WHY do Diabetes UK sell cakes/ have sweet raffles in Tesco?

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I know that some people will say that they are just trying to raise money and if that's the easiest/best way of raising money then they should just do that. But it doesn't sit well with me. I think it risks damaging the reputation of the charity. We are constantly being told that being overweight and eating sugary junky **** raises your risk of getting diabetes. Plus, any diabetics who would like to support Diabetes UK may exclude themselves from donating in this way as they won't be able to enjoy the prize! (I know a little choc is ok but who'd have the willpower to resist a big hamper of chocs in their house? I wouldn't!) So there must be lots of diabetics in tesco who see it and walk by.
But for me it's more about the message - let's raise money for a condition that is partly diet related (not wholly, but partly) by selling a big hamper of sugary food or a load of cakes.

It's not even like I see them with a raffle for anything else - they could easily do, say a hamper of toiletries, or smelly candles, or just a general tombola-thing with a number of items, possibly a few food related. But it's always sweets and cakes .Why? In my local tesco I heard a customer laughing at the DUK table and saying 'this is hilarious, love it!' It's turning diabetes into a joke with the local population many of whom will only become aware of DUK through their ridiculous tables in tesco.

Does anyone else think its...rather inappropriate?

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup.

But then I think that a heck of a lot of DUK advice and info and charitable behaviour is very iffy. Based on outdated dietary advice, and largely funded by big pharmaceutical companies.

(If you doubt me, check out their website https://www.diabetes.org.uk/ )

When/if they get their act together, and stop suggesting T2s stuff carbs and medicate to control the damage, I then will happily support them. Until then, I can't, on principle, enter any of their fund raising activities.

Reactions: 15 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know that some people will say that they are just trying to raise money and if that's the easiest/best way of raising money then they should just do that. But it doesn't sit well with me. I think it risks damaging the reputation of the charity. We are constantly being told that being overweight and eating sugary junky **** raises your risk of getting diabetes. Plus, any diabetics who would like to support Diabetes UK may exclude themselves from donating in this way as they won't be able to enjoy the prize! (I know a little choc is ok but who'd have the willpower to resist a big hamper of chocs in their house? I wouldn't!) So there must be lots of diabetics in tesco who see it and walk by.
But for me it's more about the message - let's raise money for a condition that is partly diet related (not wholly, but partly) by selling a big hamper of sugary food or a load of cakes.

It's not even like I see them with a raffle for anything else - they could easily do, say a hamper of toiletries, or smelly candles, or just a general tombola-thing with a number of items, possibly a few food related. But it's always sweets and cakes .Why? In my local tesco I heard a customer laughing at the DUK table and saying 'this is hilarious, love it!' It's turning diabetes into a joke with the local population many of whom will only become aware of DUK through their ridiculous tables in tesco.

If you look at who DUK are in bed with, then they collaborated with TESCO on the recent diabetes advice book that they were able to give away to anyone requesting it. I read the book, and found it to be a reasonable unbiassed appraisal and not corrupted by commercial interests, I approve of this way of funding their charitable work.
Also they are in bed with the NHS on the latest diabetes prevention education project that uses Eatwell#2 plate for dietary advice. I support the effort, but do not support their message.

Now we see the candy crash saga in Tesco stores. I do not use Tesco myself, so was unaware of this. it does seem to be a contradiction, and would appear to corrupt the message as you point out in your post, Having said that, it was by stopping by one of their tables in a supermarket car park that led me to being diagnosed as T2D since they were offering free glucose testing. This was also a collaboration between DUK and a local commercial interest. So although I do not think their sugarmarket sweep is their best idea, i do not condemn ir since it does bring their work to the attention of the general public [who are not carb challenged, and who can be persuaded to make a donation as they pass.[

DUK has yet to catch up with us here on DCUK regarding LC diets. but otherwise they do provide support for the diabetic community in many ways, and do not receive governmenr funding. They have to prostitute themselves for the money. Its like the MacMillan stall in the local hospital outside the Oncology entrance, where the only leaflet they hand out is a 'How to make a donation' leaflet.

Have you written to them to complain?

Reactions: 4 people

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Was this DUK, or a local DUK support group?

The Support Groups are part of the volunteer structure but tend to run themselves on a month to month basis.
They will have DUK clothing and banners and table cloths but quite likely there is nobody employed by DUK there.
At public meetings my local support group provides free refreshments which are sugar and carbohydrate heavy.
I have mentioned this, but the response I have been given is more or less "People don't have to eat them if they don't want."
This kind of blinkered attitude makes me despair at times, but it does seem to reflect the inbuilt prejudices of many older T2s who can't seem to link diet with improving BG control (or at least, don't want to).

Partnering with Tesco is a good thing on the fund raising front; however DUK policy seems to be trailing behind current medical knowledge. All very difficult when there is no obvious alternative charity to promote the needs of diabetics.

