Why am I always going low? Help!

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I hope this is the right place to post this.

For the last few days my pattern has been as follows:

Pre Breakfast: <4
Lunchtime: 6-9
Post lunch: (app 2-3 hours later) <4
Before Tea : usually a correction needed to correct a treated hypo
Before Bed (10.30pm): <10
A midnight/1am: I start to drop by about 1 or 2mmol but usually still safe enough to feel I wont go low.

I am on a split dose of Lantus, 9 units in the morning, 7 before bed. (Always have been)

I carb count with a ratio of 2:10 for breakfast, 1:10 for the rest of the day. I am confident my carb counting has been accurate as I have been having the same lunch for the past few months (almost daily). I have fewer (very little) carbs for my evening meal- but that is also the time I usually have to correct.

I have gradually been reducing my night time Lantus (by 1 unit a night- started at 10units) to try and eliminate my night time hypos first- this hasn’t worked yet. I know I have to fix those night time lows first. My quick acting is Novorapid. I have been on both insulins for as long as I remember.

I am a 2009 DAfne graduate- with rusty skills. I have made changes to my diet, but things I have done before without having the same impact on my bloods.

I finally have my hands on a libre reader. In the process of getting my hands on a sensor. Hoping that will help.

Any thoughts?

CI x

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Reduce the basal more? That's too many hypos. Aside from hypos being horrible, if you keep your blood sugar too low you start to risk losing hypo awareness.
Good luck. How I hate hypos.

D

Deleted Account

As @EllieM suggests, it looks as if your basal dose is a bit high.
Might be a good idea to do a basal test to check.

Have you been exercising more recently? Or doing anything else which may affect your BG such as changing your diet, having a few drinks with your mates, less stress at work, ...?

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you! Do I reduce the night one first? To address bedtime ones?

Or can I reduce both at the same time?

How do I do a basal test?

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been trying to reduce my hba1c so have made lots of food changes but have been doing this for some time now- but the hypos are recent.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was on lantus I was asked to take it just in the morning to avoid night time hypos - it's got a life of around 16 hours.

Ive changed to tresiba now which seems to suit me a lot better

Reactions: CranberryIce

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was finally suggested today that if I can’t manage my lows then I try Tresiba.

A little bit nervous about changing insulin as I have always been on Lantus.

Does Tresiba have a peak Like Lantus does?

Or anything you can share from
your personal experience of using it?

CI