Why Do We Get Diabetes?

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
I know all this has probably been discussed before, but after reading a few posts today about weight being involved, genetics, and diet etc, I realise more and more that there is no rhyme and reason to diabetes.

Take this example:

Me - quite thin, was active, ate a healthy diet I thought, with only an occasional treat. My waist is 29 inches. I don't drink alcohol either.
Hubby - a tad overweight ( about 2 stones), non active - uses car for everything, walks nowhere, couch potato really. Eats tons of sweet foods, carbs etc. Loves a four pack of lager once a week.

So why me and not him? His waist is about 40 inches and I have been reading that large middle girth is often a pointer for docs to be suspicious. I have NEVER had a large girth unless I was pregnant!

He actually is doing all the things that I have read we have to change in order not to become diabetic. I was already doing them but told prediabetic anyway.

Neither of us have any diabetes in the family that we know of.

This isn't a moan but I am STILL scratching my head and more so when I look at my husband's lifestyle.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Nature has a habit on picking on somebody out of the blue. And there is an endless list of why somebody gets this and somebody doesn't!
The plague left under 20% of the European free of it no matter how or why!

My father in law is an alcoholic, he still drinks despite getting warned it will kill him, he ignores them! His liver is fine, he still getting around after 60 years of him abusing his body with alcohol.
The wife hasn't had a alcoholic drink for over 30 years, she has been told that she like me has a fatty liver and needs to be careful!

That's life!

Reactions: 4 people

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Well, he had some routine bloods done about 6 months ago and I have no idea if BG was tested. What I am saying is, he is actually the picture of someone you wouldn't be surprised if he got diabetes. But I am beginning to finally believe that there is no clear picture.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hi I dont know why Im diabetic either.as I am 10st and 5ft 6ins tall,I would never have known if we hadnt moved house and changed doctors and had a routine blood test.
I did suffer Legionaires two years ago after a visit to Ejypt that put me in hospital for three months,and I was fortunate to live,and I do wonder if my diabetes came from that.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday another post (sorry that I can't remember by whom) quoted Jenny Ruhl who says that diabetes is a symptom, not a cause. It was a welcome reminder for me. :)

Basically, type 1s don't produce insulin. Type 2 don't produce enough. That's very simplified.

But what causes the insulin deficiency? Fatty liver? Large body mass? Immune problems following a virus? Toxic chemical exposure? Medical drugs (also toxic)? Complication from another problem or disease? Trauma (physical or emotional)? Grief? Organ deterioration through age? Diet? Lifestyle? Genetics?

I'll bet there is at least one person reading this who fits each of those causes.

The whole fatty liver/cure yourself through weight loss is very much in the public eye. That is wonderful for everyone who is able to sort their diabetes out using this method.

Not so great for the rest of us - because it will be even more our fault now, won't it? According to public perception, not only did we cause our diabetes by over eating in the first place, now we are also too weak willed to starve ourselves to a skinny liver.

Rant over. ;)

Reactions: 16 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yesterday another post (sorry that I can't remember by whom) quoted Jenny Ruhl who says that diabetes is a symptom, not a cause. It was a welcome reminder for me. :)

Basically, type 1s don't produce insulin. Type 2 don't produce enough. That's very simplified.

But what causes the insulin deficiency? Fatty liver? Large body mass? Immune problems following a virus? Toxic chemical exposure? Medical drugs (also toxic)? Complication from another problem or disease? Trauma (physical or emotional)? Grief? Organ deterioration through age? Diet? Lifestyle? Genetics?

I'll bet there is at least one person reading this who fits each of those causes.

The whole fatty liver/cure yourself through weight loss is very much in the public eye. That is wonderful for everyone who is able to sort their diabetes out using this method.

Not so great for the rest of us - because it will be even more our fault now, won't it? According to public perception, not only did we cause our diabetes by over eating in the first place, now we are also too weak willed to starve ourselves to a skinny liver.

Rant over. ;)
Have your heard of the theory that diabetes is a disease of the liver not the pancreas?

