Why so high

celast

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
first thing after getting up it was 8.0 breakfast of shredded wheat 9am mid morning it was 12.0 why is that happening ???
not on any meds yet

tree-peony

because shredded wheat are full of carbs which your body converts very easily into glucose!
try an omelette instead :)

celast

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
tree-peony said:
because shredded wheat are full of carbs which your body converts very easily into glucose!
try an omelette instead :)

Most confused now, I thought Shredded wheat was on of the cerials you could have as a diabetic, which are ok ?

tree-peony

well that sort of depends Celast!

The official line is, as you say, they're allowed, but many of us (me included) can't tolerate them in those sorts of quantities. Nobody can work out exactly what's going to be OK for YOU. All you can do is keep experimenting and testing :)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
In my experience, NO they really spike my BG high. i avoid all breakfast cereals and stick to eggs, cheese, fish and cold meats

celast

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
FergusCrawford said:
In my experience, NO they really spike my BG high. i avoid all breakfast cereals and stick to eggs, cheese, fish and cold meats

What do you have for breakfast ?

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi celast :wave:

I can't tolerate a lot of cereals. The only way to find out is to test, as the others have said that reading shows that you can't tolerate Shreaded Wheat either.

I can manage a bit of porridge, or my favorite which is Lizi's Granola. I have about 30g, half a total yoghurt some raspberries and a few spoonfuls of seeds, sunflower, pumpkin and linseeds. This has no effect on my levels, but you have to test 2 hours after eating anything as what one of us can tolerate others find they can't. It is a minefield, but with the help of the folks on here you'll soon start to find your way through it!

Ann

Pneu

Celast..

All carbohydrate no matter the source convert to glucose which raises your blood sugars... shredded wheat although low in sugar is mostly carbohydrate and therefore will raise your blood sugars quite considerably. Common NHS policy is to suggest that diabetics eat starchy carbohydrate with each meal (hence the shredded wheat)... however many of us do not follow NHS guidelines as we believe them to be outdated and incorrect.

Breakfast is a difficult meal for two reasons:

1. Your body is still swimming with hormones released in the early morning this will reduce the effectiveness of your insulin.

2. Most low or (lower) carbohydrate breakfast options are not always what people are used to eating.

For breakfast I eat an omelette or sometimes a poached egg on 1 piece of burgen bread.. your best bet is to try a number of different things and see how your blood glucose is effected.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I have a small quantity of home-made muesli with cold milk. My wife mixes the oats with various nuts, low-sugar fruit and various seeds to keep it reasonably low-GI. I also have an egg, sometimes with bacon, as protein and fat have little effect on blood sugar.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
For me personally, ANY breakfast cereal is a NO! NO! They are larely made up of starch, which rapidly converts to glucose, whatever your healthcare team may tell you to the contrary.
In fact starch molecules turn 100% into glucose, whereas table sugar only turns 50% into glucose. In fact the other 50% is Fructose which doesn't affect blood sugar and is undesirable for other reasons.
Hana

Sarah1005

I can eat porrige with no problems, I have done for the last 2 years after diagnosis, before then I never ate breakfast at all!

Type 2 since Jan 2010
Currently take 4 x metormin
I Gliclazide
5mcg of Injectable Byetta

Grazer

Some people find they can tolerate a little all bran. Lower in carbs per 100 grams than most cereals. As said, try some then test at two hours.

MaryJ

Hi Celest

I re-iterate what the others have said. try and test. You've tried Shreaded wheat and it's a no.

Personally NO carbs for me for breakie.

Omlette, ham, mushrooms, toms, bacon, cheese, philli, - amy combination of these is my breakie nowadays, hard but the reality

Mary x

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Eggs, boiled, fried, poached, scrambled, add cream butter or mayo. I'm veggie so thats what I have. But you can eat sausage (good quality and check the carbs cos they do add fillers like rusk). Bacon, leftovers in a frittata, omelettes etc.
These can be made the night before and stored in the fridge for a quick getaway in the mornings.

A

Anonymous

Hi Celest

Just use your meter to find out what works for you.... we're all different.

I found out I can tolerate oats based cereals... but I can't really tolerate wheat based cereals... they send my BGLs sky high and I get a sudden drop too.

I pretty much rely on porridge for breakfast and to be honest I quite enjoy it.

I don't eat very much in saturated fats as I'm trying to keep my cholesterol at a good level too. I will eat eggs and very occasional bacon.... but I don't make it a regular meal. You may be different in that it may be ok for you.

I don't go following diets as such... I just figure out what works for me and what doesn't.... that simple. I'm not one to complicate things for myself. :lol:

:D

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mep, Celest is T2 on diet only. S/he can't cover food with insulin.

There are members here who don't avoid saturated fat at all who also restrict their carb intake. Said members are reporting much improved blood lipids.

wiflib

A

Anonymous

wiflib said:
Mep, Celest is T2 on diet only. S/he can't cover food with insulin.

There are members here who don't avoid saturated fat at all who also restrict their carb intake. Said members are reporting much improved blood lipids.

wiflib

yes.... and that's how I started out with diet & exercise only.... but cholesterol results showed I can't eat saturated fats in my diet.... so I keep them to a minimum. I was diagnosed with T2 in 1998 and I only went onto insulin in 2010. Everyone is different for sure :D

Sarah1005

2 hours after my porrige this morn I'm 4.9 but I have the byetta to thank for that, I even put a small sprinkle of sugar on it too!
We are all different though xx