1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Will of iron??

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Tony337, Aug 13, 2021.

1. Tony337

Tony337 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good morning

Type 1 with bad guts here.

7am i'm in work and unexpectedly my levels dropped to below 3 and had an attack (I use the term in context) of bad guts at the same time...…

I'm wobbling around an empty building doing the same job I've been doing for the last 12 years....

Its now after 8 am and I'm currently 5.6 at my desk with a fine cup of coffee ….

I'm not seeking sympathy or questions as to how this happened i'm just contemplating the meaning of life and genuinely wonder whether I have a will of iron or am I just plain thick??

or a bit of both?

Have a fantastic Friday everyone and please note this post is supposed to be good natured x

Tony

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Ouch, going below 3 is scary, let alone combining it with other issues. Any idea what caused the hypo?

• Like Like x 1
  3. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Without going into too much detail, I have experienced a hypo at the same time as "guts problems" when the food I ate went straight through and was not digested. So the bolus insulin I took was not used.

I hope you feel better soon.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hey @Tony337 Sorry to hear about your hypo, hope you're feeling ok now ?

Same as In Response, i've had a poorly stomach where food hasn't been digested and levels dropped, it's not a great experience, so hope it's a one off for you and the rest of your day goes much better.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Tony337

Tony337 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi
    I'm fine now just tired.
    My post wasn't about cause and effect.
    Its that ability to "carry on " when you are feeling rough although is it ability or determination or stubbornness?

I'm at 5.6 with a little arrow telling me i'm dropping at a slow rate.

Onwards and upwards

Tony

• Like Like x 4
  6. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Sorry I should of added that yes a will of iron is necessary - apart from numerous times with daughter trying to sort myself out on a day out or shopping trip, as well as at work, i've had hypos before dinner parties in the past, so as guests have been arriving as i've been cowering in the kitchen trying to get levels up whilst cooking, they take time to recover from so depending on the hypo it can take a good while to feel 'right' again. It's the one thing I hate the most about being t1..

• Like Like x 1
  7. LionChild

LionChild LADA · Well-Known Member

Just the will to live, methinks!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Erin

Erin Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  9. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think its amazing what you can do with only the fumes of fuel in your tank and your rational brain telling you not to panic. Not so much a will of iron as an experienced type 1.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook