Whos having a day off lchf on the 25th?

mat1uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Now i know i'm gonna get negative comments about this post but frankly i dont care.

On Christmas day i'm going to eat and drink what i want when i want.... i've been very strong willed since being diagnosed in july and made radical changes to my diet and fitness programmes which have resulted in some great results from my hba1c tests 3 stone in weight loss and all the good stuff that goes with it. So for one day im going to be a bad bad boy. Please do not see this as a slippery slope or an act of stupidity, i am a strong enough person mentally to be back on the waggon boxing day no problem at all. Im not going to test for 24hrs and will start back again with my fasting result on Boxing day. See you all on the other side Merry Christmas to one and all...... (dont expect to go too over the top but a day of not having to abstain is my wish)

Reactions: 6 people

Moniker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I generally relax my standards on special occasions. I don't go crazy, but I have a little of anything that takes my fancy. However, I am more moderate carb than low carb.

Reactions: 2 people

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now i know i'm gonna get negative comments about this post but frankly i dont care.

On Christmas day i'm going to eat and drink what i want when i want.... i've been very strong willed since being diagnosed in july and made radical changes to my diet and fitness programmes which have resulted in some great results from my hba1c tests 3 stone in weight loss and all the good stuff that goes with it. So for one day im going to be a bad bad boy. Please do not see this as a slippery slope or an act of stupidity, i am a strong enough person mentally to be back on the waggon boxing day no problem at all. Im not going to test for 24hrs and will start back again with my fasting result on Boxing day. See you all on the other side Merry Christmas to one and all...... (dont expect to go too over the top but a day of not having to abstain is my wish)
What makes you think you will get negative comments?

Many of us on this board regularly have time off our diabetic diet (LCHF or not) for special occasions. Enjoy your day - don't feel you have to justify eating and join us all in the new year as we all try and get back on track - with the help of each other.

Reactions: 5 people

mat1uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I generally relax my standards on special occasions. I don't go crazy, but I have a little of anything that takes my fancy. However, I am more moderate carb than low carb.
yep i suppose im in the same boat carb wise. ive found im able to eat more than many people which makes me a very lucky person

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Me to ..... The wife has given me a free rain to eat what I want .. Clever girl, as she knows with her blessing I will not eat nearly as much as I would if she keeps me on the Diet that one day ...... And no stabbing .. Sorry testing either .. Unless I want to test ... Yea ! I know she has been trying out parts of my crimbo dinner added to my usual meals .. And my bloods have been good .. So I may want to test just out of intrest ..
Have a wonderful day Mat

Reactions: 7 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't planned to eat anything non LCHF. but if I do slip a little I'm not going to worry about it. :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have any hard and fast plans for the day. There will be so much lovely friendly food around, Im not sure I'll feel the need to go off-piste. We have guests, so there will be unfriendly stuff aplenty too, should I decide to have some.

I haven't decided on testing, and may not, unless I go well off plan. Then I would test, just to see the impact. I'm mentally strong enough for it not to freak me out and spoil my day, if I saw an horrendous number. Of course, I could be very wrong there!!

Whatever you decide to do, have a lovely day with the important people in your life.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm planning on Roasties, Stuffing, Roast Parsnips (probably in honey), maybe some Christmas Cake, a few chocs, and a whole load of extra insulin.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll be eating much the same as normal as I frequently have a roast dinner with one roastie. I have my eye on a sliver of chocolate cake that my mum has bought for dessert but otherwise it will just be slightly larger quantities of low carb food stuff like cheese and pate. I don't have a sweet tooth so the mince pies , pud and cake never appealed. If you can manage one day off piste then straight back on wagon , go for it. I don't think I could as it still have weight to lose and don't want to get lured back into my greedy former self.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Ive been doing much the same, but only really where there has been no choice, out for a meal in a restaurant with friends etc, been careful but not worried, and have spiked but not for long, but this has not put me off.

Then go to London Kings Cross Sunday 'Nando's' (not my scene) meet and eat with my 2 daughters and son relax, eat 1/2 portion of chips gotta be 10, I know that to be too much, 3 different chilly sauces, White pitta bread pieces dipped in Hummus, I thought this is going to take me well over the top, sneaked off, (couldn't help it) a couple of times, just to check, sugars stayed normal, I was so pleased.

