Why did no one ever write "I've got 99 problems and Diabetes is definitely one of them" ?

I joined this forum some years ago and didn't know how to use it properly (still don't) and should have thrown myself into it at that point. Please help me out ! I have diabetes Type 2 and various other health stuff which is mostly making my life a nightmare. Please do not assume that I have done nothing and hoped for the best. I appreciate that we have to make a concerted effort and do certain things in order to create change (yarda yarda yarda) There's just too much to deal with and I feel debilitated by it all. Yeh, this sounds very defeatist, I am aware.

Due to all the conflict of what I am 'meant' to be doing between all issues nutrition-wise I often end up doing the wrong thing as it would seem that nothing will ultimately work. It's complicated ! If anyone else relates to this and can constructively help (I will try to help too) find ways to realistically move forward, that would be a miracle....

Last edited:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, @waxing lyrical .
A good start, so that members can offer help would be for you to tell us a bit about yourself.

What do you typically eat?
Are you on any medication?
What is it that you have been told to do, already, and by whom?
Lots of people have joined here , confused and despondent, so understand how complicated it all can seem. Help the members to help you by giving a bit more information.

• Agree
Reactions: Melgar and KennyA
Relating to meds -

I am on empaglifzon.

Additionally, I was on the semaglutide tablet for around a month - bad side effects. stopped and a few months later, started it again for just over a week and a half and couldn't handle it.

i have been messed around regarding having semaglutide by injection instead. At first I was told they had the correct dosage available but that turned out to not be the case. I have heard that the chance of the side affects lessen when you take the med this way so it's been distressing to not be able to try. I have also been told chances are he injection will not be available until the end of the year.

I have now been given Sitagliptin which I have not yet started as I have been dealing with the side effects and wanting to wait a bit. I hear Stigagliptin will have a lot less effective in terms of weight loss in contrast to Semaglutide, but is good for blood sugar levels. Please correct me if I am wrong with any of this...

• Hug
Reactions: Pipp

Melgar

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I joined this forum some years ago and didn't know how to use it properly (still don't) and should have thrown myself into it at that point. Please help me out ! I have diabetes Type 2 and various other health stuff which is mostly making my life a nightmare. Please do not assume that I have done nothing and hoped for the best. I appreciate that we have to make a concerted effort and do certain things in order to create change (yarda yarda yarda) There's just too much to deal with and I feel debilitated by it all. Yeh, this sounds very defeatist, I am aware.

Due to all the conflict of what I am 'meant' to be doing between all issues nutrition-wise I often end up doing the wrong thing as it would seem that nothing will ultimately work. It's complicated ! If anyone else relates to this and can constructively help (I will try to help too) find ways to realistically move forward, that would be a miracle....
Hi @waxing lyrical . Reading your opening post I picked up on the overwhelm. I have a number of health issues, I have a form of diabetes that doesn’t make sense to me, I have a serious eye condition that causes major problems like driving not being able to see properly and double vision; arthritis that’s wreaking havoc and is painful, a kidney issue and so on. And that’s just my health stuff. If I dwelt on it all I could quite quickly become overwhelmed. So I simplify stuff, I compartmentalize, so it all doesn’t crowd my mind at once, and then I end up looking like a deer in headlights and do nothing. So when I compartmentalize I focus on the stuff I have control over, look at the stuff I could control if I put my mind to it, and put the stuff on the back burner I have no control over. There is no point worrying about things that you can do nothing about, like meds that are not yet available. I make lists too, so that when I do something on the list I tick it off. That way I can see what I have done and achieved so I am not juggling the whole lot in my head At once. I guess all has nothing to do with diabetes, but we all live in a world that can be too much, not just medical, but life in general. I have used that same system when I worked in very stressful environments and it helped me cope and achieve.

On a different note, lots of members here will be able to advise you on different meds , the good the bad and the darn ugly. You will get support and not feel so alone with all this diabetes stuff. This is a great community with lots of support if you need it. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here who are only too willing to help and advice .

Mel

Thank you very much for your kind words and empathy. I am sorry you have much to deal with too. I also suffer with arthritis - it is extremely debilitating and I'm sorry you have to deal with it too amongst the other health issues. Not easy... You picked up on the overwhelm correctly.

I honestly hear everything you have said ( and it has been put to me before) about dealing with the stuff I have control over. I also make lists. For some reason, being pragmatic in the way you have described although is the best way forward- I am an all or nothing kind of person and I tend to try and deal with it all at the same time and like you say, it just doesn't work.

Thanks again for your support and description of the welcoming community here. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll chip in with a practical suggestion: Do you use a glucose meter to check your blood glucose before and after eating?
A meter is completely unbiased, has no hidden agenda, and simply tells you if the food you ate worked well with your diabetes or not.

Maybe this will help with moving forward, it's written by one of our members and I think it's very useful and not too complicated or overwhelming: https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html
Of course food choices depend on personal preference, and possibly on your other health conditions as well, we don't yet know what you can and like to eat.

I wish you all the best!