Why the ketones?!

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone,

After a bit of help today.

Bloods have been high today and yesterday and I've had ketones both days.

I put yesterday's down to having a bubble in my tubing (I'm on a pump) but now I'm starting to have my doubts.
At exactly the same time today my bloods went up and I had ketones again.
Nothing major, highest bg today was 14.7 and ketones were 0.5 (got told to go to delivery suite if over 0.6)
And the same happened at the same time yesterday but bloods went up to 18.4 again ketones were 0.5

I don't understand why!
I've eaten the same breakfast as I always eat, bolused the same as usual and set my background to the same amount as every day.
I've doubled my bolus and set my background to 200% (usually 180%)

Nothing else has changed, I've had insulin, I've not been vomiting or had upset stomach (so not starvation ketones) so why have they appeared?

Sorry for the long post I'm just stressed.

I've also changed my infusion set after it happened yesterday and today and it's still happening, which is why I don't think it's the set that's the problem.

Bloods are now 12.8 (usually between 4&7) but have got rid of ketones.

Could it mean labour is coming?!

Thanks in advance.

Claire x

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone,

After a bit of help today.

Bloods have been high today and yesterday and I've had ketones both days.

I put yesterday's down to having a bubble in my tubing (I'm on a pump) but now I'm starting to have my doubts.
At exactly the same time today my bloods went up and I had ketones again.
Nothing major, highest bg today was 14.7 and ketones were 0.5 (got told to go to delivery suite if over 0.6)
And the same happened at the same time yesterday but bloods went up to 18.4 again ketones were 0.5

I don't understand why!
I've eaten the same breakfast as I always eat, bolused the same as usual and set my background to the same amount as every day.
I've doubled my bolus and set my background to 200% (usually 180%)

Nothing else has changed, I've had insulin, I've not been vomiting or had upset stomach (so not starvation ketones) so why have they appeared?

Sorry for the long post I'm just stressed.

I've also changed my infusion set after it happened yesterday and today and it's still happening, which is why I don't think it's the set that's the problem.

Bloods are now 12.8 (usually between 4&7) but have got rid of ketones.

Could it mean labour is coming?!

Thanks in advance.

Claire x
claire
in this sit try and take more blood sugar say 2 hours after insulin bolus and all so drop carb ratio say if 14 carbs down to 12 carb pre1 unit of insulin now when i was a kid my old chap could smell my breath acetion smell he would tell me go for a walk or dig the garden
just to get back to normal
ps in your case try to put up basil rate on all 24 hours if on pump say 1 day by 25 % see how sugars go but poss keep night
basel normal after 10 pm so in morning before breakfast up 25% till 10 pm
now if you find bloods sugars going down to LOW just bring 15%
just a matter of try and find a balance
vic on pump 8 years

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Always check with your DSN and midwife if in any doubt @claire91

I'd guess the ketones are because of your high sugars. Later on in pregnancy, changes in insulin need can be quite sudden, I found, but, having said that, always rule out 'normal' things like 'bad' insulin. So change insulin and set, etc

Also, could you be coming down with any illness, even a cold or upset tummy?

Edited to,add, I've never heard of ketones meaning labour is imminent. You should get other signs of that (normal not diabetic signs)

Reactions: 4 people

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you, I haven't had any other signs of labour it was just a thought.

If it happens again tomorrow then I'll change everything again and take insulin from a new bottle of insulin just in case.
I'll keep upping my dose as well until it comes back down, it was just really sudden.

Don't think I'm coming down with anything but I'll be keeping an eye out for any signs of illness.

Thanks for the reply x

Reactions: 2 people