Why am I tired all the time?

stewpid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Hope some of you experts out there can help me.

I am a 55 year old T1 (diagnosed in 1999) and on Humalog and Lantus, plus other medication for BP and Cholestrol. Not a lot has changed recently in terms of medication, although I have recently been on a personal dose adjustment course (similar to DAFNE) and this has improved my BG readings quite significantly over the past 6-8 weeks (e.g. first thing this morning I was 6.0 and then I was 4.7 two hours after food).

However, I can sleep for England!! I wake up after 7-8 sleep and feel tired and I yawn all day long. Over the weekend I didn't do anything particularly strenuous but still fell asleep in the chair at 5pm yesterday.

Does anybody else experience this or is it just a function of age?

Look forward to hearing your opinions.

Regards

Stewart

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Lots of things can cause tiredness. the simplest is probably high BG. Anohter possibility is anaemia, which can be diabetes related. Then the quality of your sleeping. the list is endless. perhaps the best is see your GP

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi, your tiredness is prob most likely related to the Lantus you are taking. I was on it for 4 1/2 years and tiredness was one of the many side effects i suffered on it. It did not feel like a normal kind of tiredness, and sometimes it could come on suddenly, like i had been drugged. Many, many people report lack of consistent blood sugar control and other side-effects, especially the tiredness. You should really do some research.
Lots of people report probs on synthetic, particularly analogue insulin. Also you may want to look at the IDDT (insulin dependent diabetes trust) website-they also have a helpline number.
Jus

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi Stewart,

It might be worth getting your thyroid function checked out.

Regards
Timo.

janabelle

Dislikes
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi, just come back from local diabetes uk comittee meeting. Amongst us , aside from me, were 2 type-1s, who had both had negative experiences on Lantus including tiredness, and a partner of a type-1 who is currently tired all the time and on Lantus! The rest were type-2s.
This is no co-incidence, Lantus causes this problem and many others besides.
Jus

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
id definately see your g.p, as already said ,there are many health probs that can cause it and thyroid problems are more common in diabetics :D

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Lantus is a very common insulin, and tiredness is a very common symptom.
People are stressed, anemia, thyroid, maybe you just need to relax.

If it's that bad, see your GP as it could be many things.

janabelle

Dislikes
Having RP
Nonsense, of course tiredness is a common problem, but if it's extreme enough for someone to report it on this forum, it's obviously not 'normal' tiredness. As I've said MANY people including myself suffered extreme exhaustion and other side-effects besides, and don't feel like that when they come off Lantus. It's related, face facts.

Jus

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
I'm sorry if you had a bad experience, i just don't see the harm in pointing out that a large proportion of things have 'tireness' as a symptom, and most diabetics are put on Lantus as a starting point.
It could be the Lantus, or it could be many other things.

janabelle

Dislikes
Having RP
Celtic Piskie
It's not just myself who's had a bad experience with Lantus, it's many people. Of course other illnesses suchas thyroid probs, anaemia; etc have to be ruled out if someone's experiencing unusual tiredness. Statins too can cause side-effects, not sure if tiredness is one of them, but I know that Lantus DOES cause it. There was no other reason for the zombie state and illness I experienced, coming off it proved that. Hearing other peoples testimonies confirms it.
Stewart, I hope our suggestions have been of some help, prob best you see your doc and discuss our tiredness problems with him though.
Hope it gets better soon.
Jus