Who has had depression due to low carbing?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
On Monday, I went up to Diabetes Uk in London, to work on the new on-line tool. I think it will be good once it's up and running and I'll keep people informed.
As usual, lunch was wraps or filled rolls. I ate the fillings and the bottom of 1 roll with an eggy something on. I couldn't easily get the egg without the roll!
One of the other committee members commented that I'm still eating low carb. I stood up to show him that it's doing me no harm. Another member told me that his hospital clinic doctor "went balistic", when he was low carbing and told him that "they" had done an in depth study which proved that low carbing causes depression,in ALL patients, which never goes away.
I've traced 1 UK study on low carbing, which was done for weight loss and the test subjects were all women who suffered from depression. There's a similar study from Australia, which adds that more work needs to be done on low-carbing when it's used to control diabetes.
The science of these studies seems Ok, but how could a doctor conclude that the diet caused depression, when the patients were selected for their depressive tendencies?
It looks like qanother case of the medical profession trying to prevent self-management. I think they often do this unconsciously. Some medics don't want patients to take on responsibility for themselves, despite NICE saying they should.
Hana
PS apparently, according to the 'balistic' doctor, some glucose goes straight to the brain without raising BG. Who got that wrong, I can't guess: was it the doctor or the diabetic who told me about it?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
hanadr said:
One of the other committee members commented that I'm still eating low carb. I stood up to show him that it's doing me no harm. Another member told me that his hospital clinic doctor "went balistic", when he was low carbing and told him that "they" had done an in depth study which proved that low carbing causes depression,in ALL patients, which never goes away.
I've traced 1 UK study on low carbing, which was done for weight loss and the test subjects were all women who suffered from depression. There's a similar study from Australia, which adds that more work needs to be done on low-carbing when it's used to control diabetes.
The science of these studies seems Ok, but how could a doctor conclude that the diet caused depression, when the patients were selected for their depressive tendencies?
It looks like qanother case of the medical profession trying to prevent self-management. I think they often do this unconsciously. Some medics don't want patients to take on responsibility for themselves, despite NICE saying they should.
Hana
PS apparently, according to the 'balistic' doctor, some glucose goes straight to the brain without raising BG. Who got that wrong, I can't guess: was it the doctor or the diabetic who told me about it?

Tragic isn't it, when professionals have to resort to misinformation to defend their rapidly crumbling point of view? The truth is that (s)he's probably trying to come to terms with the fact that (s)he has been doling out the wrong advice for the duration of their career.

It's part of a medical culture of denial and shame. Absolutely everyone makes mistakes (even me on occaision), but in medicine (because of the high stakes) there is an expectation that Doctors are always right, and never get things wrong. If you have 20 mins, there is an excellend video from Brian Goldman on exactly that topic:
[youtube]iUbfRzxNy20[/youtube]

Rather than making me depressed, fuelling my brain with ketones often makes me euphoric.

sweetLea

Low carbing causes depression??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have been low carbing for a very long time and feel great! I'm guessing that a lot of other low carbers will say exactly the same! :D

MaryJ

Hi,

The only time I've felt even remotely down was in the first week or so. but that was to do with accepting the condition and that my life had to change.

Once I did that and started low carbing no issues but I tend to be a 'think on the positives' type of person.

Mary x

Reactions: 2 people

MadMat

Quiet the opposite, I'm loving my low carb diet - steak and eggs for breakfast:) yum yum!!!!

Always have leant more the the carnivorous side and now any lingering doubts that I was eating too much red meat have been banished!!

Mat

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
MadMat said:
Quiet the opposite, I'm loving my low carb diet - steak and eggs for breakfast:)

Yes! That's what the Apollo Astronauts used to eat during training!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had depression for years. Within 10 days of going low carb my depression started to lift and is getting less and less each day.

I wondered if undiagnosed and incorrectly treated diabetes was the cause of depression, not the other way round.

I hit a low for a few days when first diagnosed, but that was situational depression, not endemic.

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
Subjective I know, but since low carbing I feel I have more energy and a fog-free head.
It's like I could touch the stars!!!!!!!!!!!

Defren

No depression here either. I have had a couple of 'down' days, but that's all. Like others I feel better than is did, not quite reaching the stars better :lol: but better. I am also a glass half full type of person.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Nope not killed myself yet, neither has the non diabetic wife who is ULCing more than me. Very happy low carbing, finding some great things to eat with great tastes and of course has the extra benefit that I'm no longer killing myself with high BG's. Agree with boro, the doc needs retraining as do many HCP's

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It's the lack of humility and the reluctance to admit to not knowing something that annoys me much more than an honest mistake.
Hana

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No I've never suffered from depression since reducing carbs but never suffered from it when eating 200+g of carbs a day, according to NICE people with diabetes are 3 times more at risk of depression than those without the condition, I suppose anyone with a life-long condition will get down sometimes...... and the longer you live with it the greater the risk.

WhitbyJet

II was depressed before I started low carbing, physically ill, no hope, this gave way to shock, couldnt believe that its possible to live without the ever so essential stodgy carbs, that its possible to reduce bg numbers to single figures DOH obviously I am not the brightest spark around.
No depression since, am as healthy as can be, never tempted to stray from the low carb path, dont feel I miss out on anything, never liked treacle tart anyway......

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm more the anxiety type than the depression type, but I'd say my moods have generally stabilized since starting to low carb. Those surging and crashing BG's I used to get with junk carb eating played havoc with my moods.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
CarbsRok said:
There's some new research today that say's High-fat, low-carb diets not for obese people at risk of heart attack nothing mentioning depresion though.
http://www.uab.edu/news/latest/item/218 ... PageId2182

If you can call dodgy rat science "new research".

Conclusion from this study: Don't low-carb if you are a rodent with a dodgy ticker.

Remember, research on actual people shows that eating a reduced-fat diet might reduce the risk of a heart attack, but it probably won't influence your mortality:
http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD002137/ ... rt-disease

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
CarbsRok said:
There's some new research today that say's High-fat, low-carb diets not for obese people at risk of heart attack
nothing mentioning depresion though.
http://www.uab.edu/news/latest/item/218 ... PageId2182

Read that one before. If you look at the underlying study they fed the rats a 60% fat diet. Don't think the poor rats stood a chance!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Remember, research on actual people shows that eating a reduced-fat diet might reduce the risk of a heart attack, but it probably won't influence your mortality:

I often wonder how long it will take researchers and scientists to work out we are all born to die :lol:

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
No depression here either, either before or with diabetes.

Hana, did the doctor explain how glucose gets directly to the brain without touching the blood stream? I'd really like to know! :wink:

Viv 8)

andrewk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Folks who "know it all" (but don't)
No depression here. Although I'm definitely into ketosis, I am only losing weight slowly. I seem to have way more energy than I have for years.