why does not many physicians and American Diabetes Association endorse ketogenic diet for type 1 ?

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
why does not many physicians and American Diabetes Association endorse ketogenic diet for type 1 ? are there any specific reasons ?

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
look at who sponsors the American Diabetes Association. seriously the top ones areall drug companies
here is the american medical associations sponsors
Meet Our Corporate Roundtable
The AMA Foundation thanks the following companies for supporting community health and medical education programs.

Platinum Level
Thank you to our corporate sponsor Pfizer.

logo-pfizer.png

Thank you to our corporate sponsor Purdue.

logo-purdue-foundation.png

GOLD LEVEL SPONSORS
Amgen
Johnson & Johnson
McKesson
PhRMA
SILVER LEVEL SPONSORS
AbbVie
Boehringer Ingelheim
Bristol-Myers Squibb
Eli Lilly
Genentech
GlaxoSmithKline
Henry Schein
Merck & Co. Inc.
Novartis
Novo Nordisk, Inc.

there main supporters are all drug companies. now why wouldthey not support adiet that reduces the need for drugs. i just cant guess

Reactions: Looudus and dbr10

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I kind of agree with above - Keto is still a relatively 'new' style of diet and its note fully understood and agreed upon. Plus its easier for doctors to just prescribe you medication, it keeps the gears oiled.

If you want to do keto, you should give it a shot. If you're numbers all work out and your fit and healthy and happy most doctors will just leave you alone and not tell you to change.

Proto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think it also has something to do with diet restriction. I understand how people feel about pharmaceutical companies but if you remove that and remember your diagnosis.

When I was diagnosed a lot of info was being thrown on me, I had to track what I eat and test and inject etc. But the one thing I remember was that after the first month I was allowed to eat what everyone else was eating. Day to day I could go out and eat what I wanted with my family and friends.

If a doctor had suggested keto I would have taken that as part the only treatment and I feel I would have resented the condition a hell of a lot more as it had taken food away from me and made me more different than I already am.

Food can be a really important part of peoples lives and a doctor telling people the should switch to a more restrictive diet when they might not have to just makes it worse.

Its good that keto works for people but not for everyone and if it gives you better control then thats great but you also have to be a lot more educated about nutrition to make sure you're doing it right, something which a doctor would find difficult to monitor if they endorsed it and something went wrong.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In addition to the above keto is not in the 'standard of care' within which US doctors can feel safe from litigation for the reasons described above. The other elephant in the room is that by its nature its a high fat diet and there has long been an established view that fat is bad either because it is calorie dense and/or artery clogging if saturated. Keto is part of the low carb spectrum though and there is more and more evidence that reducing carbs is better for type 2s even if you don't choose to go to the extreme end. Unfortunately this conflicts with big food and big pharma and the medical orthodoxy who all have dogs in the fight in that they profit from a) causing diaobesity in the first place via high carb/sugar produce b)curing some of its symptoms but never its root cause c) defending the advice to eat low fat, high carb of the past 40 years even if that advice has correlated with increasing rates of disease.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
In addition to the above keto is not in the 'standard of care' within which US doctors can feel safe from litigation .
There used to be a saying when buying computers for a company; "No one ever gets sacked for buying IBM". I think people will go for the safest option to keep their jobs whatever the evidence for possible alternatives.