Why do i take so much insulin?

Fetchmeacoffee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
busybodies
Hi everyone. A little background about me in hope for some answers. I was diagnosed at 21 8years ago as type one. Was put straight on to insulin and have been using lantus and novorapid. Since diagnosis i have put on a lot of weight and take more insulin. I had a c peptide test at the hospital and apparently my c peptide is that of a normal person but showing anti bodies as a type one would. I take about 100 units of lantus a day and carb count my novorapid so between 20/30 units a day. Im worried sick and still waiting for the hospital to get back to me regarding all this malarky. I know im deff not type two, but why am i so insulin resistant? I always feel tired, depressed and moody and this is taking over my life, i dont know what to do anymore. Please somebody put my mind at ease and tell me that there is hope for me to take less insulin, feel less tired and sick and get back to some kind of normality

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi.

Do you eat a lot of carbs? If you reduce them this will reduce the amount of insulin you have to take. This doesn't have to be completely eliminating them, but it sounds like some people on here have found even reducing them to around 100g a day can be really helpful.

Also if you don't already then exercise may help as this reduces the amount of insulin I need to take for 12-24 hours.

You could enquire about taking metformin. I believe some type 1s take this to increase their insulin sensitivity. However I don't and unfortunately I don't know much about metformin so hopefully someone else can tell you more.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi everyone. A little background about me in hope for some answers. I was diagnosed at 21 8years ago as type one. Was put straight on to insulin and have been using lantus and novorapid. Since diagnosis i have put on a lot of weight and take more insulin. I had a c peptide test at the hospital and apparently my c peptide is that of a normal person but showing anti bodies as a type one would. I take about 100 units of lantus a day and carb count my novorapid so between 20/30 units a day. Im worried sick and still waiting for the hospital to get back to me regarding all this malarky. I know im deff not type two, but why am i so insulin resistant? I always feel tired, depressed and moody and this is taking over my life, i dont know what to do anymore. Please somebody put my mind at ease and tell me that there is hope for me to take less insulin, feel less tired and sick and get back to some kind of normality

Some people have a problem with certain insulin's, it might just be a case of Lantus is the wrong one for you.
Have you tried a different basal?

Reactions: 2 people

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.

If you want us to offer our opinions you should probably give us info on your height, weight, daily macronutrients in grams, work/exercise etc.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am T1 but also have insulin resistance and therefore need a higher dose of insulin. My doses in recent years have come down for various reasons but at one point I was taking 80+ units of Lantus every day and 2u of humalog for every 10g of carbs..... so you're not alone in this.

Others have mentioned metformin, which can help, and losing weight too. The more insulin you take the more likely you are to put on weight. If you're able to reduce your insulin intake then you're much more likely to lose weight and as you lose weight you'll need less and less insulin. (this is very simplified and is also presuming you are overweight!) I don't actually know if you can be 'normal/healthy' weight and also have insulin resistance - maybe someone else can enlighten me on that one.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As others have said, it looks like you may be having to many carbs in your diet. Try to keep them below 200gm/day and preferably 150 or below. You can still have protein, veg and some fats to have enough nutrients and calories. AS the weight comes down so will the need for insulin so watch out for hypos

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The C-Peptide test in the normal range, with antibodies present, is hard to explain, and makes you unusual. I would say (amateur opinion) that it's very unclear if you are T1 or T2. Generally only T2 would have normal C Peptide, and T2 might also have antibodies, though typically wouldn't.

If you are T1 and particularly if you are T1 and insulin resistant then you are stuck in a feedback loop of insulin - > more weight & more insulin resistance - > more insulin. You need to lower total insulin intake gradually at the same time as reducing carbs.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
What is your total basal amount pee day and an average of your total bolus per day? They should be near the 50/50 mark or 40/60.

You don't say whether you are achieving good bg levels with the regime that you follow....

If you are too large then it is reasonable to consider that is a reason for my insulin....and the more you shrink in size then your insulin needs are likely to reduce too.

I think you know the reasons for you needing more insulin....