Why lo-carb has to be hi-fat

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I really enjoyed that read. At one point it mentions a diet that consists of 70% fat! I'd like to try it - but how do you get that much fat into your diet???

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I see the author of the article was John Yudkin. He was an interesting guy, he founded the nutrition department at Queen Elizabeth College in London and wrote a very successful book on the subject called 'This Slimming Business'. He was a staunch advocate of very low carb diets back in the 50's.

He also took Ancel Keys on in the argument about whether dietary fat caused heart disease. He was right and Keys was wrong, but the consensus (and the funding) was with Keys. Yudkin was ostracised, as of course was Robert Atkins who followed similar principles a few decades later.

All the best,

fergus

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Patch said:
I really enjoyed that read. At one point it mentions a diet that consists of 70% fat! I'd like to try it - but how do you get that much fat into your diet???

I shudder to think!!I just can't eat a lot of fat so I am one of these low carb low fat oddities ,not through choice but necessity! I used to love pork crackling and bacon fat sandwiches!!Alas those days are but a distant ,mouth-watering memory.

sixfoot

Ive got a bit of a mental stumble on here, I have accepted the Lo Carb mantra and it has done what it says on the tin for me. A loyal subject i remain. From what ive just read it would appear that the amount of Protien should be lower too due to its conversion rate to glucose of approx 58%. Although i now eat more veg than i used to i have always liked meat / protien and it is a large part of any meal.
( sound of cogs turning very slowly ) it therefore dawns on me that my protien intake may actually be the reason i keep hitting a wieghtloss wall. I E if i cut down to 1 slice of ham and some nice creamy coleslaw things might actually take of again.
its what im going to try for a while and see what gives

HO HUM
Dave P

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Eating more fat definitely makes you burn more fat when you're lo-carbing. But how do you get that much fat into your diet?

sixfoot

Well from my take on lo carb its not about getting that much in your diet, more you eat till you are full which lo carb isnt anywhere near what i used to scoff. So my thinking is that by reducing the amount of protien you automatically increase the ratio of Fats for the content of the meal. Which is why the creamy coleslaw as i love the stuff even tho not a natural veggie.

Dave P

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi patch
The answer to your question is: to quote Wallace ( and Grommet) "Cheese!"
Also bacon. and cook with Butter and lard.
How about belly pork for dinner?
ultra slow baked in the oven, you get tasty meat,and delicious crackling and it doesn't cost much, because so many deluded pople think the fat is bad for you.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Belly of Pork? Great tip! I do love a bit of Belly... I already cook in butter, and bacon I can definitely get more off!

sixfoot

Patch !!! there does seem to be something in what you were saying !!! yesterday i cut my protien by approx half and wieghed this am and just under 2lbs gone. They werent big meals but i was eating until i felt full and satisfied.

My dilema now if this is the case is that i only want to lose another 3lbs or so. But if true its cross ill have to bear i suppose :D

Live the life
Dave P

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not the protein that makes you feel full (satiated), it's the fat. For dinner some nights I just have 2 slices of ham rolled around a nice lump of cream cheese with some coleslaw.

I still can't get my head around how little I am actaully eating, and the fact that I am not the slightest bit hungry! If I ate the equivalent amount of calories (or volume) of high carb food (bread/pasta/potatoes, etc...) I would still be ravenously hungry.

sixfoot

that is pretty much the same for me, i am now eating at least half as much as before and almost never hungry.
Am now planning to stay on this tack unless anything adverse happens. Had a 6month blood test on tues so get the results in a couple of weeks --- actually cant wait :D

And the irony is my daughter is looking to be a group leader for weight watchers but i havnt the heart to tell her what ive found.

Its raining here but who cares
Dave P :D

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
As far as I know there are no lo-carb diet clubs. But there is HUGE potential there. Imagine telling a yo-yo dieter that he/she can eat THIS daily:

Breakfast:
Fried Egg, Sausage, Bacon, Mushrooms

Lunch:
Chicken Salad (as much Oil based dressing as you like) no croutons

Dinner:
Steak with creamy peppercorn sauce, Mushrooms, Green Beans,

And then telling them that they will not want to eat anywhere near that much. It's a hard thing for a lot of yo-yo dieters to grasp (personal experience here), but lo-carbing makes you STOP wanting to eat!!!

Doczoc

Patch said:
As far as I know there are no lo-carb diet clubs. But there is HUGE potential there. Imagine telling a yo-yo dieter that he/she can eat THIS daily:

Breakfast:
Fried Egg, Sausage, Bacon, Mushrooms

Lunch:
Chicken Salad (as much Oil based dressing as you like) no croutons

Dinner:
Steak with creamy peppercorn sauce, Mushrooms, Green Beans,

And then telling them that they will not want to eat anywhere near that much. It's a hard thing for a lot of yo-yo dieters to grasp (personal experience here), but lo-carbing makes you STOP wanting to eat!!!

Looking at that though isn't the ratio of protein to fat is still very high?

I'm not trying to be critical just trying to understand how to get my fat protein ratio similar to that in the article. That menu is similar to what I would eat in a day but like others struggle to think of how I culd introduce more fat and reduce protein. I've looked at the (vast amounts) of cheese in my fridge and the fat content is only a few more grams than the protein content. Hmmm

I have 3 tablespoons of coconut oil a day, cook in butter and have a tablespoon of flax seed, would that be enough fat?

sixfoot

Doc this is something of a revelation to me as well. I accept the lo Carb way. I simply reduced the protien intake for the size of meal the i currently eat, which is now about half the size it was before. It does seem to have kick started the stall and the result is still the same - no hunger - ample energy etc.

Good luck
Dave P

sixfoot

Literally 2lbs to go to the line.................... bring on the Bacon.

Didnt want to live for ever anyway :D
Dave P

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My cholesterol and triglycerides SHOT down when I started lo-carbing. I'm not concerned woth coronary disease as long as I keep my numbers down...

Trinkwasser

Patch said:
My cholesterol and triglycerides SHOT down when I started lo-carbing. I'm not concerned woth coronary disease as long as I keep my numbers down...

HDL usually increases, which is a Good Thing. LDL *may* increase, but even if it does it is not likely to be the dangerous subtype. Trigs should drop like a stone which will reduce VLDL and once you get the balance right this will probably drop your LDL and increase HDL further: exercise also helps.

Somewhere between Protein Power

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/

and here

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/

you will probably find your own sweet spot