Why am I high?

rkeane

Hey,
I was out on Saturday night. Had a few drinks and had a good time. On Sunday, I reduced my dosage of insulin as I do after drinking. Everything seemed fine until Sunday night when I was going to bed. Checked my levels before bedtime and was 4.1. So I took some Lucozade and slece bread. Woke up this morn feeling terrible. Shocking pains in my stomach and a reading of 12. Couldn't eat anything so only took 2 units of Levemere. Checked my levels just there before lunch and am at 10! Don't even know if I'm hungry for lunch now or what to do. Still have horrific pains in my stomach. Any suggestions?

Verve09

Hi,

Sorry to hear the blood sugars have been annoying recently! It sounds as though you could be ill. If you have horrid stomach pains and high bs, I would guess it could be a bug or illness. Continue to monitor it regularly and correct for the highs and see how you feel. I often get high bs before any real symptoms show.

Hope you feel better soon.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not sure why you cut your levemir (basal)
As the other poster says you may be sickening for something which can raise levels.
At this time you may need slightly more, not less insulin (normally though its the bolus...rapid acting which is adjusted)

howie

yeah when i'm out drinking and i have to shoot up i use a coupla less units on the levimir. but why adjust your levimir when you skipped food? it's purpose is to take up the glucose continually released from the liver and that aint gonna change unless ya ill or drunk. i often skip a meal and with it just skip my novorapid (cos it's designed to take with ya food).

+ i'm guessing a slice of bread might have been a bit heavy i'd blame that, just checked my bg before bed and it's 3.8. i'll probably just have a mouthful of OJ.

all best,
howie

Giraffe

your post title made me laugh! I wanted to say "'cos you're on drugs!"

The people saying 'why cut your levermir' - because of the alcohol drunk the previous night - it lasts longer than just when you are drunk - the liver can't get round to producing sugar until it's metabolised the alcohol, I often find I can go low the day after drinking too. So it's clear why you did that.

Maybe you got bug or something? Or just acid belly from the booze.

Or you are going to re-enact into that scene from Alien.