So yes, I will trying a few things away from the LC diet, the high fat will stay the same no prob's there.

All have a good time whatever you decide

Neil

Reactions: 8 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I've been so bad already, but I have to say I'm kinda sick of choclate and biscuits now. All I really fancy is some cheese or sauages right now. I will have a bit of christmas pud and some homemade boozy christmas cake. I will get back on track slowly over the next week, with Jan 1st (at the latest)as my day to be ultra strict again, ie under 30g carbs per day.

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I am giving myself the day off on the 25th.. am going to eat and drink and be merry. I will definitely be having stuffing and roast potatoes and my plan is to have a minced pie or a piece of Christmas pudding with lashings of cream and a spoonful or two of trifle :hungry: I am not planning to eat any chocolate, and haven't bought any even for all my guests... (there will be 12 of us for Christmas Dinner) - but if anyone one else brings some I might be tempted to 1 or 2.

That said to combat the increase in BS levels, I plan to have a walk after my Christmas dinner (weather permitting) and drink lashing of red wine lol
Then from boxing day on.. its back to being goodish

Reactions: 4 people

mat1uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got to say im so pleased with the replys so far. I have a grin from ear to ear as i think of us all being sinful for a day. goodluck and enjoy.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to have an omelette for breakfast.
And then a full roast turkey dinner with lots of white wine.
Pudding is sugar free jelly and double cream.

Later on in the day I'll probs have few choccys.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There will be so much lovely friendly food around, Im not sure I'll feel the need to go off-piste.
Same here. I love cheese, nuts, cream, berries and 85-90% chocolate so I don't see much of a problem. I've got used to my new way of eating and I'm not missing anything any more.
Merry Christmas everyone! :)

Reactions: 8 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will have my normal brekkie of yogurt, berries and flax. For dinner it won't be any different from every Sunday as we always have a roast. I don't like parsnips or stuffing, but will have peas, carrots and other veggies, plus gravy and my usual 2 roast spuds. Not sure about the Yorkshire Pudding yet. None of us likes Christmas pud or cake, so that won't be a problem. If some After Eights fall out of their wrappers, I may indulge in one, but only if hubby isn't looking. For tea it will be cheese and pickled onions with some water crackers. The red wine will flow all day, hopefully into my glass.

My meter will be upstairs in its case. I may get it out at bedtime. But I may not!

Merry Christmas one and all :)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Same here. I love cheese, nuts, cream, berries and 85-90% chocolate so I don't see much of a problem. I've got used to my new way of eating and I'm not missing anything any more.
Merry Christmas everyone! :)
Same here too!

If I eat too many carbs, I feel rough so will give them a miss. Plenty of lovely things to eat without going off plan :hungry:

Reactions: 4 people

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am going to see how the day pans out and just try and be a bit careful with out restricting myself too much. I don't like stuffing or parsnips so while they are available for others I won't have any, sprouts, cauliflower, broccali and mange toute will provide me with plenty of veg, so just a couple of small roast potatoes will do. Plenty of goose and pigs in blankets made with my normal sausages. No cake, but I do have Christmas pud and custard planned and maybe a mince pie early morning or late afternoon.

I do notice that I can feel when my BS is too high I start to feel very dopey and thick headed. I have realised that I prefer to be awake and with it, so will be keeping an eye on it for that reason more than any other. I am going to be tired enough after cooking for 8 with out feeling I am falling into a carb coma.

SuzyMo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to have a Merry Christmas too. Turkey dinner with a couple of roasties a sprout or two (I find them a bit too explosive when combined with Metformin lol) stuffing, parsnips carrots and gravy. Will pass on dessert as I'm not that bothered. May also wash it down with a glass of wine. Yum!

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got to say im so pleased with the replys so far. I have a grin from ear to ear as i think of us all being sinful for a day. goodluck and enjoy.
Well said. not being to holy, but this comes to mind!
"let him who is without sin cast the first stone" lets hope we all enjoy our Christmas without any problems regarding controls
. images.jpg

Reactions: 5 people