Who has a CGM full time?

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Hi all, I'm currently fitted with a CGM and I love it! I know some people on this forum have them full time and they are self funded. My simple question is this: is the cost worth it? My initial investigations are pricing it at approx £1000 for the unit itself plus £160 per month for sensors. At the moment, I am thinking the cost is relative to the BG control you can achieve but I've only had it for 4 days! :lol:

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Which CGM device are you using?

Does it warn you if BS levels are plummeting or peaking too high?

I have initiated the first step on the route to a CGM with the nurse at the Diabetic Cilnic.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
it's the freestyle navigator. It takes a reading every 5 mins and runs approx 20 mins behind 'real time' but yes, it alerts with an alarm if BG drops too low or high and also alarms if it predicts BG will drop too low/high. Lots of alarms! but you can program it to suit your own needs in terms of when the alarms should sound etc. I wore it last night when I went running and found it invaluable to know EXACTLY when my BG started to drop as running tends to mask my 'low' signals so I don't feel low until I stop running, if that makes sense! But last night, the alarm went off so I could eat and carry on safely. Now I know how far into my run the drop occurs, hopefully I can treat en route in the future to avoid the post run low readings :)

karla0304

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there. I've been running the CGM sensors for 3 years ( I've been funded by health board since January). They are great. Totally dependant on them cause I don't have any warnings and now can't be left alone and am on the transplant list.

I've got the enlite sensors from Medtronic. They are great cause the pump will stop delivering if the sensors pick up a low that I don't action. If you can afford them them go for it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
karla0304 said:
Hi there. I've been running the CGM sensors for 3 years ( I've been funded by health board since January). They are great. Totally dependant on them cause I don't have any warnings and now can't be left alone and am on the transplant list.

I've got the enlite sensors from Medtronic. They are great cause the pump will stop delivering if the sensors pick up a low that I don't action. If you can afford them them go for it.

Thanks Karla0304, so which Medtronic pump do you use? Forgive me, I am not too familiar with pumps which aren't Accu Chek!

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
I'm actually just looking into buying one now as I've used the sensor a few times through the hospital when we've been hiking. I love them. Makes life so much easier.

Give your supplier a ring and see how much they are as an initial enquiry, that's what i've done. I tried to get some help towards it but am not eligable, typical. I don't mind paying though as i'm not going to use it all the time, mainly for hiking as it's hard checking your sugars every hour when your on the edge of a cliff :shock:

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I've received an email back from the manufacturer who said they are getting ready to launch a new one so might wait and see how whizzy that one is! Defo worth the expense in my opinion (obviously I would prefer it if it were funded but I feel pretty lucky to have my pump funded so I can't complain too much!)

SewK8

I am having a CGM for a week next month and can't wait. I don't have handy hypo awareness so hope it will be set to alarm as a week without collapsing would be amazing.
Has anyone had one funded and if so, how do you start the ball rolling?

Kat

karla0304

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there. It's the Medtronic veo. You can set levels on the pump, which alarms when the levels have been reached ( hi and low). It's more at night though that it is worth it's weight in gold. I paid for if myself for a number of years but my local authority pay for it now. The previous sensor I used (now obsolete) was really painful to use but enlite is such an improvement.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
SewK8 said:
I am having a CGM for a week next month and can't wait. I don't have handy hypo awareness so hope it will be set to alarm as a week without collapsing would be amazing.
Has anyone had one funded and if so, how do you start the ball rolling?

Kat

Hi Kat, I asked my DSN at one of my regular appts last year - I had to go on a waiting list and I know I am lucky as my DSN team are very supportive (Not all are according to what I read on here!). but try asking and see how you get on :)

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Debloubed said:
I've received an email back from the manufacturer who said they are getting ready to launch a new one so might wait and see how whizzy that one is! Defo worth the expense in my opinion (obviously I would prefer it if it were funded but I feel pretty lucky to have my pump funded so I can't complain too much!)

Which manufacturer is that please? :clap:

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Freestyle Navigator :D

D

Deleted member 45091

Id love one been diabetic 23 years but over last several years struggle to reconise hypos/hypers etc. So annoying when they bring technology out and its so expensive and not accessable to everyone. Id buy one but wouldn't even be able to afford the sensors with not working. Ive tried every argument going but to no avail its not funded too expensive and that's that. I know for me personally id feel so much more confident with hypos hypers adjusting insulin if I knew what my body/sugars was doing. In the mean time I keep putting that lotto on every week and one day if they come up I might be able to afford one. They said I may be able to try one for a week but to me theres no point it would just tease me its a shame they can fund all sorts, its suppose to cost a 36k a year to keep a criminal behind bars per year, that's fine whatever but it would be nice for 2k per year for a diabetic that wants to improve his health and confidence ohhh well :thumbdown: