Wine drinkers may hold key to health

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
PEOPLE who drink half a bottle of wine a day are healthier than teetotallers, according to a new study.

Drinking three glasses of wine a day could lead to less stress, according to researchers.

They studied almost 150,000 French people, who are known for loving a tipple, and found those who enjoyed low or moderate intake of alcohol were fitter than those who never touched it or drank to excess

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/176 ... to-health-

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Daily Mail article is explains more - articles like these worry me slightly as people often just see what they want to see - e.g. drinking is good for you - a quote from the article I have posted below sums things up for me

"June Davison, of the British Heart Foundation, said that while small amounts of alcohol may be beneficial, large quantities can cause high blood pressure, strokes and some cancers".

I have noticed on a lot of the db forums that drinking in small amounts is good for lowering BS - while I enjoy a drink as much as the next person and have no intention of not having my occasional couple of glasses of red when out for an evening - It concerns me slightly that some people reading that it lowers BS will use alcohol as a self medicating tool to allow them to eat more and keep their levels down rather than as an occasional treat and may be storing up problems for the future.

Having said that if you enjoy a drink why not? - as long as like everything else it's in moderation - a couple of units a day is fine - but I know that my "units" at home differ a lot for the offical units :wink: :lol:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Spot on Lovinglife.
One poster elsewhere had got his units seriously mixed up and having much more than he thought which as you say, is not good for anybody. Pub measures and home measures are frequently way out of line !

One alcohol unit is measured as 10ml or 8g of pure alcohol. This equals one 25ml single measure of whisky (ABV 40%), or a third of a pint of beer (ABV 5-6%) or half a standard (175ml) glass of red wine (ABV 12%).

Here's a drinks calculator which is useful if you want to check out individual drinks.
http://www.drinkaware.co.uk/tips-and-tools/drink-diary/

I too like the occasional 'tipple' and a Pint of Guinness a couple of times a week, I love a glass of Red Wine sometimes. As LL says, everything is good in moderation. Now that is from someone who was considered a serious hard drinker years ago. I was called 'The Fish'.....draw your own conclusions !
:oops:

Ken

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
cugila said:
I was called 'The Fish'.....draw your own conclusions !

Was it due to your scaly skin?

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
noblehead said:
cugila said:
I was called 'The Fish'.....draw your own conclusions !

Was it due to your scaly skin?

Nigel

Nah !...........that's just a Red Herring Nigel....... :wink:

Dippy3103

I must admit that I am very partial to a glass or three of red.
But if only for the calorie count alone I moderate my intake. More than a couple of glasses and will power goes flying out the window and I am hitting the crisps, cheese and crackers with it! :twisted:
that said, I had a couple of glasses last night and have just tested and my bsl is slightly lower than it usually is.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I've adopted a more continental approach to drinking since my betes diagnosis and now regularly drink 2 or 3 glasses of red wine a night with my evening meal.

In fact, I'm hardly drinking any whisky at all now so perhaps need to consider changing my name and avatar. 8) :lol: :twisted:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ardbeg said:
I've adopted a more continental approach to drinking since my betes diagnosis and now regularly drink 2 or 3 glasses of red wine a night with my evening meal.

In fact, I'm hardly drinking any whisky at all now so perhaps need to consider changing my name and avatar. 8) :lol: :twisted:

The Scottish Distilleries will be on short time working soon Jim! :lol:

Nigel

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
ShyGirl said:
If I read one more "breakthrough" story that isn't true , I will scream!

Don't do that until you have found some good and safe throat lozenges! :lol: :roll: