Why are doctors so useless sometimes

Hendie

I cannont believe what my gp said to me on my last appointment, ive got raging diabetes symptoms all the usual ect and my gp said to me "i just dont understand why you have a blood glucose monitor at home if your not diabetic!" Are they for real ?!

Also she said she did not believe i was insulin resistant but would not even test me for it ???

In the end she said ill agree to disagree and refered me to an endo who i would will investigate insulin resistance!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Well he sounds difficult, but he sent you to the endo, so the final result was good, much better for you than just send you for a fasting blood test.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
It's short for endochronologist
From wikipedia:
Endocrinology is a branch of biology and medicine dealing with the endocrine system, its diseases, and its specific secretions called hormones, the integration of developmental events such as proliferation, growth, and differentiation.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The good news is that you have been referred to an endo. If you have high BS readings then your GP should have tested you and defined you as a diabetic if necessary regardless of you having the meter or not. I wouldn't worry about the insulin resistance aspect too much. Some of us Type 2s i.e. around 15% are not overweight and hence may show no evidence of insulin resistance unless tested for it. The treatment however, if tablets are needed, may be similar although less towards metformin and more towards the insulin stimulants and possibly both. Hopefully your endo will do all the right things and having a meter is a good things so you can check what foods are affecting your BS.