Type 2 Why?

Katkeeper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been diabetes 2 for over 2 yrs & I inject insulin twice a day.
I also take Metformin but it makes me feel awful acute pain in my stomach
up to my chest, regular vomiting bringing up bile. Why do I have to take Metformin
as well as insulin, does anyone else have a similar problem. I am getting so
depressed.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are not alone in having trouble with Metformin. If it is the slow release version then you will probably have less trouble and again if you ensure you take it with meals then that also helps.

The bottom line is that you are not supposed to be given medicine for the purpose of making you feel ill and it is your choice whether or not you wish to carry on like this. See you DN or Dr. and explain your problem.

Personally I don't know why Metformin is prescribed to someone on insulin. While you are talking to your HCP you can ask them and come back on here with the answer.

Reactions: 2 people

Katkeeper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You are not alone in having trouble with Metformin. If it is the slow release version then you will probably have less trouble and again if you ensure you take it with meals then that also helps.

The bottom line is that you are not supposed to be given medicine for the purpose of making you feel ill and it is your choice whether or not you wish to carry on like this. See you DN or Dr. and explain your problem.

Personally I don't know why Metformin is prescribed to someone on insulin. While you are talking to your HCP you can ask them and come back on here with the answer.

Thank you for your reply. I was taking Metformin before they put me onto Insulin, as tablets alone were not controlling my
levels. I have asked my GP about stopping the Metformin but he said no, is there not a similar medication with less side
effects that I could try...he is not the most helpful of doctors & doesn't seem to care.
Incidentally I do take Metformin with meals.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not a doctor so I am limited in the advice I can give but since the pills alone were not controlling your levels I wonder what help they are now. There are other medications that are stronger than Metformin but none as effective as insulin which you already use. I still don't understand the need for both at the same time. I have come across opinions that say that Metformin has other benefits "down the line" but never any clear evidence as to what those benefits are.

Katkeeper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am not a doctor so I am limited in the advice I can give but since the pills alone were not controlling your levels I wonder what help they are now. There are other medications that are stronger than Metformin but none as effective as insulin which you already use. I still don't understand the need for both at the same time. I have come across opinions that say that Metformin has other benefits "down the line" but never any clear evidence as to what those benefits are.

Thank you very much for your help.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Even some Type 1s take metformin aswell as their insulin so it's not that rare even for people who've been on insulin since diagnosis. Type 2s are more likely to have insulin resistance and Metformin can help with insulin resistance. So both the insulin and the metformin have slightly different jobs.

However, if it's making you feel ill, do talk to your doctor again. That can't be nice and you shouldn't have to put up with that.

Katkeeper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Even some Type 1s take metformin aswell as their insulin so it's not that rare even for people who've been on insulin since diagnosis. Type 2s are more likely to have insulin resistance and Metformin can help with insulin resistance. So both the insulin and the metformin have slightly different jobs.

However, if it's making you feel ill, do talk to your doctor again. That can't be nice and you shouldn't have to put up with that.

Thank you for the reply.