Most of the staff at DUK are (as far as I can tell) not diabetic - they are just professional (charity) workers who happen to work for DUK this year. This means that they don't necessarily really feel the day to day concerns that diabetics live with and rely mainly on received wisdom from the NHS and NICE. With which we may not always agree.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
If you look at who DUK are in bed with, then they collaborated with TESCO on the recent diabetes advice book that they were able to give away to anyone requesting it. I read the book, and found it to be a reasonable unbiassed appraisal and not corrupted by commercial interests, I approve of this way of funding their charitable work.
Also they are in bed with the NHS on the latest diabetes prevention education projecr that uses Eatwell#2 plate for dietary advice. I support the effort, but do not support their message.

Now we see the candy crash saga in Tesco stores. I do not use Tesco myself, so was unaware of this. it does seem to be a contradiction, and would appear to corrupt the message as you point out in your post, Having said that, it was by stopping by one of their tables in a supermarket car park that led me to being diagnosed as T2D since they were offering free glucose testing. This was also a collaboration between DUK and a local commercial interest. So although I do not think their sugarmarket sweep is not their best idea, i do not condemn ir since it does bring their work to the attention of the general public [who are not carb challenged, and who can be persuaded to make a donation as they pass.[

DUK has yet to catch up with us here on DCUK regarding LC diets. but otherwise they do provide support for the diabetic community in many ways, and do not receive governmenr funding. They have to prostitute themselves for the money. Its like the MacMillan stall in the local hospital outside the Oncology entrance, where the only leaflet they hand out is a 'How to make a donation' leaflet.

Now you mention that they do testing, I finally get it... they are doing Glucose Tolerance Tests!!!

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Also they are in bed with the NHS on the latest diabetes prevention education project that uses Eatwell#2 plate for dietary advice. I support the effort, but do not support their message.

Now we see the candy crash saga in Tesco stores. I do not use Tesco myself, so was unaware of this. it does seem to be a contradiction, and would appear to corrupt the message as you point out in your post, Having said that, it was by stopping by one of their tables in a supermarket car park that led me to being diagnosed as T2D since they were offering free glucose testing. This was also a collaboration between DUK and a local commercial interest. So although I do not think their sugarmarket sweep is their best idea, i do not condemn ir since it does bring their work to the attention of the general public [who are not carb challenged, and who can be persuaded to make a donation as they pass.[

I work for another charity, and one of my employees took a role with DUK so before she left I made sure to tell her what I really think - she works in a fundraising/partnerships role, hopefully she will pass it on. She may even be working on the Tesco partnership team.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, ridiculous. I cancelled my DUK Direct Debit last week as I have been so incensed by their daft advice on diet etc over the years. The website when I last looked was supporting the new Eatwell(unwell?) Guide. They have yet to recognise LADA and insist on just T1 and T2 with nothing in between. I sometimes wonder how much contact the office has with actual diabetics. As for Tesco, the stores remain full of stuff loaded with sugar.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It depends on your point of view.
There is 95% of the UK population who is none diabetic.

So, you can either have a raffle aimed at the 95%, or aim at the other 5%, and have a hamper full of cabbage, sprouts, and cauliflower, or whatever else is on the self there. (Bearing in mind not every diabetic is low carb, and wouldn't all enter)

And it's a bit self serving to donate to your own charity anyway, I tend to donate to others, not myself.
And the fact I don't eat certain food groups, doesn't mean others shouldn't eat it.
Like everything, moderation is required, not abstinence.
So, if I was there, I'd probably be more inclined to enter, and sort out my easter eggs/birthday/halloween/ christmas treats for the year anyway.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
SunnyExpat I work for a charity and we have tombolas which are a mixture of all sorts of things - sweets, toiletries, books. Part of the fun is not knowing what you're going to get! Never seen one with cabbages in though!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A few months ago, I attended a lock DUK meeting where we had a presentation by the local DUK partnership and fundraising person.

During the Q&A/feedback slot I asked what influence they had on their environment during campaign and fundraising events in local stores. Having clarified that I thought in the immediate entrance was a great place to be (hard to miss or avoid, depending on your standpoint), but more the usually adjacent mountains of chocolate, biscuits or fizzy drinks on offer that week.

Whilst we then had the "not everyone moderates their diet, but prefer to bolus appropriately", I explained that for 90% of the UK's diabetic population, being T2, and the vast majority of that not being MDI insulin dependent, those were not always healthy options for a happy, healthy, long-term outcome.

She then suggested that to be honest, Tesco pretty much do their own thing, with their charity being a very small adjunct to their activities (I get that completely), and DUK simply have to fit in with whatever is going on, often nationally, on any given day. I can also see that. I understand that product placement isn't a local option, it is decreed from high above, with store plans needing to remain compliant with that instruction.

On the topic of raffle prizes and the like, I see that a mixed hamper or an Easter egg, at Easter is going to be more popular than a nice joint of beef or a mega turkey.

