Why am I so dissappointed

Jacqhar

Hi

I have just got back from getting my blood test results - blood pressure is the lowest it has ever been, and Hba1C has come down from 9.7 (March), 7.5(June) to 6.0 last week. I am on byetta and 2 x metformin a day (down from 4) yet still feel really dissappointed. I was aiming for mid 5's. I have also lost 3 stone in the past year and my GP is really happy with me. When I saw a locum this morning and she saw my reaction to getting a 6 she said I am getting obsessive and this is what comes of self testing then went on to say if I don't change my 'mind set' before my next visit (November 2009) she will stop my test strips!!

Needless to say I'll not be seeing her again if I can help it.

Am I being unrealistic trying to get my Hba1C down as low as possible?

Jacqueline

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
The answer is No. You should not be feeling so disappointed. Any reduction in your HbA1c is an achievement, and you have achieved so much since diagnosis. You have helped the practice exceed one of its targets. Everything about your results today is a significant achievement.

If I can be blunt for a moment, sod the locum! On the bright side you have another 12 months supply of test strips!

Pick yourself up, stick two fingers up at the locum (mentally, literally or both), and keep up the good work.

Regards, Tubs.

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Jac,
There's definitely no need to be dissapointed with your HbA1c, with what you've achieved you should have posted in the Success stories thread. Perhaps you will hit your target when you have your next blood tests done.

Best of luck
Graham

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya jac,
those are great readings ,you have done so well,ignore that dr and im sure u will get where u want with your numbers,rome wasnt built in a day,
you should be so happy with them numbers, :!:

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hello Jacqhar,

9.7, 7.5, 6.0. The statistician in me can see a favourable pattern emerging. 8)

So keep up the good work.

All the best,
timo.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dear Jacqhar,
Your progress is just astounding and I'm absolutely delighted for you. And your locum wants to reward your efforts by making things more difficult? Jeez.
You're getting better but the prognosis for your locum isn't so good. No cure for idiocy on the horizon.

fergus

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
WEll done! that's brilliant I can understand that you set yourself a target and didn't hit it. I was disappointed at my 6.1 last time. Intellectually, I know it's pretty good.

Your locum had no right to treat you that way. You are doing your best to keep diabetes under control and threatening you is unacceptable.It's that stupid Irish study which has got them fixated on people being obsessive. My GP accuses me of it too and then told me that he had patients with HbA1cs of 10, who just come in and shut their minds to it. which of us is going to make things more difficult for him?Not only incomplications, but also in his government statistics.

Trinkwasser

This is a likely response to the ACCORD study where diabetics showed worse results with lower A1c.

Unfortunately what didn't come through was the way this was achieved - by giving them a high carb diet and heavy medications.

IMO the worse results had more to do with the protocol used than the A1c as such.

We are already making room for your chair in the 5% CLub ready for your next results.

Carol11

Congrats on all your achievements. Good going. As for the "obsessive" comment, ignore it. That's what got you the good results. My family doctor made the same comment to me and I ignored him as well. All the best Carol

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
Goo results Jac. As has been said 'sod the locum'. They have no idea what we all go though and just read from books or what they've learnt. If they haven't got diabetes then they're just blagging it!! :wink: