anniflower

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people.
Bullying
Obsessions and extremism
T2 ID. I'm following a low carb regime and doing fine. But I have a cold and an irritating cough at present. Any ideas about OTC medications that could help alleviate symptoms? I know the cold has to run its course, but lack of sleeping through being unable to breathe easily and coughing is irritating. I know that compared with some medical issues aired on here, this is trivia, but I'd welcome some advice?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm glad the lc is working for you and hope your BG is coming down, as to cough mixture and such, just ask the chemist for a sugar free one, i use senega and ammonia. ask dr if you think you also may need ventolin/puffer to ease your breathing?

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had a hacking cough for 8 weeks.
Everyone in the house has it. So annoying.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@anniflower There are many gimmicks out there "simple linctus,free from sugar" is economical and just as effective as the rest for a cough.
However best stay in doors with plenty of comfort until it goes away.
best of luck and hope it goes away well before Christmas.:)

Reactions: 2 people

anniflower

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people.
Bullying
Obsessions and extremism

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @anniflower . With similar symptoms to yours I got Pavacol-D (pholcodine) sugar-free cough mixture and took a slug, er, correct dose every night which held the cough at bay so I slept quite well. My BS readings were up a bit for a while but I think you can expect that with a cold. Hope you feel better soon.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
To ease your breathing try adding a few drops of Olbas oil to a bowl of hot water and breath in the vapours, always works and clears any congestion.

anniflower

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people.
Bullying
Obsessions and extremism
The pharmacist gave me Robitussin. I'll see how I get on. Thanks for the reminder re Olbas oil. Used to use something like that for the kids, I think Karvol sprinkled on the pyjamas worked a treat. I'll give that a go, too.

anniflower

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people.
Bullying
Obsessions and extremism
I just googled carbs in Lemsip. 5g per sachet. I reckon I can risk that.

I know people say that hot lemon and paracetamol work the same, but I like Lemsip when feeling cold and shivery, and I don't have any lemons or paracetamol handy. Lemsip left over from when my other half had man-flu!