1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Wife of T1D concerned about Covid

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by Wifeoftype1, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Wifeoftype1

Wifeoftype1 · Newbie

Hi, I'm brand new to this, my husband is T1D and suggested we join the forum to find out more info.
    I'm currently really anxious about him going out and about to work etc because of the Covid situation.
    Are there any other partners of T1D feeling this?
    I don't understand how T1D wasn't on the shielding list, but they're in the top list for getting the vaccine?

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

HI, I am number 6 on the vaccine list and that's fine for me. Many of us type 1's still work ( I travel to school with children who have SEN) but we are not at the top of the vaccine list.
    Distancing, washing hands, hand gel and wearing masks is the best way.
    Take care.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Don't forget ventilation - belatedly now being advised by the NHS:

upload_2020-12-2_18-42-20.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  4. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The vaccine priority list is a good reflection of the risks for diabetics. We also have a lot of data on actual risks and know that advanced age is 22 x risk factor whereas diabetes type 1 is 3x. 3 x of what? The population mortality risk is estimated to be 0.3-0.7% with the higher end being somewhere like NY where more people are fat, diabetic and/or vitamin D deficient. That gives me type 1 with no other issues out at 0.9-2.1% risk of death also comparable to the length of various daily car journeys if you frame it in terms of something we do without much thought of the risk.

Those stats apply to the situation in the Spring when we were far more vulnerable but now a lot of people have had this virus and depending on where you live there's less risk of infection judging by actual hospitalisation and death rates which are much lower despite the fear mongering going on by the media/government. Its been described as the 2nd bounce of a water skimming pebble.

Anyway this is why I am happily working and going about my daily life with hand washing but not much more. The risks of me not working are greater for me (loss of income and mental health) and I suppose this is what you have to weigh up with your husband.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Does anyone actually do this or have it done to them other than those poor kids sitting in lessons in their coats? Maybe just men and Northerners!

6. sleepster

sleepster Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have type 1 (but other health problems too) and my husband is certainly very worried about me getting covid :nailbiting:
    I don't work and he works from home so we don't have to worry about going out to work, but really we've barely left the house since March.

7. kaylz91

kaylz91 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

At the moment our bathroom window is wide open everyday as we have workmen in, I don't see why though as the majority aren't wearing masks while in our home although they are tested weekly due to the fact they are entering folks homes, its the first contact I've had with anyone else bar my mum and partner since March and with suffering OCD I'm freaking every day xx

• Hug Hug x 1
  8. TashT1

TashT1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My kids are at school. Vests & fingerless gloves!

The way I read it is we have to take extra care but that means different things to different people. I’m happy working from home, going to collect the kids from school twice a day, wearing a mask & only shopping in person when I have to. Having said that I have a job that suits working from home, I can online shop & when I can’t my very healthy 17yr old son can go out for me. It’s hard not to worry but if a T1 has good control they will hopefully be able to control their glucose enough to avoid getting seriously ill.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.. Your husband too. :)

Yarp, "covids." My wife has been a little concerned.

How long has your husband been T1?
    Would he mind us knowing his age?
    & what does he do for a proffession..? (Risk assessment point of view.)

10. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Mechanics, tire fitters. Builders. Engineers. Landscapers The list goes on... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Robinredbreast

The above are things I do, but the taxi/minibus driver sometimes has the front window open a few inches.

12. Robinredbreast

Yes, the school driver does, driver is male and but we live in the South.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook