Type 1 Why am I told that Low(er) Carb WOE isn't suitable for Type 1

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Today I have again been told that a Low(er) Carbohydrate 'Way Of Eating' isn't suitable for Type 1 diabetics.

Why is this when DCUK, DietDoctor, Diabetes.org/uk and Endocrinology.org all say that it may be suitable for a Type 1 diabetes patient?

It is so frustrating to be told that as a T2D and a TOFI, any opinion I have about Type 1 is effectively worthless. As though I can't research Type 1 as well as I do Type 2 just because I don't actually have Type1

5 min worth of looking for references yielded these links from which I have each quoted a small relevant section ( note that for ease of seeing the relevance I have bolded some phrases and sentences - my bolding, not theirs).:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/325195.php
How do carbs affect diabetes?
A low-carb diet may be one of the most effective diabetes management strategies, especially for people who might be able to avoid medication.
Carbs elevate blood glucose more than any other food. For people with insulin resistance, blood glucose may remain elevated for hours after eating carbs.
For those with type 1 diabetes who do not produce enough insulin, carbs can also cause blood glucose spikes,
so a low-carb diet may help people with both type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
Carbs can also affect a person's health in other ways. Carb-rich foods tend to be high in calories but low in
some important nutrients, such as protein. Eating too many of these "empty calories" can lead to weight gain.
Research shows that people who eat carb-rich foods may also feel more hunger between meals, causing them to overeat.
A low-carb diet may also:
give a person more energy
lower average blood glucose, or HbA1c levels
reduce food cravings, especially for sugar
lower the risk of hypoglycemia
aid weight loss efforts
decrease the risk of long-term diabetes complications
lower cholesterol

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/enjoy-food/eating-with-diabetes/meal-plans-/low-carb
About low-carb diets
A low-carb diet is generally defined as below 130g of carbohydrate a day.
This low-carb meal plan aims to help you maintain a healthy, balanced diet while reducing the amount of carbs you eat.
Varying amounts of carbohydrate are shown each day to help you choose which works best for you. You might want to use
it to lose weight, or maintain a healthy weight.
If you're overweight, finding a way to lose weight can help you reduce your risk of complications.
There are different ways of doing this, and the low-carb diet is just one option. Other options include the
Mediterranean diet.
And if you have Type 2 diabetes, we now know that aiming for 15kg weight loss (especially nearer to your diagnosis)
can improve your chances of putting your Type 2 diabetes into remission.
If you have Type 1 diabetes, it's important to know that the best way to keep your blood sugar levels steady is to
carb count rather than following a particular diet.

It's important to know that if you treat your diabetes with insulin or any other medication that puts you at risk of
hypos (low blood sugar levels), following a low-carb diet may increase this risk.
Speak to your healthcare team about this so they can help you adjust your medications to reduce your risk of hypos.
Whether you have Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes, you might need to lose, gain or maintain your current weight but it’s
important to make healthier food choices while you’re doing this. Research suggests that the best type of diet is
one that you can maintain in the long term, so it's important to talk to your healthcare professional about what
you think will work for you.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/low-carb-and-type1-diabetes.html

Low-carbohydrate diets can be very beneficial for people with type 1 diabetes
Reducing carbohydrate intake can help to largely eliminate the spikes and crashes in sugar levels that are common on higher carb diets.
Whilst low-carb diets may not be for everyone, those that maintain the diet tend to achieve very good blood glucose control and enjoy
a renewed sense of confidence and well-being.
HOW LOW-CARB DIETS IMPROVE CONTROL
A pioneer in the popularity of low-carbohydrate diets for type 1 diabetes is engineer-turned-physician Dr. Richard K. Bernstein.
Low-carb diets can also help children that are overweight to lose weight and reduce the risk of developing chronic health problems including type 2 diabetes and heart problems.
Bernstein’s approach is based around his ‘law of small numbers’ which states that that smaller doses of insulin will result in smaller errors of judgment and therefore improved blood glucose control
To illustrate his approach, if you inject 10 units of insulin to cover your lunch but make up to a 25% error, you could end up injecting up to 2.5 units too many or too few which could lead to much too high or low blood sugar levels
By contrast an injection of 4 units of insulin with the same error would result in on over- or under-dose of up to 1 unit.
In this case, any error won’t be as problematic or dangerous as it would be for the 10-unit dose.
BENEFITS
Prevents sharp spikes in blood glucose after meals
Reduces risk of severe hypos
Can make diabetes easier to manage
Can help reduce HbA1c levels
Can help reduce body weight
May help prevent diabetes complications
Other benefits can include
Reduction in tiredness through the day
Less hunger between meals
Improvement in clarity of thought
Can help skin complexion

https://www.dietdoctor.com/diabetes/type-1

Type 1 diabetes – how to control your blood sugar with fewer carbs
By Franziska Spritzler, RDFranziska Spritzler, RD, medical review by Dr. David Cavan, MDDr. David Cavan, MD – Updated October 9, 2019 Evidence based
Type 1 diabetes – previously called “juvenile-onset diabetes” – results when the body is no longer able to produce the hormone insulin.
Insulin keeps blood glucose (sugar) levels under control by transferring glucose from the blood vessels into the body’s cells, where it is used as energy.
Type 1 diabetes is treated with insulin injections.
The more carbohydrates you eat, the more insulin will need to be injected. Thus, perhaps not surprisingly, studies and experience have shown that low-carb diets can be beneficial for people with type 1 diabetes.1

