Why would a hospital lie

pavmas

I went for my yearly check at the local hospital, I was not feeling well but they are not to happy at canceling appointments at short notice so I attended, I was in getting an eye test and I felt funny and was ready to pass out I ended up dizzy on the floor and it was decided by the staff not to carry the full medical out Eyes, feet, blood, urine etc. So they sent a letter to my GP saying he would need to take my blood. The practice nurse brought up my file and it said Refused/Declined treatment. Why would they right this when the truth was I was just to unwell and they decided not to carry on.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A mystery Pavmas, make sure the hospital amend their records to show what really happened.

lisamariebrankin

pavmas said:
I went for my yearly check at the local hospital, I was not feeling well but they are not to happy at canceling appointments at short notice so I attended, I was in getting an eye test and I felt funny and was ready to pass out I ended up dizzy on the floor and it was decided by the staff not to carry the full medical out Eyes, feet, blood, urine etc. So they sent a letter to my GP saying he would need to take my blood. The practice nurse brought up my file and it said Refused/Declined treatment. Why would they right this when the truth was I was just to unwell and they decided not to carry on.

Hiya, i think maybe you are taking the way they have written it as you declined or refused the treatment... could it not mean that they declined you treatment based on the fact that you were too ill???

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Sounds like someone misinterpreted the notes and ticked the box they thought was correct as they didn't have a tickbox for <patient felt funny and nearly passed out>
+1 on noblehead's suggestion.
lisamariebrankins sugestion is possible as coding scheme demonstrates lack of clarity of communication.

pavmas

My practice nurse was quite clear that i declined the treatment that was offered and was amazed when i told her what happened and said she would change them. A few years back my son had his medical at the doctors for entering the police force and the doctor found an irregular heartbeat so made an appointment at the same hospital the week before my son broke his foot at 5 aside football and could not do the treadmill test at the heart unit. The doctor received a letter from the hospital saying heart was normal and monitored for 15 mins on the treadmill, but of course the appointment was canncelled due to his broken foot. Im wondering whether to get my medical records, I have been type1 since 2008 and have been waiting all this time to see a dietician despite mentioning it everytime I go and I have never had my feet checked despite mentioning it and was about to get them checked this time till i took unwell, They could be saying that Im declining treatment all the time yet Im not been offered it.

pavmas

I forgot to mention the timesheet for the treadmill had differnt times on it and was signed by 3 different people and various other tests done ecg etc all normal yet it was a complete fabrication.

lisamariebrankin

WOW, thats REEEEEALLY bad!!!!!
i think to get a copy of your recordsit costs £50... how ever apparently you can book an appointment to view it for free... but you will have to look up how that works.

pavmas

I also forgot to mention that when I passed out and came round they sent me in see the consultant who said you have not did a urine test and you dont want your eyes tested, I said no did they not tell you what happened out there that i took unwell and they said they would rebook the appointment, he did not seem interested and did what he usually does alters my insulin from 20 units to 18 then last time he put it up from 18 to 20 and the next time they will change it back to 20. I posted on here before that its a waste of time going for the annual checkup as they just alter my unit and listen to nothing Im telling them. I told my practice nurse that Im getting my blood done at the doctors now and really dont see the point of attending hospital for which is no treatment at all.

pavmas

lisamariebrankin said:
i think to get a copy of your recordsit costs £50... how ever apparently you can book an appointment to view it for free... but you will have to look up how that works.

I read the max they can charge for hospital records is £10

lisamariebrankin

pavmas said:
lisamariebrankin said:

I read the max they can charge for hospital records is £10

Thats only for computer files, i suppose it would depend on how far back you would like to and if you want any of the paper notes they have on you... i would love to get my records... it would be an interesting read!!

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
pavmas said:

Sorry to tell you this, but hospitals do sometimes lie. We only have to look at the news to realise that, although we don't perhaps want to accept it. That's why I ask for copies of my clinic letters.

I suspect in your case either a box was ticked or the person completing your notes couldn't be bothered writing "Patient too ill for tests to be performed" or they couldn't be bothered to explain why they felt they couldn't perform the tests. It looks better for them to say the patient refused or declined treatment. If you had complained afterwards, that would be their recorded reason for you not having your allotted tests.

There have also been instances where doctors have misheard something a patient has said, the misinformation then goes down in their notes and in the clinic letter to the patient's GP and turns into Chinese Whispers - and the sad and dangerous thing is, the patient has no idea what's happened and has no opportunity to correct it.

If what happened to you had happened to me, I'd write a letter to the PALS Department of the hospital in question asking for the reason this error occurred and asking them to put the matter right. I'd copy the GP into that letter too.

As far as I know the NHS is the only large organisation which makes very personal notes about people, but doesn't show them to the person and ask them to sign them as being accurate. We just blindly cooperate with them because that's what we've always done and we've been led to believe that the medical profession is infallible and beyond reproach.

bobismad

+1 for getting a copy of all correspondance, between hospital and gp, past experience has shown that sometimes they do get it wrong....

Bob

Signs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had an itchy discolouration on the back of my leg. After many GP visits and mis-diagnosis I sent to the dermatologist who immediately diagnosed "venous acne". I was told my GP surgery would be informed and to collect a prescription in a couple of days time.

I collected the tube of ointment and applied "lightly, 3 times daily" for 10 days.

It made no difference whatsoever. Next time I was at the doc I asked and after a few minutes looking into it and comparing dermatologists notes to receptionist notes, the reception had received the information orally and had heard "anus acne"

I had been rubbing ass cream on my leg for 10 days.

Still got the rash, although it doesn;t itch anymore unless it's too warm.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Signs said:
the reception had received the information orally and had heard "anus acne"

Trying to picture having acne there! I wonder whether it would be itchy and how you would deal with that?

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Signs said:
I had an itchy discolouration on the back of my leg. After many GP visits and mis-diagnosis I sent to the dermatologist who immediately diagnosed "venous acne". I was told my GP surgery would be informed and to collect a prescription in a couple of days time.

I collected the tube of ointment and applied "lightly, 3 times daily" for 10 days.

It made no difference whatsoever. Next time I was at the doc I asked and after a few minutes looking into it and comparing dermatologists notes to receptionist notes, the reception had received the information orally and had heard "anus acne"

I had been rubbing ass cream on my leg for 10 days.

Still got the rash, although it doesn;t itch anymore unless it's too warm.

Yep ... that sort of error is also quite common. It's the result of very poor or non-existent training and inexperience of staff, again due to financial reasons.