why are my levels so high over the last few days

LaughingHyena

Arghhh, I was expecting a few wobbles over Christmas, we've been away form home so different meal times, harder to carb count and so on. However once I was back home I thought things would straighten out. Not so far.

I've wondered about an illness, I have a bit of a sore throat and the kids have each had a couple of off days. Normaly by now I would have got better or worse though and be able to tell one way or the other.

I changed the catridges in both pens this morning, since I changed them a couple of weeks back when this started.

At the moment I've been doing corrections with most meals, should I carry on with that for a while or think about upping my basal. I didn't want to fiddle with the basal at first in case it was illness. Any other suggestions why this might be, and what I can do about it?

kirstymc

Hey,

I know there is a chest infection going around which starts with a sore throat for a few weeks.

If you are finding your sugars too high consistently I would recommend altering your insulin dosage, but only by small amounts until your levels are back to your normal level. I would recommend until you stabilise you of course check your sugars before meals and anywhere between 1-3hours after eating just so you can track the progress.

It may be an illness however your body may now be at the stage it requires more insulin in general.

Can I ask how long you have had your diabetes?

Hope this helps!

pollyguns

Hi Kirsti, if your anything like me you probibly had to much jellies and the like, I got up this morning and my suger level was 15.8 its normally 6's.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
With you having a sore throat and the kids been ill I would persevere with the correction doses for now, once things have settled down you could always carry out some basal fasting tests if you think your background dose is wrong.

corvusfleo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
I get this situation (all too) frequently and I've found that it is seldom any of the "standard" reasons (by which I mean this sort of list: http://www.diabetes.org.uk/FAQ/FAQ_2/). Although one thing you could do is take your temperature to see if you do have any infection.

I find that if my readings are in the teens for about a day then I get stuck in this state for two or three days. From reading other people's experiences and books like Richard Berstein's diabetes solutions book I think the best explanation is: when my bm is above about 12 the effective ration of insulin to carbs changes so I need to use more insulin, this change for me is from 1 unit to 4g of carbs to 1:3 or even 1:2.

But you can't inject too much insulin of course in case of a crash hypo. Also the effectiveness of the insulin changes with large injections. So I've found that for example a 4 unit injection seems to have about the effect I expect in about the time I expect. But a large injection of say 16 units has a much more unpredictable effect - not all the insulin seems to make it in to your blood and the timing of when it has effect changes.

These two things combine to make it difficult to recover from the high bm situation. The best I've managed to come up with is to test more and inject smaller amounts more often, eat less and drink lots of water.

Good luck!
Dave