The main benefits are preventing blood glucose spikes after meals and reducing the risk of low glucose levels (hypoglycemia).
This makes it easier to maintain stable and near-normal blood glucose levels.
However, there are special considerations that people with type 1 diabetes need to be aware of when adopting a low carb diet.
So here is our guide to low-carb diets in type 1 diabetes.

https://www.endocrinology.org/endoc...w-carb-diet-shows-promise-in-type-1-diabetes/

Very-low-carb diet shows promise in type 1 diabetes

In results taken from an online patient survey, Lennerz et al. identified the potential for very-low-carbohydrate diets to improve blood sugar control in type 1 diabetes.
The survey respondents reported an average daily carbohydrate intake of 36g, or about 5% of total calories.
(As a comparison, the American Diabetes Association recommends that about 45% of calories come from carbohydrates.)
Respondents reported using lower-than-average doses of insulin, and reported positive measures of insulin sensitivity and cardiometabolic health, such as low triglyceride levels and high HDL cholesterol levels.
Safety concerns have been raised about very-low-carbohydrate diets in type 1 diabetes, in particular an increased risk of hypoglycaemia.
However, the survey respondents reported rates of hospitalisation for hypoglycaemia (1%), diabetic ketoacidosis (2%) and other diabetes complications that were lower than those generally reported for type 1 diabetes populations.
More than 80% of survey respondents were satisfied or very satisfied with their diabetes management.
The researchers are now calling for controlled clinical trials of this approach.
Read the full article in Pediatrics doi:10.1542/peds.2017-3349.

Reactions: HSSS
M

Member496333

It is so frustrating to be told that as a T2D and a TOFI, any opinion I have about Type 1 is effectively worthless. As though I can't research Type 1 as well as I do Type 2 just because I don't actually have Type1

Welcome to the club. I have no opinion to offer on this subject.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In the 1970s a Dr Howard was working with the pilot plant unit of Lyons Tetley, as it was then, (it became Allied Lyons during my time there) developing a diet to be used in Hospital for extremely overweight people. Some of the things became the Cambridge Diet - not the peach flavour dessert though, which was really nice, even better than the strawberry. He had trouble because what other people believed did not match the results of his first tentative experiments.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My team are all in favour of my low carb diet. The results speak for themselves.

Reactions: Jaylee

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Today I have again been told that a Low(er) Carbohydrate 'Way Of Eating' isn't suitable for Type 1 diabetics.
You shouldn't believe everything you are told.
A possible issue can be if going low enough to go into ketosis, a ketone test is useless for checking ketoacidosis. Some T1's can develop DKA in a matter of hours when having a bug, without outrageous bg's.
There also seem to be quite a lot HCP's who don't have a clue about the difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis. And there is of course the inheritance of years of having T1's on mixed insulins, which needed a regular intake of carbs. It takes time for old habits to die.

Of course there's nothing wrong for T1's who are confident adjusting their doses to eat low carb.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ianf0ster .
I would wholeheartedly agree with your thread title albeit for one word.
Personally I would change “ suitable “ for “ necessary “.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's perfectly fine to have an opinion on type 1, who said you couldn't? It's the same as when a non diabetic reads up on the subject and proffers an opinion to those with diabetes, in the end all they are doing is opining on what they THINK that person should or shouldn't be doing or passing on something they have read. Until you have walked in the shoes of those with a condition you don't have then cutting and pasting is fine but does not compare to real life. How many times I wonder does a non diabetic collar hold of a person with say type 2, and then proceeds to tell them 'all about it'.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
It's perfectly fine to have an opinion on type 1, who said you couldn't? It's the same as when a non diabetic reads up on the subject and proffers an opinion to those with diabetes, in the end all they are doing is opining on what they THINK that person should or shouldn't be doing or passing on something they have read. Until you have walked in the shoes of those with a condition you don't have then cutting and pasting is fine but does not compare to real life. How many times I wonder does a non diabetic collar hold of a person with say type 2, and then proceeds to tell them 'all about it'.
Hi,
That is what I thought.
But apparently just me having an opinion, even when it agrees with that of several Type 1's, is contentious with some.
Perhaps they just don't like me, however I don't allow personal feelings to intrude into such serious subjects.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
That is what I thought.
But apparently just me having an opinion, even when it agrees with that of several Type 1's, is contentious with some.
Perhaps they just don't like me, however I don't allow personal feelings to intrude into such serious subjects.

