why does infection aggrevate diabetes

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
I have had one toe removed now got a toe ulcer with infection, they said infection aggregates sugars and the sugar aggregates infection
Why

Diabetes is a complex group of diseases with a variety of causes. People with diabetes have high blood glucose, also called high blood sugar or hyperglycemia.

Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism—the way the body uses digested food for energy. The digestive tract breaks down carbohydrates—sugars and starches found in many foods—into glucose, a form of sugar that enters the bloodstream. With the help of the hormone insulin, cells throughout the body absorb glucose and use it for energy. Diabetes develops when the body doesn’t make enough insulin or is not able to use insulin effectively, or both.

Insulin is made in the pancreas, an organ located behind the stomach. The pancreas contains clusters of cells called islets. Beta cells within the islets make insulin and release it into the blood.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
destiny0321 said:
I have had one toe removed now got a toe ulcer with infection, they said infection aggregates sugars and the sugar aggregates infection
Why

Hello destiny0321
Infections 'love' sugar they 'feed' off it .
It can speed things up and widens the area of infection too .
Making healing harder and take longer .
So the lower these can be kept the less they can munch on .

Infections can 'raise' the blood sugar levels too .
So it can be a vicious circle and harder to get them down as one thing escalates the other :crazy:

Anna.

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.