Who's seen the announcement from DUK on amputations?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I had the figures on the appallingly high rate of lower limb amputations in Britain months ago [I'm on a relevant DUK committee!}
I'm so glad it's now hit the news. Check out your own news sources! DUK is doing essential work to find out just what does happen to patients out there. Not everything we do is poor dietary advice!
Hana
The scary thing is that the biggest risk factor, is where you live. It also means that our[D.co.uk] kind of education on managing blood sugar needs to be out there. Some people will never take charge of their own cases. Some cannot, some WILL NOT>
Hana

Reactions: 4 people

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are there any available links to the data behind this? I have noted a very large difference in the standard of care where I receive my care (excellent) when compared to friends who live in another part of Kent, where they seem to receive no offers of education and almost no monitoring, just the usual misleading nutrition leaflets.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

C

catherinecherub

Are there any available links to the data behind this? I have noted a very large difference in the standard of care where I receive my care (excellent) when compared to friends who live in another part of Kent, where they seem to receive no offers of education and almost no monitoring, just the usual misleading nutrition leaflets.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

This atlas only goes up to 2012. Just click on the picture of England

Atlas variations in Healthcare for people with Diabetes.

http://www.rightcare.nhs.uk/index.php/atlas/diabetes

Reactions: 2 people
H

Hooked

I don't think Northern Ireland was included in any audit. Anyone know where I could look up info on it?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hmm. How much of the variation in outcomes is explained by low quality NHS service in the area, vs being explained by the characteristics of the population in the area? Has that been controlled for? I'm not saying it would still not be a problem, but I would not want to see the NHS blamed for 100% of the problem, as is implied when the term "postcode lottery" is used.

Still it's an alarmingly high level. 2.6 per thousand per year.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree that one really needs to look at the whole picture.
Fareham and Gosport are claimed to be the 'worst' area. yet this newspaper article describes a lowering of the numbers of amputations in Portsmouth. I would have thought that people from Fareham/Gosport would have gone to Portsmouth for hospitalisations
The same doctor acts as diabetes lead for both Fareham and Portsmouth.
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/he...-hail-drop-in-foot-amputation-rates-1-4806682

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't think Northern Ireland was included in any audit. Anyone know where I could look up info on it?
Northern Ireland has its own health ministry and its own version of NICE, doesn't it, like Scotland. So NHS data will normally just be England and Wales.

H

Hooked

Northern Ireland has its own health ministry and its own version of NICE, doesn't it, like Scotland. So NHS data will normally just be England and Wales.
No idea, never thought about it before as it's all just "NHS" to me. Must look into it when I get the chance.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Appalling numbers and a huge cost to the NHS. I was reading an article on the DUK website last year that said 40% of diabetics don't receive regular foot checks, anyone who doesn't get their feet checked should ask why and insist on it taking place as part of their diabetes care plan.

C

catherinecherub

There are individual area reports for complications in 2012
so this one is for Fareham and Gosport you can google 2012 diabetes audit with an area.
http://www.hscic.gov.uk/catalogue/PUB12733/nda-audi-ccg-eng-fare-11-12-rep2.pdf

In respect to the care processes there is an online tool for PCTs with 2012 data

http://diabeteswatch.diabetes.org.uk/profiles/

Up until 2009, people in Fareham and Gosport attended Haslar Hospital. This was a military hospital staffed by military personnel and was considered an excellent hospital. There were no complaints, everybody was glad to be seen there.
Things changed in 2009 when Haslar was closed, although massive petitions and marches were in vain to stop the closure. Some of it's personnel did secure temporary posts withjin Portsmouth Hospitals.
You could tell the difference in staff who had been educated to a high nursing/caring standard and did the very best for their patients. People were always glad to be assigned to a Queen Alexandra nurse and military doctors.

I have attended Portsmouth for a variety of reasons and would not recommend it to anyone. Posh new buildings, state of the art furniture and decor but there is no defining feature and care varies throughout the different departments. The population in Portsmouth and surrounding areas is too big for the departments and appointments take forever and can often be cancelled the day before via the telephone.
Diabetes care within the catchment area is a postcode lottery, some surgeries strive to give diabetics excellent care, Type1s receive hospital care and education is used for Type 2s , including test strips whereas others give the obligatory leaflets and a "see you in three months" scenarios.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It takes a long time to gather data and process it. There are moves afoot [ha ha!] to make data gathering a continuous process, but there'll always be delays in publishing it to the general public. There are quite a few legal implications too.
I've asked quite a few questions on the data gathering processes at meetings. Most committe members are healthcare professionals, but you'd be surprised at how much influence simple questions from intelligent non- medics has on their thinking processes. Some of them still don't understand how bad the situation is for many patients. they assume that all people with foot disease are referred to multi professional teams within a short time of diagnosis. Some of us pointed out that not every area even has such teams and that referral from primary care just doesn't happen in places. Not to mention the number of cases seen in primary care, which are not recognised as serious! One of our members told a story of a patient who had persistent high sugars and a sore on a foot that refused tto heal. she was told that was"normal". Someone arrqanged for her to see a GP in another practice. The foot was amputated wihin a matter of days! I'm sure the story isn't unique.
Hana