Why Do They Ask About Depression?

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
What is the relationship between depression and diabetes? I ask, because at my clinic appointment they asked if I had any signs of depression.

M.Diriye

Hi,

I personally think it's a bit of a complex relationship. It's not just diabetes though, a lot of other conditions may also be seen to have a relationship with depression. It's influenced by a lot of things too, like those around you, how your health officials deal with you & how as an individual you approach the condition & what your perspective on it is.

Riesenburg

Dislikes
Doctors who know less about diabetes and endocrinology than their patients.
Hi Fencer,

There's a relationship in between serotonin (in layman's terms the brain neurotransmitter which makes you happy and upbeat) and glucose. I do not know all the details but seeing as those are linked and we have trouble with glucose metabolism it would effect our serotonin as well.

But looking beyond the brain biochemistry just dealing with diabetes itself can put massive strain on you. Having to constantly worry about sugar levels, insulin doses, exercising, eating the right foods at the right times, our sleep patterns, possible complications on top of managing normal life can be somewhat of a burden. Let us not forget the other quirks such as mood swings when hypo-hypers occur, the effects stress has on sugar levels... with all that it is pretty likely that at some point during our diabetes we just feel like giving up and it simply not being worth the effort, goodness knows I have had more than my fair share of those days.

Hope that helps explain it a little.
Frankie