whiskey

Dobbs

I've made the alarming discovery that a glass or two of whiskey of an evening lowers my blood sugar in a very pleasing manner. I read someone's comment to that effect on this forum a few weeks back but didn't really believe it - I gave up alcohol entirely for four months thinking that was a good thing to do. But now... I've gone back to a drop of the hard stuff most evenings and am seeing very nice post-meal readings, in the 6s, and lower morning readings too. So - what's the catch? Life suddenly seems to be being nice to me! :p

Reactions: MarkArt63

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Dobbs,

It's actually very simple. One of the biggest problems for most diabetics is that the liver over-produces glucose, usually while we are asleep but also in smaller quantities during the day. The liver also has the important job of filtering out alcohol from your bloodstream. It seems to operate on a list of priorities, where clearing alcohol takes priority over everything else (proof that everyone's liver is male because it can't multi-task). This means that, while it is dealing with your whisky (or a glass of red in my case) it isn't producing glucose, so your BS level is lower. My memory of the details is a bit hazy (maybe a glass too many!) but I think it takes the liver 1 hour to clear 1 unit of ancohol. So a small whisky would keep it busy for 4 hours, two glasses 8 hours, etc.

inwales

Hiya

The other week I fancied whiskey in the evenings and it had amazing control on my BG levels, I wonder if a single malt is any better? :)

I was only drinking Teachers....

inwales

My secret Ken, is that I love Bushmills 10 year old malt!!!

The problem if I have malt in the house I will drink it too often. The thought of Bushmills over ice just sounds wonderful for this hot afternoon... hee hee

Only have the Teachers cos it was a gift! :lol:

Si

Romola

Would a long gin and slimline with a slice of lime have the same effects?

I imagine that it would - just the thing for a hot summer evening.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
inwales said:
My secret Ken, is that I love Bushmills 10 year old malt!!!

The problem if I have malt in the house I will drink it too often. The thought of Bushmills over ice just sounds wonderful for this hot afternoon... hee hee

Only have the Teachers cos it was a gift! :lol:

Si

My favourite Whisky is Scotch, Glenfiddich 18 yr old single malt......nectar. No ice or water. I plan to get myself a bottle of the 21 yr old shortly, couldn't afford the 30,40 or 50 year olds. :shock:
Lottery win and I'm up the Distillery like a shot ! Think I might just have a tipple right now ?
Cheers mate.

Anybody visit's though and they only get a bottle of Bell's.. I'm a cheapskate. :D

Ken.

Just re-read that. When I mention the 30,40,50 year olds I do mean bottles of Whisky. Just in case you all get the wrong idea. :oops:

inwales

With a lottery win, you could swim in a vat of Glenfiddich!!

If you fancy a tipple now, do it. Happiness is everything! hee hee

I do hope with a lottery win you will serve Glenfiddich!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
fink I moy yav 'ad a drop too much actually ? moight yav ter goo an' yav a lie down fer a bit !!!

ken. hic,,,! :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I Hate whisky and whiskey and brandy and all spirits. I don't know why, but i always have.
T1 husband's diabetic scottish uncle Jock, calls whiskey his "apple juice"

cugila

Master
Dislikes
How about Courvosier XO Imperial ....that is my special reserve. Warms the ******* a treat. :D

Ken.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
A little dab of whisky in strategic places helps fend off the midges!! :lol: :lol: ( course this could be an old wives tale!!)

Thirsty

It's the right time of year for a large Cointreau or Calvados on the rocks with a little spring water. Even Hana couldn't resist these.

inwales

sugarless sue said:
A little dab of whisky in strategic places helps fend off the midges!! :lol: :lol: ( course this could be an old wives tale!!)

Well that is one way to get men in skirts chasing you!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Men in skirts are the ones who fear midges the most!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

inwales

I will never offer to wear a Kilt if in Scotland then!!! Midges in summer and **** cold in Winter in the Trossachs.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Sue.
I think you should tell us more. :shock: