wife pregnant 4 previous miscarriages - UPDATE!!!

chris4981

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all don't know if you remember but I posted on here about 2-3 weeks back about my wife being pregnant and having the 4 previous miscarriages?
Well we have had the scan on Thursday gone, and had a brilliant outcome she was 11 weeks and 5 days, so touch wood and everything else, she is past the safety point of 12 weeks now.

The problem she has now is she bought an angel sounds Doppler machine but cant find babys heartbeat, ive researched it online and loads have said you more than likely wont hear heartbeat that early, bu my wife was getting worried none the less. She is 20 stone so told her might struggle to get through anyway (I said that in a nice way cos of her mood swings lol)

Has anyone else tried and failed with a Doppler? any bit of reassurance for her would b a help

Thanks

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi all don't know if you remember but I posted on here about 2-3 weeks back about my wife being pregnant and having the 4 previous miscarriages?
Well we have had the scan on Thursday gone, and had a brilliant outcome she was 11 weeks and 5 days, so touch wood and everything else, she is past the safety point of 12 weeks now.

The problem she has now is she bought an angel sounds Doppler machine but cant find babys heartbeat, ive researched it online and loads have said you more than likely wont hear heartbeat that early, bu my wife was getting worried none the less. She is 20 stone so told her might struggle to get through anyway (I said that in a nice way cos of her mood swings lol)

Has anyone else tried and failed with a Doppler? any bit of reassurance for her would b a help

Thanks
No knowlege of doppler machines only hearty well dones

Becky 123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think some times they cause more worry than reassurance. I nearly got one but I read so many reports of not hearing anything. Also 12 weeks is early to do one, baby will be really low down and still tiny. I would watch you tube to get an idea where to place Doppler.

But try not to worry most midwifes won't try until 15-16 weeks and they know what they are doing.

Good luck

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wanted to say a massive congratulations to you both what an exciting time .

I haven't got no advice on the Doppler as was said above I decided not to get one as I would of drove myself insane lol .
But I do agree 12 weeks is very early to try and find the heart beat it's tricky enough for the midwifes when baby is bigger to get the Doppler in the right position let alone at 12 weeks when baby is still very tiny . That did make me laugh in your post , ( said it in a nice way because of mood swings ) good old pregnancy hormones .

Good luck for the rest of your journey .

Best wishes .

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great news! Thank you for the update.

I had a Doppler but I always reminded myself it wasn't foolproof. 11 weeks is quite early. You may catch the heartbeat, you may not. It depends on the position of the baby and the placenta.

I would tell your wife not to worry, and to treat the Doppler as an extra 'fun' thing not a medical device. Id also advise she leaves it a while before trying again. Even the local midwife didn't try to listen to my baby's heart until around 18 weeks as not finding it can cause anxiety.

chris4981

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
thanx azure she saw a midwife yesterday and even she said they struggle to find a heartbeat with a woman at 20 weeks

Reactions: 2 people

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I brought a dropler at 16 weeks and struggled to find baby's heart beat then, it took me hours!
They do say you can't always find it till Atleast 14 weeks of pregnancy. There brilliant things but terrible at the same time as it does make you worry!
Tell your wife her uterus still hasn't properly popped out of her pelvis yet too and this won't help either.
X

Reactions: 2 people