Who is the longest T2 you've met online that's still in remission

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a convo on Reddit a few months ago with a guy who had spent 25 years in remission.
His only ever A1c > 48(6.5%) was his diagnostic.
No meds, just low carb all the way.
His wife was in the same boat, 20 years since her diagnosis, highest A1c was 5.4% since.

Meeting people like that is inspirational, it's what keeps me on track.
Who's the longest in remission you have met online ? Any similar stories

D

Deleted member 543160

I won't claim remission as such. but after being diagnosed at the end of November 2013 I've been and remained at high normal/pre diabetic levels (40-47) since my first HbA1c review in Feb 2014. Ketogenic/low carb diet since diagnosis, with most of my higher HbA1c results due to non-food related issues. No diabetic meds since April 2017 when my GP finally decided it was OK to let me loose without further doses of metformin. So over 8 years now with my 3/4 century+ old pancreas doing a good(ish) job. for a still somewhat overweight and now inactive old diabetic.

ETA: When I first joined the forum I don't recall there being discussions regarding remission, it was later after Newcastle diet information and Dr Unwin joining, etc, that it was - as far as I remember - initially mentioned as achievable. But I do remember an ex-member who got and kept his levels back to normal, and was -I beleive -eating more carbs again.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 543160

Regarding the comment in my previous post regarding an ex-member, I think he may still be on the forum :oops: - previous moderator @andcol, who identified his T2 status as reversed about 8 years ago.

Reactions: ziggy_w

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed October '13, by February '14, my A1c was 37 and has been under 37 ever since. Hopefully, I can keep that going.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My blood sugar has been stable around 50 for 10 years now. I have anxiety and a couple of health conditions, so 50 is the best I can do. However, I think thats pretty good for 10 years of diet only due to low carbing.

Deediabetic

I'm a year in and I dropped my hba1c from 121 to 37 in 3 months from diagnosis by going low carb. Found out I'm pregnant and got all my blood done again because of it this week and my newest hba1c is 32! Seeing so many of you with non diabetic numbers for so many years makes me hopeful that being diagnosed so young in my late 30s doesn't necessarily mean that I'll be blind and missing limbs by my 60s. Medicine has got this all so wrong and diet and ditching carbs is what needs to be promoted as opposed to doom and medicine being the only recourse.

D

Deleted member 543160

My blood sugar has been stable around 50 for 10 years now. I have anxiety and a couple of health conditions, so 50 is the best I can do. However, I think thats pretty good for 10 years of diet only due to low carbing.
50 is almost as close to pre-diabetic levels as "d*** it is to swearing", and I reckon it's probably maintaining such long term stability that really counts, so IMO your achievement's somewhat better than "pretty good"!