Type 1 why is my blood sugar dropping throughout the day with no insulin injections

Kwisj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi my question is this? To lose weight I have been following the Michael Mosley Fast Diet for the past year: it has worked spectacularly. I have lost over 2 stone https://thefastdiet.co.uk/ It has been a bit difficult being a type 1 diabetic but it has certainly been doable. The diet involves fasting for two days a week. On those days I only eat 600 calories.
Through trial and error I have my last insulin injection at around 9 pm the previous day, when I have my evening meal. My regimen is the following: 38 units of toujeo/glargine long lasting insulin which I take at 8:30 am and then I use short acting humalog when I eat.
So what has been happening on my fasting days is that I have been recently having hypos all day....but I don't inject any insulin. The toujeo insuling supposedly lasts for 24 hours which I guess means it stops working around 8 am on my fasting day. So I don't really know why I have hypos throughout the fasting day, like today...all day. I guess there must be some residual insulin around my body, but surely not enough to provoke a hypo.
So today I had break fast of coffee and toast...my sugar went up to 120 mg/dL (6.7 mmol/L) and then several times during the afternoon it dropped back to 50 mg/dL (2.8 mmol/L) But I have not injected any insulin today, or done any exercise. Has anybody got any clue what might be going on, or has anyone got a similar experience?
thanx for reading
Kwisj

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi my question is this? To lose weight I have been following the Michael Mosley Fast Diet for the past year: it has worked spectacularly. I have lost over 2 stone https://thefastdiet.co.uk/ It has been a bit difficult being a type 1 diabetic but it has certainly been doable. The diet involves fasting for two days a week. On those days I only eat 600 calories.
Through trial and error I have my last insulin injection at around 9 pm the previous day, when I have my evening meal. My regimen is the following: 38 units of toujeo/glargine long lasting insulin which I take at 8:30 am and then I use short acting humalog when I eat.
So what has been happening on my fasting days is that I have been recently having hypos all day....but I don't inject any insulin. The toujeo insuling supposedly lasts for 24 hours which I guess means it stops working around 8 am on my fasting day. So I don't really know why I have hypos throughout the fasting day, like today...all day. I guess there must be some residual insulin around my body, but surely not enough to provoke a hypo.
So today I had break fast of coffee and toast...my sugar went up to 120 mg/dL (6.7 mmol/L) and then several times during the afternoon it dropped back to 50 mg/dL (2.8 mmol/L) But I have not injected any insulin today, or done any exercise. Has anybody got any clue what might be going on, or has anyone got a similar experience?
thanx for reading
Kwisj

Kwisj - I'm not T1 or on insulin so couldn't comment with any certainty or personal experience on your situation, but my post will bump your thread to the top of the Recent Posts list, and hopefully bring it to someone with more insight's attention.

I hope things settle favourably for you.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It could be the remaining action of the Toujeo possibly @Kwisj

How long have you been diagnosed?

Vamppir8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not eat for 2 days!? Why don't you low carb? It's all about the carbs, I've lost 2 stone in 2 months, no longer see saw up and down. Bacon eggs for breakfast, meat and veg and fruit dinner 20g carbs, salad home made yogurt with nuts berries 20g, and nuts and 2 squares 100% coca chocolate 5g. Don't feel hungry as running on protein. Inject 5 units a day, used to inject 40 odd and hypo 2 or 3 times a day.