Why Am I feeling this way

esmecullen

I've bene recently diagnosed with type 2 and have found the forum very informative and have started to use some of the help found on here with regards to diet, blood testing,etc. I know its early days ......... but why the hell do I feel so upset, spent most of today and this evening in tears!!

I woke up this morning felling very stiff and my spine was aching like mad........ I suffer with Ankylosing Spondylitis as well (this was diagnosed 15yrs ago) My painkillers havent helped easing the pain...... so I've had that all day.

I done my bloods 2hrs after lunch and yay they were down to 6.8!! But instead of feeling cheerful that I am doing something positive.......... I just burst into tears and just cant seem to stop it........ anything will set me off this evening.

Sorry its such a depressing post..........you all seem really upbeat even when you are feeling not to good ......... is this depression just because I'm not 100% or is it because my blood sugar has gone down as bit??

Thanks

C

catherinecherub

Hi esme,
Sorry you are feeling so down.
Diabetes is relatively new to you and your emotions are still quite raw coming to terms with everything. It is not unusual to feel like this in the beginning. Ask yourself what you would say to someone who presented themselves to you in the same situation.
It does get better, I promise and once those blood sugars stabalize you will feel the benefit..
An aching spine is not helping you so perhaps you could ask the Doc to change your painkillers.
Your progress is fantastic and you should be feeling proud that things are moving in the right direction.
You are not alone so feel free to post anything that you need answers for.
Regards, Catherine.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi Esme, what you are feeling is something everyone goes through whenever a traumatic event takes place.Being diagnosed with diabetes is certainly a traumatic event! It's the grief process,anger ,denial,depression and then acceptance.Once you come to see that this is controllable and that you can control it through your diet etc then you will feel better about it.Having said that we all have off days when we feel 'down' that does seem to go hand in hand with diabetes as well.Come here,let off steam,we understand it.
As Catherine said ,see if you can get better pain relief for your spine,discuss it with your doctor to see if there are alternative painkillers you can get.Constant pain is very tiring and the pain itself can put up your blood sugar levels because of the stress on your body.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hope youre feeling a bit better now :D

sugar2

Esme,

Hope you are OK. I can't add to what the other shave written, just wanted to wish you well, and let you know that you are not alone in feeling like this,
Take care,
S

chocoholic

Hi Esme,
As others have said, we all went through feeling as you do at the beginning and even now I get days when things get on top of me and I reach for the Kleenex. I wish I'd found this site as early as you have after diagnosis though. I felt so, very, very alone for those first few months.
Now that you have found us, hopefully we can all give you a morale boost when you need it.It's very early days for you but you will gradually start to feel brighter again. Honest.
All the best, chocoholic.

esmecullen

Thank you all :) I'm feeling less weepy today and spinal pain is not as bad as yesterday, still stiff tho.

I've made an appointment to see my rhumetologist to see about a change of painkiller. I think I just let everything get on top of me and living alone I felt it more!! Tho last night my cat realising something was up, spent most of last night cuddled up to me in bed :)

On the upside, the blood sugars have not gone up still lowish......... 6.6 which I'm happy about and I'm looking into low carb eating, have reduced my carb intake in any event after reading some of the posts here.

Thanks again for your kind support xx

chocoholic

Aw, cats do seem to sense when you need a bit of lovin' don't they? We took in a stray a while back and when I was going through a 'low' spot, he often nestled up to me, with a knowing look.

CalicoBec

Hey Esme,

If you check out this post:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6074

You'll see not so long ago I also felt down, just after being diagnosed, I think it's perfectly normal to feel that way. You have had a big shock, even when you are expecting as I was, it was still a shock!

I think at different times we will all have down times, but remember it does get easier! I tested my blood yesterday and it was 4.8 so i thought sod this, i'm having a cake lol It was lovely, just what i had been craving in that post from before!

Keep talking, it helps

Becca