It's very far from ideal, but my impression is if they want the Tesco money (some of which is of course being used to support Professor Taylor's Newcastle/Glasgow wider, longer study), then that's the price they must pay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

the_anticarb

Dislikes
I am going to try and contact the former employee who went off to work for DUK's partnership team, if I can do so I'll post any response here.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A few months ago, I attended a lock DUK meeting where we had a presentation by the local DUK partnership and fundraising person.

During the Q&A/feedback slot I asked what influence they had on their environment during campaign and fundraising events in local stores. Having clarified that I thought in the immediate entrance was a great place to be (hard to miss or avoid, depending on your standpoint), but more the usually adjacent mountains of chocolate, biscuits or fizzy drinks on off that week.

Whilst we then had the "not everyone moderates their diet, but prefer to bolus appropriately", I explained that for 90% of the UK's diabetic population, being T2, and the vast majority of that not being MDI insulin dependent, those were not always healthy options for a happy, healthy, long-term outcome.

She then suggested that to be honest, Tesco pretty much do their own thing, with their charity being a very small adjunct to their activities (I get that completely), and DUK simply have to fit in with whatever is going on, often nationally, on any given day. I can also see that. I understand that product placement isn't a local option, it is decreed from high above, with store plans needing to remain compliant with that instruction.

On the topic of raffle prizes and the like, I see that a mixed hamper of an Easter egg, at Easter is going to be more popular than a nice joint of beef or a mega turkey.

It's very far from ideal, but my impression is if they want the Tesco money (some of which is of course being used to support Professor Taylor's Newcastle/Glasgow wider, longer study), then that's the price they must pay.

Again though, why cut out a part of the population
About 2% of the UK are vegetarian.
Even more don't eat red meat.

And while we are fortunate, a part of the population would have no interest in a joint of beef, or even worse a mega turkey they can't actually keep anywhere, or possibly get into their terraced house's oven, or fridge freezer afterwards. (They won't like cabbage either normally)
So you're trading hard cash, against a luxury meal. Which many can't afford to do.
The customer may not be wise, but Tesco are experts at extracting money from them.
And while we like it or not, the majority of people buy sweets, if not for themselves, for someone else.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
SunnyExpat I work for a charity and we have tombolas which are a mixture of all sorts of things - sweets, toiletries, books. Part of the fun is not knowing what you're going to get! Never seen one with cabbages in though!

The best part of the fun is getting the first ticket out though, if it's the type where you get to choose anyway, so you can get first choice of the prize.
There's never any decent chocolate left at the end.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
For context, who would support Cancer Research raffling cigarettes because a lot of people smoke and they are a good fund raiser?

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For context, who would support Cancer Research raffling cigarettes because a lot of people smoke and they are a good fund raiser?

People who smoke?
So, I guess in context, you're arguing we should be buying tickets, but no one else should?
Would it help if they raffle only 85% dark chocolate?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This argument has come up a number of times, and we always end up going round in circles. The question comes back to the same point. What is the purpose of the raffle? Is it to raise money for Diabetes UK or is it to educate people?

As has already been mentioned, the majority of the UK population is not diabetic in any type, so if your answer to the question is "to raise money" then you raffle what gets cash in for tickets. If your answer is "To educate people" then I'd suggest that having a stall that educated rather than ran a raffle would be more appropriate and far less visited.

In the meantime, you have something that raises money and allows some level of education. The aim after all, is to get non-Ds to put money into the charity. In order to do that, it's them you have to attract, not us.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Make people aware of diabetes, yes and this has been on the forum before, with many, but not all, complaining about the 'sweet content' of raffles, especially as diabetes type 2 is an epidemic and is so often in the media.
I find it quite farcical, surely there must be other alternatives? possibly gift vouchers, book tokens, a session in the Gym, money off vouchers for in store goods in a local Tesco branch ??

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As an ex smoker, this would have attracted my attention. However, it would depend on which brand was being raffled. If the Price is Right.... I would have had no qualms about that. Again, a prize like this would have limited appeal in terms of cachment area, so why would they reduce potential income. Hence the choccies.

As an additional note, companies often use charity activity as a tax break, and as a 'bums through the door' attraction.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Make people aware of diabetes, yes and this has been on the forum before, with many, but not all, complaining about the 'sweet content' of raffles, especially as diabetes type 2 is an epidemic and is so often in the media.
I find it quite farcical, surely there must be other alternatives? possibly gift vouchers, book tokens, a session in the Gym, money off vouchers for in store goods in a local Tesco branch ??

I don't feel a gym session is as appealing as a chocolate orange.
Gift vouchers possibly, but we all know they'll go on chocolate/alcohol/tobacco/take away food. ;)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I don't feel a gym session is as appealing as a chocolate orange.
Gift vouchers possibly, but we all know they'll go on chocolate/alcohol/tobacco/take away food. ;)

I don't go to the Gym, but it would appeal to some.........................