1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Why does my Hba1c keep remaining at 31?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by KittyKatty, Dec 5, 2015.

1. KittyKatty

KittyKatty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

For the past year, spanning 3 hba1c tests, my count has been 31, which is "normal".

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted to have things under control. But surely you couldn't design your reading to be so static if you tried. It hasn't veered from 31. So I'm guessing that Hba1c readings are "round-up" numbers rather than completely precise ones?

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Just means that your consistent in how you control your diabetes, well done :)

3. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Well done. I'm surprised your GP tests you every 3/6 months. When I went down from 49 to 44 on my first 3 month test my GP said I didn't need to be tested for another 12 months.

4. Hiitsme

Hiitsme Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Amazing. Well done.

5. Omnipod

Omnipod Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thats bad of your GP. No matter what your HBA1C, it should be done at least every 6 months at a minimum.

6. andcol

andcol I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

really.... I had one on diagnosis and then 3 months later then 9 months (ie yearly anniversary) and yearly since.

7. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

Well done @KittyKatty that's impressive. :)

I only have HbA1c tests annually too, even though I asked for an extra one in between once I didn't get one.

8. Omnipod

Omnipod Type 1 · Well-Known Member

How did you drop from 97 in june 14 to 31? Thats incredible. well done. I wish I could hit 31. What is your average BG?

9. KittyKatty

KittyKatty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

-------------------

I was on Metformin for the first 6 months of diagnosis until I made the decision to go it alone. Plus I went to eating very low carbs. I lost lots of weight and have thankfully kept it off. That's all I know! But the thing is, however low hba1c is, it's only as low as the meals you eat. I don't eat bread, potatoes, rice or pasta. No cakes, biscuits or chocolate. I'm sure if I started my traditional scoffing again I would be up the proverbial creek again. I cook from scratch, just eat meat, vegetables, butter and cheese. An hour after eating I get up and move about to lower the effects of the blood sugar (it works)

I haven't tested my bloods before or after meals for about 3 months now. I did it religiously and expensively at first, just to acquaint myself with what spiked my blood. I'm a little bit more relaxed now but I think all newly diagnosed should test like crazy to find out what their body can take.

• Like Like x 7
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook