Type 2 Why did a Hospital Doctor try to start me on Lipitor?

JenniferG

I am type 2 diabetic, with a cholesterol of 121. I've heard normal is up to 199. I've always been around 120 my entire life. I'm morbidly obese as well.

Anyways, when I was in the hospital a couple months ago, the doctor discharging me said I should be on Lipitor (statin). I asked him what it was for and he said cholesterol. I said I have good cholesterol and always have. He went on to say it helps diabetics, and that it is part of the "standards of care" for diabetics. That's all he said. Gave me no explanation.

So I'd love it if someone could explain why someone with good cholesterol needs to start taking Lipitor, and how this might relate to helping a diabetic, and be part of some sort of "standards of care".

I actually read somewhere recently that statins actually increase blood sugars. Which is what I don't want.

Thanks!
Jennifer

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Someone told me that doctors get a bonus for every patient they get onto statins. I don't know if its true or not, but when I refused he got quite cross and more or less told me not to blame him when I died of a heart attack or stroke. I don't see that doctor any more.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. There is a common view that all or most diabetics should be on statins. The reasoning is pretty stupid and is in part influenced by the drug manufacturers need to make profits and also I believe GP bonuses. If your diabetes is well-controlled then you are no different from a non-diabetic for a start. Your total cholesterol figure has little relevance to the need for a stain. The LDL, HDL and Trigs ratios are more important so ask the doctor for those figures and ratios and Google the web for what good ratios are. It's possible if you are obese that your ratios will be bad. The solution is the right low-carb diet to get to a lower weight if possible and then take more blood tests.