1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Work and low blood sugars!

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Nicola M, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Nicola M

Nicola M Type 1 · Well-Known Member

So I've recently started my job as a housekeeper having previously done work experience there. Everyday without fail I have a low blood sugars at approx 2:30pm. My diabetes nurse has lowered my basal rate to 0.225u/h and will more than likely be lowering it again. I have lunch at around 12:30pm and I have 40g of carbs I do 4 units of insulin for that (1:10 ratio for lunch) 2 hours later at 2:30 my sugars have dropped to around 2.5 and it doesn't matter whether at dinner my sugars were 5.0 or 15.0 it still drops to 2.5. Having checked at 2:30pm I still have around 2 units still active and so the inevitable thing that happens is that I go low again. I'm on my feet for 6 hours a day and am constantly running so I know that can affect me but having never done anything like this before I'm not really sure what to do. I can't speak to my diabetes nurse until the end of this week and so though some of you guys could help me as the constant low sugars are driving me crazy and are wearing me out and it's making my work performance suffer.

2. Natalie1974

Natalie1974 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I wonder if due to increased exercise in your new job that you may need to tweak your lunchtime bolus ratio. As this is happening only a couple of hours after lunch it would seem likely that it's more to do with your bolus than your basal. Having said that I wonder if @donnellysdogs as a former pump user may be better placed to answer your question.

• Like Like x 2
  3. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

You could use a TBR 2 hours before your low bg levels or do a 1:20 ratio for lunch, you could even use both and see how it goes.

• Like Like x 4
  4. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

I'd experiment with changing your lunchtime ratio and see how that goes. Because your low is so close to lunch, it looks like you might not need so much insulin for that meal now.

It's annoying having your blood sugar go low like that when you've got work to do. I hope you get it sorted soon

• Like Like x 2
  5. Atalay

Atalay Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Weirdly, that feels like you do not need to get insulin, looking at how less intake you are having. That less amount of insulin and having low bg in couple of hours suggest your body produces enough insulin. Are you sure you are T1?

• Like Like x 2
  6. dannyw

dannyw Type 1 · BANNED

I agree with the others, because of an increase in activity, you probably need to adjust lunchtime ration. Try 1:15 and see how you get on.

• Like Like x 2
  7. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Perhaps have a small lunch without a bolus and see what happens.

8. Nicola M

Nicola M Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Defiantly am Type 1 and have been for 17 years. My basal rate increases when I'm not at work as well and funnily enough today I had lunch and forgot to take my bolus (forgetful as usual) and ended up going high!

Thank-you to all of you for the great suggestions, will try a different ratio tomorrow with lunch and see how it goes! :D

• Like Like x 2
  9. yingtong

yingtong Type 1 · Well-Known Member

As noblehead said try a TBR2 of75% of your basal rate for a couple hours.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook