Will my leg pain reduce

Funfly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am 73 and was diagnosed with T2 just over a year ago. I have just this week been put on oral medication to try to get the levels more acceptable.
Not really worried as I have a pretty good life, just one thing I would like to know;
I have quite a bit of leg pain (as well as the feeling in my feet gone).
My question is; will my leg pain simply reduce as my sugar levels reduce or will I have to deal with this additionally?

benedict

Administrator
Hi Funfly, welcome to the forum :)

With good control, it may be possible to reduce or stop the pain. I don't want to raise hopes too much but people on our forum have reported that they have been able to reduce symptoms similar to this.

See a similar thread that was posted quite recently
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25081&p=229315

Getting good control takes time and commitment but the forum here can be a useful mentor and many people have seen exceptional improvement in control since joining.

robertmiles

Depends on what part of the nerves to your legs heal first. If it's the part that carries the pain to your brain, the pain may even increase for a while. If it's the part that senses the pain, the pain should decrease. Once both have healed as much as they can, it will depend on how much each part was able to heal.

Ash.J.S

Hello Funfly,

I am 18 and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in March 2011. I remember when I was in hospital just after I had been diagnosed and I myself also experienced quite bad leg pains particularly in my knees, but soon after I was put onto insulin the pain subsided in a matter of a day. However of course considering our age difference this may take a bit longer for you but from what I can tell as your glucose levels come into the normal range and remain there all ill-feelings should go!

Hope I helped :)