Who can you trust? Not the Nobel committee.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/sep/01/paolo-macchiarini-scientist-surgeon-rise-and-fall

Scary reading. Selected quotes from a long article.

"By 2011, he was working in Sweden at one of the world’s most prestigious medical universities, the Karolinska Institute, whose professors annually select the winner of the Nobel prize in physiology or medicine. "

Skip forward to 2016.

"Macchiarini’s fall was swift, but troubling questions remain about why he was allowed to continue his experiments for so long. Some answers have emerged from the official inquiries into the Karolinska Institute and the Karolinska University hospital. They identified many problems with the way the twin organisations handled him."

"Macchiarini’s fame had won him well-placed backers. These included Harriet Wallberg, who was the vice-chancellor of the Karolinska Institute in 2010, when Macchiarini was recruited. She pushed through his appointment despite the fact that he had some very negative references and dubious claims on his résumé."

"
In early 2014, four Karolinska doctors defied the reigning culture of silence by complaining about Macchiarini. In their view, he was grossly misrepresenting his results and the health of his patients. An independent investigator agreed. But the vice-chancellor of Karolinska Institute, Anders Hamsten, wasn’t bound by this judgement. He officially cleared Macchiarini of scientific misconduct, allowing merely that he’d sometimes acted “without due care”.

For their efforts, the whistleblowers were punished. When Macchiarini accused one of them, Karl-Henrik Grinnemo, of stealing his work in a grant application, Hamsten found him guilty. As Grinnemo recalls, it nearly destroyed his career: “I didn’t receive any new grants. No one wanted to collaborate with me. We were doing good research, but it didn’t matter … I thought I was going to lose my lab, my staff – everything.”
"

"The Macchiarini scandal claimed many of his powerful friends. The vice-chancellor, Anders Hamsten, resigned. So did Karolinska’s dean of research. Likewise the secretary-general of the Nobel Committee. The university board was dismissed and even Harriet Wallberg, who’d moved on to become the chancellor for all Swedish universities, lost her job."

All in all a sorry tale, and it highlights that all scientific research, both that beloved by the establishment and that espoused by us on the site, should be viewed in a very jaundiced and cynical light.

Almost everything we do is influenced to a lesser or greater extent by the people who pay our wages and by the career progression we look for to give ourselves job and life security.

Note especially how harshly the whistle blowers were punished.
That sends a very clear establishment message to all researchers.
Which in turn should sens a very strong message to all of us.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/sep/01/paolo-macchiarini-scientist-surgeon-rise-and-fall

<snipped interesting stuff>

All in all a sorry tale, and it highlights that all scientific research, both that beloved by the establishment and that espoused by us on the site, should be viewed in a very jaundiced and cynical light.

Almost everything we do is influenced to a lesser or greater extent by the people who pay our wages and by the career progression we look for to give ourselves job and life security.

<snipped>.

I would suggest seeing a life in a "very jaundiced and cynical light" would be pretty hard work.

I'm not sure science is any different from any other area of life / employment. I can't think of any whistle blowers who have been fairly treated by their employers, if Private Eye is anything to go by..

Reactions: donnellysdogs

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Only the most courageous will still whistleblow. Conscious over godliness?
A huge sad pity.
I bet "lessons have been learned". Puff!

Very sad affair.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Very sad indeed.

I whistleblew over a carer in Wales pulling out a call bell in one ladies room. That carer stayed on... I left...

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I remember seeing the documentary all about this egomaniac but the programme ended before most of the culprits who backed him lost their jobs. Like House says 'Everybody Lies'.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

Scary reading. Selected quotes from a long article.

"By 2011, he was working in Sweden at one of the world’s most prestigious medical universities, the Karolinska Institute, whose professors annually select the winner of the Nobel prize in physiology or medicine. "

Skip forward to 2016.

"Macchiarini’s fall was swift, but troubling questions remain about why he was allowed to continue his experiments for so long. Some answers have emerged from the official inquiries into the Karolinska Institute and the Karolinska University hospital. They identified many problems with the way the twin organisations handled him."