Hi Ian, nobody can tell you what you can or can't have an opinion on so don't let them! You are likely to get some terse replies if you stray into 'this is what you should be doing and it would then all be so easy' territory because we are all human but EVERYONE is entitled to an opinion. Also don't forget there is PLENTY of differing opinions between all type 1s, all type 2's and everything in between, we are NOT the same no matter whether we share the same conditions. x

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@ianf0ster .
I would wholeheartedly agree with your thread title albeit for one word.
Personally I would change “ suitable “ for “ necessary “.
Why? Do you think it's wrong to eat more carbs than 'low' carb when you can do so with healthy bg's?

(edit: I misunderstood, so please ignore this post. It doesn't make sense.)

Last edited:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why? Do you think it's wrong to eat more carbs than 'low' carb when you can do so with healthy bg's?
My reply is that I simply believe that LOW CARB has it is portrayed on this forum isn’t necessary for perfectly good T1 control.
I think it’s perfectly acceptable to consume as many carbs as you do desire. Why do think I was suggesting it’s wrong to eat more carbs?

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use a basal-bolus regime and low-carb stabilized my blood sugar readings and insulin requirements.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How many times I wonder does a non diabetic collar hold of a person with say type 2, and then proceeds to tell them 'all about it'.
Many researchers, drs and nurses.

Some have a decent grip of it -for someone not walking in those shoes - others don’t! Surely the relevance is in the information more than the deliverer

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My reply is that I simply believe that LOW CARB has it is portrayed on this forum isn’t necessary for perfectly good T1 control.
I think it’s perfectly acceptable to consume as many carbs as you do desire. Why do think I was suggesting it’s wrong to eat more carbs?
Because I sometimes am a sloppy reader and I misunderstood you. Apologies!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
@ianf0ster . Are you an advocate of low carb WOE. Is it a diet you follow and does it work for you ?

Hi therower,
Not for every Type 2. Non-Lacto Vegetarians and Vegans have a very hard time implementing a Low Carb WOE, because of the Fats and Proteins that such a Veg or Vegan Way Of Eating rejects. So for them, Intermittent Fasting, or even Longer term fasting may be more sustainable. For some (few) Type 2's even a crash diet or even Bariatric surgery may be better.

Also in my opinion it isn't a diet and I feel it should be started without any Calorie restriction -until the body is 'fat adapted' (insulin levels low enough that the body can use up its own internal store of energy (visceral fat). If Calorie restriction is done before this point (though this doesn't apply to Fasting) a Calorie restriction is likely to result in a lower Metabolic Rate which is self defeating.

Having said that, I am now 'fat adapted' and despite being 'Thin Outside , Fat Inside', I lost between 1 and 2lbs per week throughout my initial 'weight loss phase' - though I 'ate to my meter' by skipping meals if not hungry + having a higher pre-breakfast BG reading.

I think I am now (more or less ) past the 'weight loss phase', so I probably have much less visceral fat left to burn through.
This means I slightly increase my total Calories to stabilise my weight. This should also stabilise my LDL at a lower figure- since I'm no longer getting historic LDL dumped into my bloodstream on its way out of my body.

Does a Low carb (or LCHF) Way Of Eating work for me? - That is an unqualified yes! My HbA1C is now in the 'pre-diabetic' range and headed toward normal, My HDL is higher, and I have lost 23lbs mainly of stored fat from a starting weight of 170lbs.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Many researchers, drs and nurses.

Some have a decent grip of it -for someone not walking in those shoes - others don’t! Surely the relevance is in the information more than the deliverer

Hi HSSS, I agree with you up to a point but the fact that many researchers/Drs/Nurses are in a position to give out 'information' doesn't always mean that information is relevant to all, especially when that very information is coming from someone who 'knows best' for 'YOU'. Take for example, their information to follow the eatwell plate? Does it work just because they say it does? The deliverer may be getting their information from the 'experts' but again who is to say that the information is right? That is why I make mention of the person who is walking the walk, I would far rather take information from them when it comes to general management of a condition I share with them than text book stuff from someone who is not living it. Please don't get me wrong, I am more than willing to listen to a qualified medical person when it comes to 'medicines' but day to day type 1 diabetes issues, erm, no.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ianf0ster .
That’s great that you have found something that works for you as a type 2.
I’ve been type 1 for 28 yrs. No complications, perfectly healthy.
In this time I’ve tried various diets.
Now I’m only speaking from my own personal experience, which has and still is serving me well.
It is very frustrating when so called experts who you have quoted try to tell me that they have a diet that will work for me.
It’s even more frustrating when people with next to no knowledge about my condition feel the need to question why I don’t follow a particular diet.
As for LCHF or low carb whatever you want to call it. For me it’s a fad diet that doesn’t work for me. I have proof of this on account I’ve tried it 3 times. Each time i used new found information that was available in order to ensure I was doing the diet justice. It didn’t and doesn’t give the results that make it worthwhile.
Obviously Low carb does work for some T1’s but it isn’t a requisite for good control.
It’s an option and this is something that should be made obvious, especially to newly diagnosed T1’s.