Why do some type two's have to monitor.

JimRoden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All,
As above why do some people with type 2 have to monitor? I got diagnosed last year and am on 4 x 500 per day and have never been told that I have to monitor my bloods. I have reduced my levels from 120 to 39 was my last result from the doctor.

Jim

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi JimRoden, I am Type 2 was diagnosed in Jan this year with a reading then at 19.3. My doc put me on Metformin 500mg 1 daily after first week 2 daily and gave me a meter to test, 2hrs before and after meals to see what does and does not affect me in the way of BG levels. Good on you for reducing your levels. What do you eat ? are you on a diet or have you reduced your portion sizes if you don't mind me asking. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I would've thought every diabetic type needs to monitor. The reason for it is to make sure you're keeping your BGLs in normal range. I test 4-5 times a day, on a bad day a lot more.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of doctors discourage testing for T2s, unless they are on strong meds.
But it is because the nhs cannot afford to provide the kit.
Those of us who self fund and use the info that get from testing, usually see a significant improvement in our hba1c results.

Reactions: 3 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I should add when I was first diagnosed I was told to only test twice a week. If I had my time again I wouldn't follow that advice as it says nothing at all about how food impacts on your sugar levels, or anything else for that matter.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Only through testing did I learn which foods are good for me. The important thing is different foods affect everyone differently. If you want to manage your diabetes I think it's essential to figure out a diet hat works for you - for me that's LCHF, others eat carbs and maintain good health.

Search for the SD Codefree (I think that is the name) if you want to self test - the strips are the most reasonably priced.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @JimRoden

Congratulations on the improvement you have made

I can't believe that the advice to someone who is taking medication every day is not to measure the impact of that. What is your blood sugar level now? Perhaps it is low enough that you should be going back to the Doctor to reduce your meds? Perhaps it is high enough that you should be seeking assistance now? The point I suppose is that you should be in control and be able to know what is happening with your blood sugar now. I believe every Type 2 should be selftesting

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I should add when I was first diagnosed I was told to only test twice a week. If I had my time again I wouldn't follow that advice as it says nothing at all about how food impacts on your sugar levels, or anything else for that matter.
@Mep I agree. I wouldnt be so insulin resistant if i knew how it all works like i do now. I feel let down. 14yrs of ignorance hasnt helped.

Reactions: 3 people