been for a number of years....now we're being told statins can raise your blood sugar

9. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

There is a lot of mis-information around about the need for statins. I suspect the reason for people with diabetes having a higher rate of heart problems etc is data from people who have badly controlled BS. If you have sensibly well-controlled BS then your risk of heart problems should be nearer to normal and with a cholesterol level of only 4 I would personally do without the statins but that's your choice. As others have said, a low carb diet is the key. You're doing the right thing by measuring your BS and your figures are very good and very near a 'normal' person so just keep up the low carb diet and your figures should stay good.

10. ainz

ainz · Member

Thanks for the replies,

I think I'll ask for a HbA1c test as suggested but 1 question.
    I understand this gives a reading for the previous 3 months. If i've been low carbing (with lowered BG levels) for 1 month will this put the overall result in question? i.e. I assume it will be lower than it would have been 1 month ago.

Also, was surprised when she said i would need statins.

11. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

Hi

I'm insulin dependant type 1 but from chatting the other day with my GP, I was told that an Hba1c test is now done routinely and is cheaper than a GTT.

As for statins, my GP will prescribe them if necessary. She would rather people change their diet first.....

12. Grazer

Grazer · Well-Known Member

It is a result of three months sugar levels, but heavily weighted towards last month. It will thus reflect your last months diet. Nonetheless, it's a good measure and if it's a non-diabetic reading you could then ask for an oral glucose test which is pretty definitive. Go for the A1c first and see. It's simple and If its over 6 then it's pretty slam dunk

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook