Will baby get Diabetes when older?

debbietowns

Hi, all,
I had Gestational diabetes twice and now have type 2. I have wondered for years if there is any evidence that a baby born to a mum with gestational is more likely to develop diabetes? I asked the consultant during my pregnancy and he assured me that it was not the case. However i am concerned as my 11 year old seems to get very shakey and has lots of low sugar problems. It seems to me that it could be the case, especially as the first time i was undiagnosed until 30 weeks pregnancy as my results were lost!
Thanks
Debbie

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Debbie,
Both my girls have Type 1. Their consultant has reassured us that there is no link between this and the very mild gestational diabetes I had in my second pregnancy. I didn't have it at all in my 1st pregnancy and that daughter was diagnosed first, so I am inclined to think there is no link, in my case anyway.

If your daughter were developing Type 1 diabetes, she would be running high blood sugars rather than low, so would not really be feeling dizzy/shaky (symptoms of low BS) but rather extremely thirsty, weeing a LOT, very tired/listless, and poss grumpy. These are the usual early symptoms of Type 1 developing, things can quickly get a lot worse after that if it isn't spotted and treated. Type 2 is very rare in children, but not impossible.

If you are concerned at all, please take her to the Dr and get her tested. A urine sample can be tested with a strip quite easily.

Hope this helps.
Best wishes
Sue

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
T1 is not thought to be hereditary. T2 is strongly familial, but I have inherited it and my brother hasn't :? He claims it's because he was rowing all his youth. But then what about Steve Redgrave?
However. If it happens, you will cope. It probably won't so, keep looking at what is and not what might not ever happen and enjoy your baby.
Hana

jopar

In the case of Type 1, there is a slightly higher chance of baby getting diabetes against a baby born to an non-diabetic mother, Type 2 is slightly higher as well and can be more previlant in famlies, not sure how the figures tally up if when mum was carrying though or whether there needs to be other family history also..

I had two of my three children after I was dignoised as a diabetic, and none of them so far have gone on to developed diabetes and the oldest is 23 and my youngest is 18 in a couple of months time...

My husband is also a Type 1 and his son hasn't gone on to develope diabetes, and they say the chances are higher for diabetic fathers to pass the gene down the line..

Dipsy

I've had gestational diabetes the last few pregnancies, and now my Dad has been diagnosed with type 2, although he has managed to lose a little weight and get back into normal results. I believe type 2 can run in families, but I do wonder how much of that might be due to having the same eating/lifestyle habbits? I believe I'm in the best position to bring my children up to eat a healthy diet and live a healthy lifestyle to minimise the risks - obviously some fit and slim people still get type 2 diabetes though. We make healthy food a priority in our finances, and teach the children to cook healthily with real ingredients. I hope this will make a difference.

carldon14

Hi there,

I have Type 2 and been diagnosed for just under 2 months. Unfortunately, my dad died in May 2009 and my mum can't tell me if anyone on both sides of our family have had the disease.

Interestingly, although I didn't have gestational diabetes with my two pregnancies, my sister had whilst carrying her daughter. Does anyone know of a link between gestational and adult onset diabetes? Both my children were large babies, 9lb7oz and 9lb5oz and my sister's daughter was 9lb10oz! I live in Norway and sometimes, the language barrier can be a bit of a problem. Just wondered if there was a link as the hereditary link worries me for my children's future.

Donna

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
carldon14 said:
Hi there,

I have Type 2 and been diagnosed for just under 2 months. Unfortunately, my dad died in May 2009 and my mum can't tell me if anyone on both sides of our family have had the disease.

Interestingly, although I didn't have gestational diabetes with my two pregnancies, my sister had whilst carrying her daughter. Does anyone know of a link between gestational and adult onset diabetes? Both my children were large babies, 9lb7oz and 9lb5oz and my sister's daughter was 9lb10oz! I live in Norway and sometimes, the language barrier can be a bit of a problem. Just wondered if there was a link as the hereditary link worries me for my children's future.

Donna

Hi Donna.
Welcome to the Forum. This is a very old thread you have dredged up from 2009. However the information you are seeking may be contained in this link which is all about Gestational Diabetes and other matters relating.......... There is a connection or I should say CAN be. It's American but sound info.

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/gestational/

runner22

I think that it is more likely to get diabetes when older if it runs in your family. I don't think that having gestation diabetes will make them more susceptible. However, I am not a doctor, so you might want to ask either your pediatrician or you OB/GYN.