Reactions: 3 people

Nicko2K

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well to add my experience to the mix my diabetes diagnosis was far to close to me giving up smoking. Almost a direct reaction. Makes me extremely suspicious! I think it had something to do with me either giving up, or starting the new ecig.. :-/

Type 1 Diabetic: (Novorapid/Levemir) Diagnosed 2014: Extremely handsome: Always smiling :)

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i,m overweight and type2 and my nephew is fit and the correct weight and is type2 as well

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
See, if the cause is not clear, and the picture painted by the NHS is blurred when it comes to who's at risk, who can truly prevent themselves from getting diabetes where lifestyle is concerned? Most of the advice is 'eat healthily', and exercise.

I was already doing that! Where does that leave me where the NHS is concerned because I have no weight to lose, in fact I am trying to gain weight! Because I don't fit their picture, I also do not fit their plan of action.

I am about to watch a programme on channel 4 called The Word's Best Diet. Hmm...this should be good. :)

Reactions: 5 people

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well to add my experience to the mix my diabetes diagnosis was far to close to me giving up smoking. Almost a direct reaction. Makes me extremely suspicious! I think it had something to do with me either giving up, or starting the new ecig.. :-/

That's interesting as though I gave up smoking 24 years ago, I started having health problems straight away with my stomach and then weight. Of course when I stopped smoking my metabolism slowed down and so though I ate the same I gained weight. However, it's all mixed up with the metabolism being out of kilter. So maybe smoking, or stopping, did have a run on effect. I guess I'll never know.

However, I will say this. None of us chose to be fat or diabetic and if we were able to we would have changed. Fat people (and I'm one) don't want to be fat. If it was simply my will I'd have been a rake again years ago.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have your heard of the theory that diabetes is a disease of the liver not the pancreas?

Well, insulin producing beta cells live in the pancreas, so if they pack up, then there is 'disease of the pancreas'. And I should imagine that they pack up for many reasons!

But I must admit that my knowledge of human biology is from an A level (centuries ago), reading diet books such as Montignac, Atkins and Dukan, this forum, and casually acquired general knowledge - I certainly am not qualified to spout forth on the science side. :)

(Not that ignorance has ever stopped me from spouting forth on anything and everything ever before!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I gave up smoking, 1st May. 2001, diagnosed T2 1st October, 2009.
Well, insulin producing beta cells live in the pancreas, so if they pack up, then there is 'disease of the pancreas'. And I should imagine that they pack up for many reasons!

But I must admit that my knowledge of human biology is from an A level (centuries ago), reading diet books such as Montignac, Atkins and Dukan, this forum, and casually acquired general knowledge - I certainly am not qualified to spout forth on the science side. :)
ok then, isn't the production of these cells, and glucagon, that have a direct correlation between the liver and pancreas?

If these are not produced sufficiently for the pancreas to produce enough Insulin isn't that what certain types of diabetes claim to be.So if that is the case, it is the liver!

My knowledge isn't as good as yours, because I didn't get that in depth biology at school!

This is just a theory of what certain doctors have said to me and what I've read!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
However, I will say this. None of us chose to be fat or diabetic and if we were able to we would have changed. Fat people (and I'm one) don't want to be fat. If it was simply my will I'd have been a rake again years ago.

Yes.
Willpower isn't IMHO worth the toilet paper it is written on!
And things that never seems to be factored in when these very low calorie diets are discussed are:
  • Rapid weight loss brings a high risk of rebound weight gain
  • Yoyo diets have been associated with metabolic syndrome (which involves insulin resistance)
And, most importantly
  • Why are type 2s often fat in the first place? Often the weight gain comes after they start having insulin/metabolic/glucose problems
So, once again, were back to diabetes being a symptom, not the cause...

Reactions: 6 people

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
I deserved it! I was following NHS guidelines on healthy eating. I should have known better!

Reactions: 8 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is mainly about genes. There are lots of genes that can cause diabetes, and the more of them you have the likelier it is you develop it. If you on top of that also have insulin resistance of course it doesn't help, but insulin resistance isn't a requirement for diabetes. So you can get some diabetic genes from both parents who themselves didn't have developed it. And I wouldnt be surprised to hear of chemicals or pollutants that affect the pancreas/genes too as a cause.

I for example have no trace of fatty liver, normal weight, excellent cholesterol breakdown and low blood pressure. But I also have diabetes. I find it hard to be taken seriously by HCP because of this and add a (now) normal HbA1c they tend to overlook the fact that I am indeed diabetic.

Reactions: 9 people