"Macchiarini’s fame had won him well-placed backers. These included Harriet Wallberg, who was the vice-chancellor of the Karolinska Institute in 2010, when Macchiarini was recruited. She pushed through his appointment despite the fact that he had some very negative references and dubious claims on his résumé."

"
In early 2014, four Karolinska doctors defied the reigning culture of silence by complaining about Macchiarini. In their view, he was grossly misrepresenting his results and the health of his patients. An independent investigator agreed. But the vice-chancellor of Karolinska Institute, Anders Hamsten, wasn’t bound by this judgement. He officially cleared Macchiarini of scientific misconduct, allowing merely that he’d sometimes acted “without due care”.

For their efforts, the whistleblowers were punished. When Macchiarini accused one of them, Karl-Henrik Grinnemo, of stealing his work in a grant application, Hamsten found him guilty. As Grinnemo recalls, it nearly destroyed his career: “I didn’t receive any new grants. No one wanted to collaborate with me. We were doing good research, but it didn’t matter … I thought I was going to lose my lab, my staff – everything.”
"

"The Macchiarini scandal claimed many of his powerful friends. The vice-chancellor, Anders Hamsten, resigned. So did Karolinska’s dean of research. Likewise the secretary-general of the Nobel Committee. The university board was dismissed and even Harriet Wallberg, who’d moved on to become the chancellor for all Swedish universities, lost her job."

Note especially how harshly the whistle blowers were punished.
That sends a very clear establishment message to all researchers.
Which in turn should sens a very strong message to all of us.

Ian Paterson is of the same ilk. Paterson was imprisoned but Machiarini walks free?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I would suggest seeing a life in a "very jaundiced and cynical light" would be pretty hard work.

I'm not sure science is any different from any other area of life / employment. I can't think of any whistle blowers who have been fairly treated by their employers, if Private Eye is anything to go by..

Edit: finger trouble and reading issues for me here.
I am suggesting viewing the research not a life.

Strangely, I find it very easy.
Could be due to my life experience, and being taught to always question everything.
Reading Private Eye is also good training.

P

pollensa

No one if they have any good common sense should believe the System, whether legal, medical or other, the corruption regards political business is frightening. Everyone in their best interests should always get a second or third and or fourth opinion if that is what it takes, depending on circumstances. It is bewildering to think there are medication out there, sitting on shelves, that are not allowed to be put out on the market, simply because of the BIG BOYS, and others who would loose business by doing so......
the question remains "WHO CAN WE TRUST", no one is the answer unfortunately, an example of this, thousands and millions of people day are testing their fingers for real blood results regards high sugars, based on trust that is what they should be doing and that is best for them, is that really the case, consider the results are based on numbers THAT ARE ARBITRARY at whim random and not supported by 100% medical evidence, they are CHOSEN, normally lowered, to capture more business medications prescribed. Until 100% proof of evidence that the final chosen cut off threshold for fasting, 2 hr after eat and or
Random any time after eat is put in place....WHY SHOULD ONE TRUST THE CUT OFF LEVELS under these circumstances.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I will and always will. Make my own mind up.
Like bariatric surgery.
As long as I get out of it what I need then the other waffle isn't important.
No surgery has no risks. No miracle cure for diabetes, obesity or damaged cells.
We can only do our best, for ourselves and those we care about around us.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks @LittleGreyCat for posting that. A very interesting case indeed. The Nobel Committee are human like the rest of us, I guess, and prey to charming sociopathic liars. And surgeons have such high status, and saving folks with stem cell research is a very glamorous area to work in, indeed, in terms of media adulation and the goodies coming from being in the spotlight.

Particularly interesting that it seemed to unravel first from the arena of his private life? Rather than the medical/surgical one. (Or that is how the article was written in any case. Not surprising I guess, as it was journalist on doco-journalist.)

But re the House line "Everyone lies." Lest we forget - NOT everyone lies! And some of us get merely mistaken, rather than deliberately manipulative :).