Who here is "awake" and has it helped you come to terms with

foreverdelayed

Just wondering if straying from the flock has helped you spiritually in dealing with the rigors of diabetes?
I personally feel that I now put less pressure on myself and that I'm not distracted as much from my personal responsibilities.
Namaste

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Janiept

Expert
Re: Who here is "awake" and has it helped you come to terms

Hi Foreverdelayed,

I just stumbled accidentally across your post and was both confused and intrigued.

How are you using 'straying from the flock' I wonder? I notice you signed off using namaste which suggests you may have found some kind of either alternative or eastern spiritual path.

Both the above tend to use meditation as a means for relaxation and seeking truth. Is this what has helped you deal with the rigors of diabetes I wonder?

Namaste

foreverdelayed

Hi, sorry, just noticed your reply. Yeah, I tend to meditate if I'm getting a bit worked up. High sugars can make me a bit stressed and stress makes my sugars high so I used to get locked into a vicious circle. Meditating for a while helps me calm down and helps me focus. I did pick up some techniques while studying Buddhism although I don't practice it to the letter, I don't agree with organised religion at all, I just find my own way through things. I used to feel like I was on the outside of a circle with having type 1 and with my personality in general. I felt different and it bothered me a bit when I was younger. Now I realise that its ace to be different. Maybe people laugh at me for being different but I laugh at them cos their all the same! I don't feel like I need to fit in, I don't care about iphones, drinking, tv, media, having a big fancy house, none of that, life isn't about things, trends or image. Its about vitality, wellbeing, creativity and helping those less fortunate. The friends I have now are friends with me, not the person I felt like i had to be. And diabetes is part of me. I'm not hard on myself either anymore, and my control is better!
We are guests here on earth, our children's guests, and I don't want a self obsessed, vain, ignorant world for my kids. The amount of people living without healthcare, food, water is shocking but society is more bothered about miley cyrus and lady gaga! Trust me, you and the world are better off without all that.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

religion is bunkum, and god is a human invention.

Neither adds anything to my life. Sprituality, if you want to put it that way, is in my relationship with my environment and the wonder of the ability of nture to be infinitely adaptable.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

hmmmm, can i have your tv and car please? im far too shallow for this stuff and id definatly be vein if i wasnt butt ugly :lol:

Signs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I'm happy that you've found your personal sweetspot.
Your second post irritated me. May be the way I;ve read it so feel free to coreect me if I'm wrong.
Sorry to burst your bubble but you've joined the flock of people who are different. Nothing wrong with that but a little less talking down to the masses and humility may sit better. The end of your post was preaching. I believe what I believe and distrust organised religion with a passion but certainly wouldn't feel I had the right to preach to others about it.

thebassist84

Well done for saying what you said mate. Flocking to be different! Where to start with that one! The world is a crazy place and your right about peoples priorities being wrong. Preach away, although I took it as an opinion, maybe someone will take notice andtthink about things a bit more ethically. I watched a documentary about how animals are treated in the food industry and it was vile. How anyone could eat a sausage roll after watching that is beyond me. But in buying meat products, people are supporting this, whether they choose to ignore it or not. But they certainly don't like hearing about it. Worker suicides in apple factories, life saving drugs priced on demand and not on manufacturing costs, the list is endless, but just because its accepted by the masses doesn't mean its right. But anyway, lady gaga was sooo shocking on. X factor wasn't she ;)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

are the drugs we take not tested on animals?

thebassist84

According to the documentary, animals are pumped full of drugs anyway to fatten them up and that. Grizzly stuff. The documentary was called "earthlings".

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

i know animals would eat us given the chance, and i dont think we are superior to them, in many ways we are worse so im cool with eating sausages lol

thebassist84

Forgot pigs would eat us if we didn't eat them. Killer psycho swines!